Profile for Islander > Reviews

Content by Islander

Islander (UK)

A1CS 7" RAPID5 DUAL-CORE (2*1.4) TABLET - ANDROID 4.1 JELLY-BEAN - CAPACITIVE MULTI TOUCH SCREEN - SUPPORTS  YOUTUBE, IPLAYER SITE
A1CS 7" RAPID5 DUAL-CORE (2*1.4) TABLET - ANDROID 4.1 JELLY-BEAN - CAPACITIVE MULTI TOUCH SCREEN - SUPPORTS YOUTUBE, IPLAYER SITE

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little tablet, 26 Feb 2013
Bought as a Christmas present for my son. I know very little about the Android operating system but, fortunately, my brother-in-law was with us and had his Nexus (which is his main device these days) so he was able to show my son how to use the tablet. I found it fiddly to set up the wi-fi connection (using the virtual keyboard) so he got a case with integrated keyboard for it. He seems very happy with it but says sometimes the wifi is a bit flaky.

Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White
Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White
Offered by ARC UK
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Small but usable mp3 player, 29 Jun 2012
I wanted an mp3 player to replace my beloved Archos Gmini 2Gb which finally died this year. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because my Blackberry phone has an mp3 player however I don't want to knock or drop that because it's much more expensive to replace than the Kubik Evo. So I was looking for an inexpensive mp3 player with a good amount of storage both built-in and expandable.
The player is small and light, fairly plastic in construction (nothing like the metal case of the Gmini)and rather quirky. The sequence of button presses to move through the menus can be counter-intuitive and annoying to master but, once done, it's fairly easy. If you want to play music using the Directory instead of just the music program, it can take eight or more clicks before you finally reach your goal which is rather a nuisance.
The one thing I don't like about this player is the screen. Even at maximum brightness, I can only read it indoors - once I'm out-of-doors, even on a dull or cloudy day, the screen is not viewable enough to navigate.
So overall, I'm giving it three stars because, even with better navigation and a much better screen, it would probably be four star at most.

Genuine Leather Case for Kubik Evo MP3 & Video Player - Evo White
Genuine Leather Case for Kubik Evo MP3 & Video Player - Evo White

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little case for Kubik Evo, 29 Jun 2012
Perfectly usable little case. Fits my Kubik Evo mp3 player well and protects it from knocks. It has a magnetic flap rather than an actual physical fastener but it's been OK in my bag.

Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook, Atom N270, 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Fifteen months after purchasing this item ..., 24 Jun 2010
... and being really happy with my pink Samsung NC 10 netbook, it has now developed a fault which, on searching the web, seems to be worryingly common with both the NC10 and its successor, the NC20.
I turned on my netbook this afternoon and, instead of being presented with the Windows XP log in screen, I found myself faced with a blank bright white screen. Even worse, it started to blink on-and-off intermittently - first the log in screen then a white screen - for several minutes.
I headed straight for my desktop computer and did an online search (Samsung NC 10 + white screen) to find that many people have experienced this mysterious 'white screen' problem. There seems to be a general consensus of opinion that it's caused by a dodgy ribbon cable connection and a startling number of owners have had to invoke warranty repair to send their NC10 back to Samsung to remedy the situation.
I managed to turn off my netbook, press gently on the lid near the corners and restart it. Fortunately this time the screen display worked and I promptly used the Samsung Backup utility to back up the entire computer. Unfortunately, I bought this netbook from Amazon in March 2009 and I suspect that the warranty has already expired. I'm hoping that Samsung will be helpful when I contact them to report this fault ....

The Wheel of the Wiccan Year
The Wheel of the Wiccan Year
by Gail Duff
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Through the seasons with "The Wheel of the Wiccan Year", 7 Feb 2003
The author of "The Wheel of the Wiccan Year", Gail Duff, is described as "writer, broadcaster, speech therapist, singer, song-writer, dancer, folk animateur and community arts worker" which gives a good indication of her background. It also explains why group celebrations are a significant part of the book, featuring drama and spoken declamations with casts of characters and choreographed actions. That is not to say that the solitary practitioner should feel left out, since each
Sabbat celebrations can easily be tailored for the single celebrant.
In her introduction, she explains that a reader can embark on her book at any point since there is no beginning or end to a wheel. Then she begins with a section about Wicca before moving on to brief sections about The Goddess and God and the Elements. The significance of the Wheel of the Year with its Sabbat celebrations follows together with advice about working alone or in a group and how to make use of the book itself. There is a section about the history of the Book of Shadows and tips for creating your own before she moves on to advice about tools and equipment. The section about Rituals includes indoor and outdoor venues, the altar and preparing yourself. She explains how to cast a Circle, although she is quite insistent on the 'protection' aspect to keep out "any evil influences" which I found rather concerning, and Calling on the Elements first then Calling on the Goddess and God to share the ritual. It is brought to a close with Cakes and Wine, winding down, enjoying the post-ritual celebrations and a humorous reminder that, if things go wrong, don't be afraid to laugh!
Each Sabbat has a separate chapter in the book which includes the Festival and its meaning, legends underlying it, aspects of the Goddess and God associated with the Sabbat, folk customs, meditations, craft projects, symbols, seasonal foods and finishes with a group drama presentation or complete ritual appropriate for that particular Sabbat.
I enjoyed this book very much and consider it an invaluable addition to my pagan bookshelf since Gail Duff's writing style is easy to follow and flows well. I found it easy to dip into the book at any time for ideas and inspiration but feel that it should be used selectively rather than followed slavishly. The rituals are accessible and easily tailored to serve both solitary or group celebrations while the meditations are helpful in following the Wheel of the Year through its seasons. (I don't envisage using the quite long and complex group dramatisations which are a major feature of the book, but they might be useful for covens designing their own Sabbat celebrations) "The Wheel of the Wiccan Year" is subtitled "How to enrich your life through the magic of the seasons" and I feel I can recommend it to anyone who wishes to celebrate their Sabbats in tune with Nature.