Profile for Ms. N. J. Cross > Reviews

Ms. N. J. Cross (dorset)

Page: 1 | 2
Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3500/01 with Sunrise Simulation
Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3500/01 with Sunrise Simulation

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept but basic model and expensive for what it is., 23 Dec 2013
I recently changed bedrooms in my house. The bedroom I was in was very light and even with blackout curtains light would still seep into the room. Although this was annoying when I went to bed, as I like my room to be pitch black, it was good for the mornings. The bedroom I moved into was completely the opposite ie pitch black at night and also very dark in the mornings. As a result the first week I moved in I had terrible trouble getting up.

Coincidentally at the end of that week I received a discount from Phillips for the wake up light. I had never heard of a wake up light before and to be honest even if I had the price point of them would have put me off. Had I not just moved bedrooms and found it difficult to get up, even with the discount I would have thought it was a bit gimmicky.

Due to the new bedroom arrangements I thought I would make use of the discount and give it a go. For the first few days I was anticipating the gradual light so I don't think the effect was working properly. I have now been using it for a couple of weeks and forget that the room is going to gradually get lighter. As a result I think its now working out well. If I have had difficulties getting to sleep then the alarm beeps tend to wake me up however if I had a good nights sleep then I usually stir about 5 minutes or so before the alarm beeps. It is at this point that I have the urge to turn the light off and drift back off to sleep. I have however been making an effort to leave the light on. I still snooze but I don't think I go into such a deep sleep and therefore am not as groggy as I would be if I turned the light off.

Overall I am pleased I purchased the light as it suits my current set up. It would however be wasted in the other bedroom as I think Mother Nature did her thing naturally in that room. Therefore to anyone who is thinking of getting the wake up alarm I would only recommend it to people who sleep in dark bedrooms or who have to get up very early in the morning when it is still dark outside.

Lots of other reviews have pointed out the negatives of the clock so I won't go over those although I have to say that I haven't had any problems with the off switch. As I rely on other alarms (which are not beeps) I never snooze it and always turn it off without knocking it over. My main complaint however is the lack of instructions. Although it is pretty simple to work out how to set the time and alarm functions I wasn't aware that one of the small buttons on the side of the clock adjusted the display brightness. As a result I nearly gave up on the clock very quickly as my display setting was set to the brightest setting and this kept me awake at night. I ended up putting a slipper in front of it to block out the light which affected the brightness when it was supposed to wake me up. It was only when I read some of the reviews on amazon that I found out how to turn it down. Now that I have I will continue to use the wake up alarm.

Michael Todd True Organics Charcoal Detox Deep Pore Gel Cleanser
Michael Todd True Organics Charcoal Detox Deep Pore Gel Cleanser

5.0 out of 5 stars My holy grail cleanser, 28 Nov 2013
I started using this cleanser about a month ago and use it every single day. I knew I loved the cleanser from the first use and I have never felt this strongly over a cleanser before. It isn't the cheapest product but a little goes a long way and I would say that it will last about three months which isn't bad when you break the costs down. Unfortunately it is only readily available from America and therefore you do end up paying import duties. The michael todd website does however offer lots of promotions which brings the costs down. The cleanser itself is like a gel and is dark in colour due to the charcoal. It is aimed at people with oily skin as the charcoal apparently draws out the impurities. I wouldn't say I have particularly oily skin and I don't suffer with breakouts. I do however have enlarged pores and facial redness. This cleanser has calmed down my skin and reduced the redness. The pores are still visible but there are no signs of blackheads on my nose and I don't use the pore strips either. The cleanser also does a brilliant job of removing all traces of make up. Having said that I tend to use an oil cleanser to remove make up and then use this to actually cleanse the skin. You need to have wet hands when you pump the cleanser so that it lathers up more. Also it isn't drying even though it is aimed at the oily skin crowed.

Linens Limited **Special Offer** Goose Feather And Down Pillows, Pair
Linens Limited **Special Offer** Goose Feather And Down Pillows, Pair
Offered by Linens Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Nasty, 11 Oct 2012
Wish i had read these reviews before i purchased the pillows. They are absolute rubbish. There just isn't enough filling in them for them to be supportive. Wont be buying from this company again. Wish i had stuck with the Duvet and Pillow Warehouse as you get quality products with them. I purchased their equivalent cheap pillows and they are lovely.

Lock N Roll Tumbler 16 Ounce-Blue
Lock N Roll Tumbler 16 Ounce-Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Smoothie Cup, 16 Sep 2012
I bought this cup for my daily smoothies to take to work. Nice looking cup with decent size cup. It does look like it will fit more than it does though. The main problem i have experienced with it is that it does leak even with the straw clipped in place (leaks through straw) so don't throw in your handbag like i did (its a big handbag). The other problem is that my smoothies are fairly thick and sometimes i can't drink it through the straw without unscrewing the lid. I'm sure it would be fine for other soft drinks though.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually tastes nice, 9 July 2012
Now I don't have anything to compare this too as this is the first green tea I have tried. I have to say though that it is really quite nice (without milk or sugar). I liked it so much I had two cups in a row. Apparently it is good for digestion. I drank straight after my evening meal and now feel full up. Do yourself a favour tho and buy from waitrose £2.00 for 20 tea bags.

