Profile for S. Moore > Reviews

Content by S. Moore

S. Moore

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
DB POWER® For IPhone 4S Replacement LCD Screen and Touch Glass Digitizer Assembly + Free Tool KIT
Offered by buyinsummer

5.0 out of 5 stars I also drew the phone on a sheet of A4 and placed all the parts on the drawing because this is an apple product and they don't l, 27 July 2014
As described, a complete new screen plus glass plus the tools you need to replace it.
Be warned though changing this screen is not for the faint hearted, I'm a practical person but it took me three hours from start to finish.
I guess I'd get quicker with practice, however I watched some 'how to' videos on youtube before and during replacement. I also drew the phone on a sheet of A4 and placed all the parts on the drawing because this is an apple product and they don't like you fixing their stuff when they can sell you a new one, so the phone has been engineered to be as difficult as possible to repair, with hidden screws of all different sizes.
There are many how to videos but this is the one I used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fujLMaxJsw
If you buy this screen give your self plenty of time when you will be uninterrupted.
Remember this screen only costs £14 yet the high street phone shop will charge you £120 and apple will double that.

Gravy Trains
Gravy Trains

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Gravy Trains (Kindle Edition)
This is obviously a self publish book as the spelling and grammar have not been proof read and leave a lot to be desired.
Although there are some interesting tales of railway operation from yesteryear, these are far and few between and the book is written in a very disparate manner rather than in a linear fashion where the stories follow one another and make sense across a period of time.
It is also hard to tell which stories are fact and which are just make believe, with long sections of drivel.
The author couldn't quite make up his mind if he wanted to write a genuine account of his time on the railway or write a fiction story about a fictional railway. Also the over use of colloquial phrases in the end became annoying and then boring.
I did make it to the end of this book, but only by skipping large sections of it, as the manor in which it is written is frankly awful.

As to the characters and the supposed antics they got up to, all I can say is most of them should have been sacked and leave me feeling very unimpressed if this book is a realistic reflection on the people who were operating the railways back in the 60/70/80's. I'm no fan of privatisation, but if this account is true, then these people did nothing to further the cause of state ownership.

Would I recommend this book, in a word.......no!
If the author cut all the crap out of it and just concentrated on railway operation and used a spell checker, then it might be a much better read.

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and wants you to buy everything through the Amazon store, 26 April 2014
I was thinking about buying a tablet for a year or so and was eventually gifted this device, now having spent some time with it and looking around at other devices that friends have (Ipad air and Google Nexus7) I'm glad I didn't spend my money on the Kindle for the following reasons...
1. Extremely slow to boot up and the time lag between taps and an application or a web page opening is mind numbingly frustrating.
2.This is an Amazon product and as such its really just a platform for you to buy more product from Amazon, which can be extremely frustrating if you want to do anything outside of Amazon, ie: download a movie, watch a movie, in fact do anything stream-wise that does not come via one of the Amazon stores.
I find the above extremely frustrating as I want my device to do what I want it to do, not what Amazon wants me to do, which is basically buy more product from them.
3.The adverts (which Amazon call recommendations) are annoying, why should I pay more not to have adverts?
4. Forget trying to put something in the memory (like a film) as the device will reject it (stating size to big) and even if you do manage to get a file on it the device will fight you every step of the way to not let you access the file, I assume because you did not buy it from Amazon
5. It won't let you download or install Adobe flash player

The Kindle is ok if you just want an extension of the Amazon store, but if I was spending my money I'd spend it on the Google Nexus7 which is faster, has a better screen resolution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 4:46 PM BST

Out of Control
Out of Control

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book if you are interested in the real railways of the 70's-80's, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Out of Control (Kindle Edition)
If you are interested in the real railways of the 1970-80's then this is an excellent book!
The author worked in a number of positions not normally written about and ones that would probably not be considered glamorous, mainly signalling, station work and managing train crews. I never knew there was so much involved to running a station.
As he worked his way through the ranks he explains the intricacy's of the various jobs in a humorous way that is both interesting and informative.
For those reviewers who have complained about some of the antics gotten up to in those days I have to say it really annoys me when people judge the past by today's standards. The 1970's are a world away from where we are today, but as I remember it, the 70's was a much nicer time in which to live and work. So I don't begrudge the author some of his antics.
This is a book that tells it like it was and is all the better for it.
A really excellent read, my thanks to the author for sharing his time on the railway with us
I

Why It's STILL Kicking Off Everywhere: The New Global Revolutions
Why It's STILL Kicking Off Everywhere: The New Global Revolutions
by Paul Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight into an historical turning point, 5 Aug 2013
I like Paul Mason's books, they speak to the part of me that wants to smash capital corporatism.
This book taught me much about the many uprisings around the world in recent years including the London riots of 2011.
From an historic point of view, I think we are at a turning point, in that the power structures of the super rich and the state are to some extend being challenged by the proletariat, except this time its not being called a class war, the business worlds ownership of global media will see to that, although in essence the debate 'is' about how we distribute wealth and organise our society.

