Profile for RG > Reviews

Content by RG

RG "Robsguzzis" (North West England)

Revlon 9115U Jet Power 2000W Hair Dryer
Revlon 9115U Jet Power 2000W Hair Dryer

4.0 out of 5 stars hair dryer, 27 Dec. 2010
Wanted a cheap quick hair dryer. Ideal. Handle's not quite at the right angle for me, and the switch goes warm/hot/cold where I'd have expected cold/warm/hot... but hey it was only a tenner and it works great.

The Long Goodbye [DVD] (1973)
The Long Goodbye [DVD] (1973)
Dvd ~ Elliott Gould
Offered by westworld-

1.0 out of 5 stars The no longer original goodbye, 4 Sept. 2010
Briefly, it isn't the same story as the book. There's zero atmosphere. The characters are badly cast. The writer obviously hadn't read a lot of Chandler. It's a bizarre film.
Rob
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2013 6:32 PM GMT

Philips DVP3020Compact Multi-region Capable DVD Player
Philips DVP3020Compact Multi-region Capable DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars How slow's slow?, 27 April 2007
My first DVD player - so nothing to compare it to. The picture quality & picture DVD aspect is great, and it may be unfair to knock it but I bought it 50% for TV and 50% for Audio.

For anyone considering it for audio - then the quality is A1 and I mean great, but the transport is SLOW and I mean SLOW. I'm used to pretty instantaneous operation but this takes ages. So long in fact, that I'll have to get another CD player as well because it's too slow to flick through CDs as is sometimes my want.

Otherwise its light - not exactly serious, but when you press the buttons on the front the machine moves. ie it's too light to press the buttons without it moving.

Needs bluetack under the feet. Thats all.

Rob

Animal Farm (play)
Animal Farm (play)
by Ian Wooldridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a small boy on a cart-horse, 16 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Animal Farm (play) (Paperback)
George Orwell states in the afterword that he was inspired to write the novel (fairytale or whatever. . ) when he saw a small boy navigating a large cart horse through an old English village. And that's a very good analagy.
I read Animal Farm for O level many years ago, but more recently whilst on Holiday in Kenya and witnessing proper inequalities in wealth - maybe not dissimilar to early twentieth century Russia? - I thought I could imagine it well.
Animal Farm is superbly written. You could read it cover to cover in a single sitting, but that would be a shame. The characters fit superbly, and are very funny. Especially Benjamin the donkey who keeps saying "donkeys live a long time", superbly cynical - and so right.
Superb

If This Is a Man / The Truce
If This Is a Man / The Truce
by Primo Levi

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as it was - no more, no less, 16 Dec. 2005
When I mentioned to a friend of mine that my dad was reading this, he begged to borrow it afterwards. Anyway, after I got it back I thought I'd best see what all the fuss was about.
It's not a quick read - it's not difficult, it's just so beautifully written it'd be a sin to rush it. I'd annoyingly read whole passages aloud to friends, some sad, some funny, some just SO well written.
This year I was motorcycling through Poland, so decided to stop by at Auschwitz. They paint a much darker picture of it at the museum than Primo Levi does through recounted experiences.
It isn't a depressing read, it doesn't dwell on suffering, it just tells it like it was.
Highly recommended

The Colour of Magic: The First  Discworld Novel: 1
The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel: 1
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and colourful, 29 Nov. 2005
Best and most original of the discworld series - but I guess that's because it's also the first. Very funny getting your head round all the fresh concepts. It's amazing how - even in this, the first discworld - the concepts are so well thought out.
For me at least, this was excellent. The rest of the series have always seemed a bit of a chore in comparison.

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read, 29 Nov. 2005
I read this just because it appeared on loads of best ever book lists . . . esp Modern Lirary top 10.
I seemed to have reccolections of a serious Hollywood film and hadn't looked forward to it. WRONG. It's a great read. It rolls along at an easy pace. Great characters, sometimes happy, sometimes sad but always very readable.
It's not challenging, and quite a feel-good book. It's almost a comfort book, the sort of book you could read when you feel ill.
Highly reccommended.