Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for trumbles mum > Reviews

Content by trumbles mum

trumbles mum "whocares" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
How Children Learn (Penguin Education)
How Children Learn (Penguin Education)
by John Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars more inspired ways to gain good results amongst children in some of the more deprived ..., 17 Feb. 2016
This, along with How Children Fail, was required reading for me as an 18 year old, prior to entering teacher training college, back in 1972. John Holt gave me the confidence in what I had already acknowledged would have offered me a more positive experience, had it been on offer in my own school days. With his thoughts to bolster me, I was able to stand up for my beliefs in the face of more experienced, but somewhat staid and uninspiring teacher colleagues including, decades later, a few OFSTED inspectors and to prove to many of them that there were other, more inspired ways to gain good results amongst children in some of the more deprived areas of London.
Now, about to become a grandmother, I have just re-read the books and feel they have stood the test of time. Sadly, all these years on, our mainstream schools are often stuck in a rut that was dug in the 40s or earlier. Many teachers are still driven more by their own desire, or that of senior colleagues, the inspectorate or parents wihing to see their children gain high SATs results, to teach in a rigid and dull manner. This can only change if parents educate themselves about more inspiring, fun and child-centred ways of teaching and then demand this of their local schools.

Panda Pop
Panda Pop

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun at first, 3 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Panda Pop (App)
But I am stuck and don't want to be forced to pay for extras. If you keep trying on most such games, you usually get an easy pass to the next level eventually but not with this one. OK on other games you may get trapped several times but they do let you through ultimately, so it is OK to pay for an extra a couple of times. Here, I have been stuck so early in the levels and for so long, that I don't think it's worth the effort or the potential cost so I am about to delete the game.

Gummy Gush Match 3 Puzzle
Gummy Gush Match 3 Puzzle

2.0 out of 5 stars So irritating!, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Gummy Gush Match 3 Puzzle (App)
This would be OK for a little girl of about 5 years old. It is to easy and repetitive for anybody older and, oh that dreadful, snooty fake English voice over! It is so at odds with the Americanized text. I let my 7 year old nephew try it and he says he's removing me from his Christmas card list!
There are much better games of the matching variety available. This is a dud. Very irritating. Don't bother.

Fini Blackberries and Raspberries 1 Kg
Fini Blackberries and Raspberries 1 Kg
Offered by chuches online

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy return to childhood sweeties!, 1 Nov. 2015
A wonderful, tasty treat. Just one problem - the waist line is growing because of this product!

Pifco PS001 6-in-1 Steam Mop, 1300 W - White
Pifco PS001 6-in-1 Steam Mop, 1300 W - White
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

1.0 out of 5 stars A Rip Off - being sold cheap to get rid of an inferior machine instead of Pifco taking the loss themselves., 1 Nov. 2015
Maybe I'm a softy, but I don't usually give negative reviews and - let me say straight off - mine didn't come via Amazon. Oh, how I wish it had as I could return the dratted, useless thing.
1) The mop head covers come off at the first or second pass, leaving me with steam pouring out and a few wasted minutes whilst it cools enough to put it back on. The toggle fastening on all four covers I bought are weak and useless as well as the two that came in the box.
2) The steam flow is so ntrmittent that the floor is left dry and dirty in places and soaking wet and streaked in others.
3) The carpet glider does not fit over the head properly of the mop slips out of it.
4) The handle is weak and wobbly, after 6 attempted uses of the mop, the black connector cracked suddenly and the handle came off.
5) the water chamber is small and it took 4 refills to clean my average sized, not filthy kitchen floor on the one time I managed to actually complete the job before something went wrong
6) I now have to pay our local council £15 to take it away as we can't put electrics into landfill, so it has cost me more than a better steam mop might - if such a thing exists.
Back to the old bucket and brush method, I suppose! But, despite the big drop in price now, which might in itself be a warning of the REAL quality of the machine, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but, oh, so possible., 13 Mar. 2015
Having a close relative in the early stages of dementia, I found this extraordinary novel disturbing, but also supportive. Whilst offering a view of the muddled view the protagonist has of past and current events, it also offered me a glimpse into what I may need to face as a carer and insight into what is helpful and what merely causes greater confusion and anxiety to the sufferer.
In addition, the parallel sequence of events that form the backbone of the plot are interwoven in a believable and interesting plot.
An interesting read on many levels.

Emma and the Inventor
Emma and the Inventor

1.0 out of 5 stars I think this is a con!!, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Emma and the Inventor (App)
I aid for the full game unlock but it won't load onto my fire. It is still stating that I need to pay to unlck. USELESS!

Alice in the Mirrors of Albion
Alice in the Mirrors of Albion

1.0 out of 5 stars A Junk Game., 21 Jan. 2015
Won't even allow me to complete the first scene. A total waste of time. I knew it would be a freemium game as ost of the free ones are, but I did expect more than 20 seconds of play! RUBBISH!

Happy Venture Reader Approach Book. I Can Read
Happy Venture Reader Approach Book. I Can Read
by Fred J Schonell

3.0 out of 5 stars The original pictures were far better than the ones in this edition, 13 Nov. 2014
I learnt to read from an earlier version of these books back in the 50s. I have fond memories of bringing them home from school to 'teach' my bear to read. The original pictures were far better than the ones in this edition.
As a primary school teacher, I wonder why these dull, repetitive books are enjoyed by so many children. They are DULL, but very small children ove them - this series, Janet and John (later called Kathy and Mark), Peter and Jane and the terrible, whinging Billy Blue-Hat, all of them have driven me to distraction as I listened to perhaps 2000 small people read and re-read them. But littles do like them and oldies like me sometimes like them for sentimental reasons.
None the less, the fact that some children who fnd learning to read a challenge, are kept on this type of reader for years, long after the early childhood love of repitition has passed, and they are the victims of dull, unimaginative teachers. They have not learnt by this method in the first year or so of school life and clearly need something else to inspire them. (Yes, I'm retired now and can say it how it is - some teachers should not be in the profession!). As a piece of history of childhood, these books have some value. As a piece of nostalgia, they are of value to some adults, but I don't believe they are a sensible choice for children today as they are out of date.

Andrew James Professional 850W Whole Fruit Power Juicer, Includes 2 Year Warranty, Juice Jug And Cleaning Brush

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BOTHER!, 27 Oct. 2014
I bought this some weeks ago, hoping to make use of it to juice the glut of fruit we grew this summer. Total waste of money... it left loads of pulp in a back container and not very much juice to drink from a mix of black currants, blackberries and apple. If we'd had to buy the fruit it would have cost well over £10 to make a litre of juice. Added to that, the motor died after four uses.

I notice the price has dropped even further - mine cost £60 and I was led to believe that it was a bargain, now it is under £30, but the fact that it was down by a thrd on the MRP when i got mine should have been a clue. It is overpriced, and is fancy looking but shoddy internally. Clearly, it was made for those who want something shiny on their kitchen worktop, not for those who want real juice which should include some pulp in order to receive real health benefits.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3