Profile for Ms R. Mitten > Reviews

44 Scotland Street
44 Scotland Street
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: 44 Scotland Street (Paperback)
Brilliantly drawn characters, interesting conversations, gentle happenings.
It's a kind world in 44 Scotland Street, I love reading them and return to them regularly.

Bel Canto
Bel Canto
by Ann Patchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bel Canto (Paperback)
I would give 4.5 but i can't so it has to be 4.
This is a treat of characters and relationships formed between captors and hostages. I'm still thinking about them.
Perhaps the wonder of the singing and music is a bit overblown but I explained that to myself and put it down to the intensity of the situation. Along with a few other reviews I found the ending rushed and a bit disappointing, as if the author ran out of time, word count, ideas.
But all that said, delighted to have read it and looking forward to reading more of her books.

Colour-in Tablecloth for Christmas
Colour-in Tablecloth for Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 1 Nov. 2013
After a meal we (me and my children now age 9 and 12) would sit and colour in a bit. Lovely thing to do together, and a lovely colourful result. We all enjoyed the process and result.
One thing: can't wipe it with a wet cloth as the colouring-in smears. So any food and drink splat has to be soaked up. After 10 days or so it looks rather past it's best. So don't put it out on 1 December as it'll be looking pretty grubby by 25th!

The Two Kinds of Decay
The Two Kinds of Decay
by Sarah Manguso

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly interesting, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Two Kinds of Decay (Paperback)
I bought this book because it had been short listed for the Wellcome Trust book prize and was described in terms such as 'remarkable', 'piercing', 'elegant simplicity'.
I read it in one afternoon, not because it was so gripping I couldn't put it down, but mainly because it was easy to read with short chapters and I had the time.
Good bits: quite interesting tale of a challenging illness and it's treatment. A quick read.
Less good bits: the short statementy paragraphs which were usually one sentence long, I find them bitty and pretentious. It lacked depth and reflection. It didn't live up to the hype on the cover.

Morphy Richards  40740 2200w Advanced Finish  Steam Iron  Purple/Black
Morphy Richards 40740 2200w Advanced Finish Steam Iron Purple/Black

3.0 out of 5 stars it's just fine, 13 Sept. 2011
I bought this on the strength of it being a Which best buy and some amazon reviews.
I'm happy enough, kind of, I would say.

I like that it's heavy and solid, it heats up quickly and beeps when at the right temperature. The ironing is fine. Nice long lead.

The less good bits: the cord doesn't wrap around the iron that well, it comes unravelled unless done tightly, which is not a deal clincher but annoying and I would have thought, basic to get right. Difficult to see the water level inside, ditto. The iron quality on 'cotton' is okay, fine, not spectacular, but I've found for cotton sheets it really needs to be cranked up to 'linen'. Sometimes it seems to leak water. Also it is very noisy (steam noises) so listening to the telly or radio whilst ironing (surely the best way after all) is not that easy, I've ended up with the volume pretty loud.

In summary, I'm happy enough and won't be replacing it soon unless it breaks but won't buy another one.

The Reading Group
The Reading Group
by Elizabeth Noble

2.0 out of 5 stars skip through and leave behind, 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Reading Group (Paperback)
Warning - this book contains spoilers about the books mentioned in it.

It is mainly about the lives of the women who attend the group, not really much about the actual meetings or the books.
It kind of goes along, easy to read, but the characters weren't that engaging or developed, a shame really as some of the storylines were *quite* interesting, had potential.

Particularly eye-rolling and nausea-inducing moments for me were cliche cosy family moments, eg when a small child demanded 'family cuggle, family cuggle' (ugh) and attempts at deep emotion, eg (brace yourself for this one) one character describing her love for her baby- '...when he was asleep, you could just watch him and marvel at him, and let the balloon of love for him that lived in your stomach inflate until it almost hurt'.

But I read it almost to the end, when the 'happy ending' cliches became overwhelming and I couldn't go on, the so it served a holiday purpose I guess...

Crusader Boy - Childrens Fancy Dress Costume - Medium - 122cm to 134cm
Crusader Boy - Childrens Fancy Dress Costume - Medium - 122cm to 134cm
Offered by produXa UK

3.0 out of 5 stars good but a strange smell, 9 May 2011
This is fine for the price. The only snag for us was that the boots smell incredibly plasticky. So strong that it could fill a room! And as the outfit was in the same bag that had a very plasticky smell too. This was the reason we returned it, we couldn't bear the smell. Quickly refunded though. Perhaps those with less sensitive little noses would be fine.

Mini Sticky Mosaics Clown Fish
Mini Sticky Mosaics Clown Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, lovely, 28 Oct. 2010
Charming sticky mosaics create lovely pictures to keep. Absorbing for my daughter to do, just a lovely little toy.

Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum
Smartcafe Hot Cafetiere Mug, Platinum

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 28 Oct. 2010
... just put your coffee grains in the bottom, pour on hot water, then plunge, and, tada!, a perfect cup of coffee which is kept hot by the cup and you don't have to wash up a separate cafetiere. I use it all the time and will take it camping. The simplest things are often the best. and it's cheap.

Getting On: Series One [DVD]
Getting On: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jo Brand

4.0 out of 5 stars charming, grabbing, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Getting On: Series One [DVD] (DVD)
For me this doesn't make me laugh out loud, but smile a bit. It's kind of wry humour, quiet, real. The characters are brilliant. There is no music or laughing in the background. It's rather absorbing...

Page: 1 | 2