The trouble with the masses is that we are an un-unified and disparate group all working against each other assisted by the mass media purposely dividing us by pampering to our prejudices about each other, whereas the super rich are united in the fight against us and they have the money, determination and patience to see the war through, plus they have army's and police forces to assist them in the process of retaining power.
Perhaps in time as the older generations are replaced with the younger ones who haven't had it so good things will change.

We are at a tipping point with so many things, global warming, carbon emissions, deforestation, energy wars oil/fracking/renewables,the endless wars instigated by America in the pursuit of dwindling oil supply's, the emerging economy's, population growth and world poverty and of course the financial crisis,
And this book goes some way to addressing some of these issues asking the two biggest questions, which are, will the networked revolution work and if so what will global corporate capitalism be replaced with?
If your interested in what's happening in the world today, this is a good read

The Long War (The Long Earth)
The Long War (The Long Earth)
by Terry Pratchett

2.0 out of 5 stars A rather boring read, 17 July 2013
Usually I can't put a Terry Pratchett book down as they are page turners that have me hooked, however, Long Earth was ok, but this sequel was just so boring, numerous sub plots that did not culminate in an ending.
I think this book was trying to be too clever and failed. And we still don't know if Lobsang is Time indulging himself in the affairs of Humans.
This book with certain words and phrasings appears to be aimed at the American market which to an Englishman is annoying but not as annoying as the story which was just plain boring.
I love the Discworld books and to my mind TP is THE greatest living author, however this collaboration is not up to the usual standard of a Discworld story and I certainly won't be buying a Steven Baxter book anytime soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2013 9:11 PM BST

An Illustrated History of British Railways' Workshops
An Illustrated History of British Railways' Workshops
by Edgar Larkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality images, 15 Feb 2013
The title says it all really
The images are all black and white and are all incredibly grainy and not of the quality that one would expect to see in a published illustrated guide

TeckNet® 5M/10M Slide, Negative and Black/White Film Scanner to SD Card, With 32MB Build-in Memory - Full Black
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, Don't waste your money, 15 Feb 2013
This took two weeks from order to delivery, so one assumes this third party seller buys to order and then re-sells
The actual product was rubbish and was returned for a refund.

The slide holder was very difficult to use and the quality of the scanned images was very very poor.
Looking at the reviews on all the slide/film scanners, it would appear that none of them are that good, even the very expensive ones have one star ratings, so I've decided to use a professional company to scan my slides to digital, it might cost a lot more, but I'm only going to do it once.

7.0" Touch Screen WinCE 6 GPS Navigator with Wireless Rearview Camera/Bluetooth/AV-In/4GB Europe Maps

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, 23 Oct 2012
One thing to know about this product is that you are not buying it from Amazon but from a third party selling through Amazon and this third party is in China.

When the unit arrived the default language was Italian and the sat nav thought I was in central Moscow and because the instructions were so poor it was a case of trial and error to change the language to English. The sat nav however did not work as it could not see any satellites and as I'd bought this primarily as a sat nav it was no good to me. I buy through Amazon because of the excellent customer service and protection and although the company I bought this unit from were helpful, it cost me £15 to ship back to China and took a month before it arrived and I received a refund.

This unit is really a 7" tablet that has sat nav on it and for the money its amazing what's included in the box, if only it worked. I came to the decision that if I wanted a tablet then I should buy a tablet and if I want sat nav then I should buy a sat nav, which is what I did in the end; I bought a second hand tom tom off ebay for £50 which works perfectly.

If you want a tablet buy a Kindle fire or something similar
If you want a sat nav buy a Tom tom

Clipper Organic Infusion Liquorice 20 Tea Bags (Pack of 6)
Clipper Organic Infusion Liquorice 20 Tea Bags (Pack of 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars This tea is truly horrible!, 10 Aug 2012
I wanted a drink that tasted of Licorice and having read the reviews thought I might have found what I was looking for, however this tea is truly disgusting!.
90% of taste is the smell and this tea smells nothing like licorice and it tastes
YUCK!.
I don't know what the other reviewers were tasting and of course all things are relative, but I won't be wasting my money on this tea again that's for sure.
I think I'll try dissolve some licorice in boiling water instead.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2014 10:27 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5