Profile for Steve Ayton > Reviews

Content by Steve Ayton

Steve Ayton "Sorcerer13" (Northern England)

Page: 1 | 2
Battery
Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of code!, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Battery (App)
I was concerned about the state of the battery, as I've had my Kindle a while. This little application has a useful battery status indicator - a great bonus.

Wide Black Belt Loop Split Ring Metal Keychain Key Holder
Wide Black Belt Loop Split Ring Metal Keychain Key Holder
Offered by Sunny Market

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea!, 26 Jun. 2015
Third one I've bought - it's amazing how you come to rely on them!

50g GREEN Barleria Lupulina Balm Massage Pain Relief
50g GREEN Barleria Lupulina Balm Massage Pain Relief
Offered by Thaiezy

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but distance may be a problem., 26 Jun. 2015
The balm itself is effective, but the two week delay is disappointing, and the jar I received had opened in the post - very little was left inside....

Dracula
Dracula

4.0 out of 5 stars Old, but well written., 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
Only minor quibble is that in places Van Helsing reminds me of David Suchet' Poirot! Just a minor issue, though.

Ghost in the Machine: A serial killer detective thriller (DC Scott Cullen Crime Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reworking., 13 July 2013
It's good, it's long, and it's free. Unbeatable combination! Great reworking of a good story, with credible characters, and a good denouement. Recommended!

Learn Access VBA 2003 With The Smart Method
Learn Access VBA 2003 With The Smart Method
by Mike Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be 6 stars - and I HATE "teach yourself" books!, 28 Feb. 2011
I'm an ex-professional Mainframe (the big computers which used to be at the heart of Businesses) programmer.

I now do voluntary I.T. work for a charity, and I needed to get up to speed on Microsoft 2003 Access VBA very quickly.

The book is structured so that an absolute beginner can start without any knowledge of MS Access, and end up having created a professional quality Film Records database application.

Normally I wouldn't buy this sort of book.

I don't want a Film Records database, and I tend to get impatient and skip through the basic "put your finger on the key and press down" areas, which sometimes means I can miss vital bits of information.

I therefore started reading this book half way through, at a point which seemed to address some of the problems I was having with Access. Sure enough my problems were solved, in a clear and concise way.

At that point the book should have been shelved, but I started reading Appendix A - The Rules.

These rules seemed to be so blindingly obvious, (and so universally ignored!) that I read further. And further.

Rather to my surprise, I found this to be a great book, and very well written.

All the individual chapters have "write it yourself" sections, which for the bone idle (like me) can also be downloaded directly from Mike Smart's website.
However, I'd suggest you actually do the work and code each line yourself - I am, and I don't even WANT a Film Records database! But I'm building one, just for the sheer joy of working through this book.

The sixth star would have been awarded because I needed to be able to do something similar to an exercise in the book, but couldn't get it working properly.
Without much hope, I E-mailed the problem to Mr. Smart, and to my amazement and delight I not only got a reply (in about 2 hours, allowing for the time differences), which not only corrected my erroneous code, but also suggested helpful alternatives. Now that's what I call support, and all for buying a book for just over [..] quid.

If you need to get to grips with Access 2003, stop reading reviews and BUY THIS BOOK!

Magic Spiker Ice Grip Straps Accessory Pack (3 Pairs Straps 2 Protection Bags).
Magic Spiker Ice Grip Straps Accessory Pack (3 Pairs Straps 2 Protection Bags).

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong!, 28 Feb. 2011
Delivered promptly, work as stated, decent price.

The only downside (if you can call it that) is that as I bought them with the Magic Spikers, and so haven't worn the Spikers without them, I don't know if I needed them or not.

However, other reviews of devices similar to Magic Spikers indicate they could come off in use, so it's probably worthwhile to be sure that you don't lose an ice gripping device whilst on ice!

The bag is also very handy for keeping the Spikers in.

Not sure the value would have been all that great if I'd just purchased one pair of Magic Spikers, but as I bought one pair each for myself and my wife, this product was exactly what I wanted.

Nokia AC-3X Mains Charger For Nokia 2760, N8 Mobile Phone
Nokia AC-3X Mains Charger For Nokia 2760, N8 Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 28 Dec. 2010
Stick one end in the mains, the other in the phone, and off you go!
You'd have to try very very hard to get it wrong!
Great product, excellent delivery time.

Apex Laminating Pouches 150 Micron for A4 Gloss [Pack 100]
Apex Laminating Pouches 150 Micron for A4 Gloss [Pack 100]

5.0 out of 5 stars Size isn't everything!, 13 Nov. 2010
i ran out of pouches for my laminator, so looked around for more, using price as my primary criteria. These fitted the bill, so I ordered them.
Next day I noticed on the box for my Tesco A4 laminator "Laminates from 75 to 100 microns".

Oops!

Anyway, needing half a dozen usrgent laminations, when these arrived, I nervously used them.

No Problems!

I don't know if this is praise for my Tesco laminator, or a compliment to the quality of these pouches, but I've since laminated a few other sheets of standard A4 paper, with no strange pongs or scrunching noises coming from my laminator.

If you wan't to laminate something other than single sheets of A4, like thick card, or next door's budgie (?), you may not be quite so successful, but for now I can proudly re-iterate "Size isn't everything!"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2012 12:22 PM BST

The African Queen - The Restoration Edition [DVD] [1951]
The African Queen - The Restoration Edition [DVD] [1951]
Dvd ~ Katharine Hepburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still a cracking story., 21 July 2010
As I said in the title, dated, but still a cracking story. The strength of the main characters more than makes up for some less than believable supporting characters, and although some of the dialogue is a little less than credible in the situations they find themselves in, it's still more than worth the purchase price.
Yes, it's dated, but so are Aesop's fables, and they're still going strong!
I didn't have the unrestored original version, so I can't comment on the restoration. All I can say is that it's perfectly watchable with no jumps, glitches or strange effects. Just buy it.

Page: 1 | 2