Profile for C. Andrews > Reviews

Content by C. Andrews

C. Andrews (Wentzville MO)

James Bond on Location Volume 2: U.K. (Excluding London) Standard Edition
James Bond on Location Volume 2: U.K. (Excluding London) Standard Edition
by J. P. Sperati

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice travel guides for the serious or casual Bond enthusiast, 9 Jan. 2015
I am combining my review of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 as my comments apply to both. The thrust of these guide books is as stated on the cover almost wholly the film series, with a few references to the books and Fleming personally.

It is truly amazing how the filmmakers can fool us into thinking we are in a far away place, or let us mentally fill in the blanks when a location is only suggested. Of course, most film companies will stay in their own country as much as possible to save on money.

I didn't mind the historical background provided, as I begin to realize that visiting some locations would be something of an anti-climax. Things are usually never as exciting as a movie makes them seem to be. Speaking from across the pond, I would probably limit my visits to sites that had some other points of interest, unless I happen to be going to a location anyway.

My principal complaint is the number of typographical errors in both volumes. Surely in this day and age misspellings, grammatical errors and dangling sentences and captions should be caught by modern computer programs.

I still look forward to seeing this series completed with Vol. 3.

James Bond on Location Volume 1: London
James Bond on Location Volume 1: London
by J. P. Sperati

I still look forward to seeing this series completed with Vol. 3.

D-Day Dispatches: Original Recordings from the BBC Sound Archives, 6.6.44 (BBC Radio Collections)
by British Broadcasting Corporation
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC Radio Collection 2004, 9 Jun. 2014
21 cuts of transmissions, edited and sequenced to give the flow of the invasion from preparation through execution, dated from June 5 through 20, 1944. Gives the British perspective and experience. Originally released on cassette tape in 1984, Montgomery leads off and Eisenhower comes in at the second half.

The Guns Of Navarone (Les Canons De Navarone)
The Guns Of Navarone (Les Canons De Navarone)

4.0 out of 5 stars RDM CD638, 5 April 2014
One additional note that this appears to be CD-R media. There is actual studio noise noticeable in track 11, which we likely don't hear when the film is playing.

Bo Le Jour Le Plus Long & Des Films De La Seconde
Bo Le Jour Le Plus Long & Des Films De La Seconde

4.0 out of 5 stars Milan 399 485-2 cd, 30 Mar. 2014
Music from war films composed or arranged by Maurice Jarre. 10 cuts from The Longest Day, 2 cuts from Taxi To Tobruk, 1 cut from Is Paris Burning, 1 cut from Battle Of The Rails, 1 cut from The Tranquil Father, and 5 cuts from Forbidden Games. The selections from The Longest Day are not arranged in filmed order. The other multiple cuts from two films are mostly theme variations. Still a worthwhile cd for fans of Jarre.

Wiped! Doctor Who's Missing Episodes
Wiped! Doctor Who's Missing Episodes
by Richard Molesworth

4.0 out of 5 stars Wiped! Updated Edition lays it on the line, 23 July 2013
Any Doctor Who fan that really wants to know what happened should read this rather than spread rumors. The BBC knows more than any entity what they have lost by not saving more television shows for syndication.

What is also apparent is that missing episodes may only reappear from now on with luck and diligence. I think that most of what can be done from a central location like BBC has been done. Widely dispersed fans in the field with some knowledge of film archiving, and a related real world job that gives them access, would have the most chance. It's legwork, not internet traffic at this point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 7:46 PM BST