Profile for Nicole > Reviews

Nicole

Wilton 23 cm (9-Inch) Recipe Right Round Tin
Wilton 23 cm (9-Inch) Recipe Right Round Tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as usual!, 6 Jan. 2015
Brilliant quality as to be expected from Wilton. Bought to replace an old pair of sandwich cake tins and have also used it to make deep dish pizza which turned out perfectly. Wilton is by far my favourite brand for baking.

The Biscoff Cookie & Spread Cookbook: Irresistible Cupcakes, Cookies, Confections, and More

5.0 out of 5 stars A real little gem, 30 Dec. 2014
This book is such a gem! Fun and quirky recipes to try out which are out of the ordinary. I love that there are recipes such as cakes and cookies which are a little more upscale but also ideas to liven up some more ordinary things in the rotation such as waffles (which are lovely), pancakes and granola. One of the best features for me is the clear and friendly style in which it is written, and rarely before have I opened a book and found so many recipes at once that I wanted to make AND had the ingredients for already! And really, who doesn't love Biscoff? So stock up, get this book, and start baking!

Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
by Barbara Fairchild

5.0 out of 5 stars American desserts- well, duh!, 20 Sept. 2014
I seriously don't get the complaints about desserts being 'too American.' Bon Appetit is an American magazine. The author is American. Go figure. Don't blindly buy a cookbook because it looks or seems attractive, do some research on what kind of recipes the book deals with so as to make sure it's the right buy for you. Buy yourself some cup measures-which lets face it, anyone who likes to bake should have anyway as they're invaluable-and have some fun!

I made the chocolate and dulce de leche bread pudding and loved it, especially the spin on such a traditionally English dessert. I've also made the apple and raisin pie/crumble which my partner LOVES. Seriously, can't keep him out of the fridge trying to get sneaky leftovers. What I also love about the book is the guidance it gives-it is a true reference book. I've always been afraid of making pie crust and after trying the aforementioned recipe my confidence has grown enormously.

While I would like some more photos as other reviewers have mentioned, I don't feel that the lack of them detracts from the book that much. Plus, the book is definitely big enough as it is.

All in all, a great book with recipes for everyone.

Wilton Recipe Right 12 Hole Regular Muffin Tin
Wilton Recipe Right 12 Hole Regular Muffin Tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best muffin pan yet, 20 Sept. 2014
I absolutely love this muffin pan. I use an ice cream scoop to portion out my batter and every muffin browned beautifully and just slipped out of the pan while still warm. A real pleasure to use and so much better than any other muffin pan I've owned. This was my first Wilton pan and I recently bought a second, and can see that this will be turning into a real collection!

Mr Mercedes
Mr Mercedes

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next one, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mr Mercedes (Kindle Edition)
I find it irritating when Stephen King is typed as a straight up horror writer. Yes, while he is known, and rightly so, for some pretty amazing scary stories there is so much more variety in his work then he is given credit for. Take his recent novels 'Joyland' and '11.22.63,' both of which I found absolutely amazing. Mr Mercedes proves is another break from the general consensus.

I did enjoy this book and am looking forward to the next in the trilogy, but I did enjoy his other recent works more (those mentioned above, as well as Dr Sleep). I just felt that the characterisation and plot was lacking in places; Brady Hartsfield, the 'Mercedes Killer,' was clearly a smart guy. Yet I found him to be a bit of an inconsistent character, often fumbling his plans-yes, to the good luck of others but I don't read a book needing a happy ending-otherwise I wouldn't be such a fan of Stephen King's work! And Detective Bill Hodges also needed to live up a bit more to that savvy, decorated and commended cop reputation, by putting 2 and 2 together more.

Regardless of all that, and it's not intended as a negative, I did enjoy the book and wanted to see how it would end. I liked the contemporary feel of the novel regarding the recession and the crappy economy, which is something we can all relate to. All in all a very good book.

Nordic Ware Anniversary Bundt Pan - 10-15 cup - 50037
Nordic Ware Anniversary Bundt Pan - 10-15 cup - 50037
Offered by WOWOOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Every baker needs one!, 3 Sept. 2014
I had been coveting this pan for a while but just wasn't sure about spending £30 on a pan. But wow, I'm so glad that. Even though as familiar with Nordic Ware's excellent reputation, this pan far exceeded my expectations. Most bundt recipes that I use require about 12 cups and this one is just the perfect size. The cake literally slid out, and just looked so perfect. I couldn't stop smiling! It looked so impressive and my family absolutely loved the cake. Can't wait to make more!

Drinking Jars 16.5oz / 490ml - Set of 4 | 49cl Jar Glasses, Iced Tea Glasses, Iced Coffee Glasses from Libbey Glassware
Offered by hotbuyeverything

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, 26 July 2014
Got these as a birthday present- after sending the link to my boyfriend!- and absolutely love them. I use them mainly for my breakfast smoothie and they never fail to bring a smile. Perfect size as well.

Chic & Shabby Rustic Natural Wooden Five Hanging Photo Frame Large 6x4"
Chic & Shabby Rustic Natural Wooden Five Hanging Photo Frame Large 6x4"
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!, 26 July 2014
I don't often review things that I've bought off Amazon, but I just had to for these frames. My partner and I have had a growing collection of gorgeous holiday and family photos that have been languishing away unseen on the computer so I set out on a mission to find the perfect frames for our tiny flat. These are so perfect! Exactly my style and with the pics in it just looks stunning. Bought two and am already trying to find space for more! Buy it, you won't regret it.

Making Cupcakes with Lola
Making Cupcakes with Lola
by Romy Lewis & Victoria Jossel

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven!, 6 Mar. 2013
I first tried a Lola's cupcake at Bluewater and I fell in love with all the quirky flavours. I've had so much fun using the book and the cupcakes just come out perfect. I took the Chocolate Banana ones to uni with me one day and everyone now keeps asking me what flavour I'm doing next and when I'll be bringing more. I'm as amateur a cook as you can get so if I can make great cupcakes from the book then anyone can. If you love cupcakes and the weird and wonderful then this is the book for you.

Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast
Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast
by Ani Phyo

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Ani's 15 Day Fat Blast (Hardcover)
Received this book as a Christmas present and as I had been struggling to shift the last few pounds I was very intrigued and gave it a go. The smoothies are gorgeous but you do really need a good blender to get the quality. Struggled with the soups as I prefer my soups chunky so after day 4 I just stuck with salads and smoothies, but after day 8 the snacks and meals are so worth it and have been making them since finishing the diet. I've lost a stone and my partner did it for a week and lost nearly half a stone and he enjoyed the meals which is definitely an achievement as he's the fussiest eater ever. So definitely give it a go, you won't be sorry and you'll get the results as well as learn so many new things.