Profile for Mr. P. M. Dean > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. M. Dean

Mr. P. M. Dean "Classical Obsessive"

Oxford Latin Desk Dictionary
Oxford Latin Desk Dictionary
by Oxford University Press

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as far as it goes, 16 April 2010
There is no denying that this is a perfectly good dictionary for the job it wants to do and for the price for which it does it. However, I think that we have to be clear on what this dictionary does do and what, more importantly, it does not. Another point to note firstly, brought up by another reviewer but I shall repeat for clarity's sake, I suppose, is that it isn't any different from the pocket version. Now my experience of Latin has been that I've studied it almost all the way through school and now for two years at university. This book was the dictionary loaned to us by my secondary school for our Latin AS and A2 courses. Up to those levels, this dictionary works more than adequately. That, for the price, is certainly worth it. However, my only warning is aimed for any members of the prospective buyers who want to study texts in Latin in great detail and particularly without a teacher. My reason for this is that 1) the diversity of meanings in a single word in Latin can be astounding and cannot be covered in a dictionary of this level, 2) for those all too often occasions where you find a word being used in a context never found elsewhere, 3) for the tackling of some difficult parts of text such as the hapax legomenon. For such a level of text based work, I would suggests Lewis' Elementary Latin Dictionary as being the minimum requirement.

Plautus: The Comedies: Volume 1 (Complete Roman Drama in Translation)
Plautus: The Comedies: Volume 1 (Complete Roman Drama in Translation)
by David R. Slavitt

1.0 out of 5 stars A translation?, 29 Jan 2010
I bought this series since neither Penguin nor Oxford Classics have a complete edition of Plautus in translation. In this sense, at the very least, it is a 'useful' edition. However, the translations are another matter entirely. Some are commendable in certain ways, such as their use of the same meter as the original Latin, which does give a nice sense of the rhythm. However, much more could be said against them, and to a certain extent, it is the very virtue I have mentioned already that ruins this edition: the meter in which they are written limits the scope of their translations to such an extent that they are barely recognisable as translations. For anyone who wants to really evaluate the play seriously, this edition is utterly useless.