If Tomorrow Comes
If Tomorrow Comes
by Sidney Sheldon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very 1980's but takes you on a ride you don't want to get off, 30 May 2011
This review is from: If Tomorrow Comes (Paperback)
If i had read this book when it was written then i probably would have given it 5 stars however it has now become quite dated. Having said that i really enjoyed this book and was hooked from the first chapter. Lots of what happens is pretty implausible however it is a real romp of a read. It did however feel like a guilty pleasure but who cares. Overall i didn't want to enjoy this book as it is slightly cheesy but i just couldn't hep myself. I loved it.

The Devil Inside: Number 1 in series (Morgan Kingsley Exorcist)
The Devil Inside: Number 1 in series (Morgan Kingsley Exorcist)
by Jenna Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a change from Vampires and Werewolves, 30 May 2011
As usual i wanted something slightly different to read and didn't want to go down the vampire/werewolf route as i have been watching quite a lot of that on tv recently with True Blood and Vampire diaries. Don't get me wrong i absolutely love both of these programmes but i didn't want to read about them as well.

As others have already mentioned this book is about a society where demons are hosted in humans either legally or illegally. Morgan is an exorcist whose job it is to oust the illegal demons who apparently are then destroyed. Morgan despises demons be it the legal or illegal type so she is shocked to discover that she has unwittingly been possessed herself. There is of course more to the story than this which basically involves an underworld of demons ready to do battle to get what they want.

I raced through this book, admittedly it isn't that long, and if i had started it earlier on the sunday would have read it in a day. I knew half way through that i would want to read the next in the series but thought i would wait to finish reading it just in case it had a rubbish ending. I am pleased to say it didn't. I have just received the next four books so will be devouring them fairly soon.

This book does have adult content so may not be to everyone's taste but there is a good storyline if you can cope with the sex scenes.

I have already lent my copy to a friend so it will be interesting to see what she thinks.

Before I Fall
Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but Disappointing, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Before I Fall (Paperback)
The first thing i have to say is that being in my 30s i doubt very much that i am the target audience for this book so please bear this in mind. I picked this book as i like to read books that are slightly different and after reading the back thought this would be the sort of thing i usually like, not realising at the time it was a young adult book. Unfortunately however i was very disappointed and on a couple of occasions considered giving up on the book. The problem was that i just didn't like the main characters and really couldn't care less what happened to them. I think this is probably what the author intended as the essence of the story is; really popular spoilt brat gets to see how her actions affect other people and starts turning into a nicer person. The other point i would make is that the characters are supposed to be 18. If i had not known that then i would have thought they were more 13 to 14 years of age. I have to say that the book does get better in the second half but only because of the new love interest aspect. Not a book i would read again or pass on to friends to read.

Vax V-123 Agilty Upright Carpet Washer
Vax V-123 Agilty Upright Carpet Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have product for pet owners., 3 July 2009
I have always kept my carpets pretty clean and did this by regularly hiring the rog doctor from B&Q which i have always been pleased with although there is always a worry when using a hired machine in case it breaks and i have hired temperamental ones too.

Anyway i have recently got a puppy and due to her not being house trained decided that a better option would be to buy a machine so that accidents could be dealt with immediately especially as all my carpets are cream.

Boy am i glad i bought this machine. Within days of getting it my pup had a very upset tummy and made a right mess of my bedroom carpet which is a thick pile. I didnt think the machine would have a hope in hells chance of cleaning the area without there being a stain but it has. Initially i just gave the carpet a quick clean in the worst affected areas but last night i cleaned the carpet properly and it has come up really refreshed looking.

To just clean the carpets it couldn't be easier. There are two compartments which click into place one to put the water in the other to collect the dirty water. Quite simply fill up the solution tank with the water and shampoo provided, clip it back into place, plug in the machine and press the on switch and away you go. Rather than the machine releasing water continuously it sucks continuously and you go over the carpet in areas at a time by pressing the trigger which releases the water and then re-go over the area (after releasing trigger) to suck the water back up. For stubborn stains use the surge button.

You can do a whole room with just one tank of water and therefore you only need to empty the cleaner once when you are finished. With the rug doctor you are forever emptying the thing.

Provided you are thorough about the suction and what i mean by this is go over the area several times slowly the carpets will be practically dry to the touch. When i did my bedroom last night i could walk on the carpets immediately and by the morning they were completely dry. Just finish which a quick vacuum and they look good as new.

I havent tried the stair/upholstery tool yet so can't comment on this but there certainily isn't a problem with the suction as suggested by an earlier reviewer. In fact it came as a life saver a second time the other day when my washing machine flooded the kitchen floor. The machine sucked up the water in no time. It doesnt leave hard floors dry and isnt supposed to be used to clean them but it saved me using loads of towels to mop up the water and instead i just dried up the remaining damp area with a mop.

Fantastic thank you vax.

Only gripes are that the right foot pedal for the handle to move back is a bit fiddly at times and the clips on the compartments are very stiff at first and i was worried i was going to break them but at least the machine comes with a 6 year parts and labout guarantee which must be activated within 28 days of purchase but this can be done online or by post.

Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by Ken Grimwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Not big on reading? Well give this a shot. It's well worth it., 12 April 2009
I think the other reviewers have said all that needs to be said about the plot of this book.

Ever since reading the time traveller's wife (another brilliant read) i have been hooked on books with a time travel theme. Having said that this book has to be one of the best books i have ever read.

I'm not really a big reader and quite often i just never finish them. I obviously get bored very quickly and i hate books that spend a whole paragraph just describing the scene. I like books that are fast paced and get to the point.

This book certainly does that. I was hooked straight away and i finished it in two days. That has to be a record. Most other books that i actually finish usually take at least a week.

Anyway, i hope the next book i read can come somewhere close.

Page: 1 | 2