Profile for S J MYNETT > Reviews

Content by S J MYNETT

S J MYNETT

Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC & Xbox One

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 24 May 2014
I needed a lot more back up space for my laptop and PC and having used Seagate before decided to stay with them. I have three portable Seagate drives, 1TB, 1.5TB and a newer 2TB, that have all worked well so it was logical to stay with the company.
My new drives, a 4TB and 2x2TB, run quickly and smoothly and I have had no issues using them with Linux, just plug in and use. I do not use any back up progs so the Seagate stuff was deleted straight away. They are quick enough for me and I cannot see any down side to them, although I will have to wait a while before I can comment on reliability but if they are as good as my portables, two of which are over a year old, I will be quite happy.

DRIVE, EXPANSION PORTABLE, 2TB, SEAGATE STBX2000401 By SEAGATE & Best Price Square
Offered by ILGS - I Love Going Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and quick, 24 May 2014
I have had Seagate drives before and they have always been quick and reliable so I had no problem choosing another. I needed a 2TB minimum drive but it had to be portable and USB powered - this matched my needs perfectly. It is a lot more expensive than the Seagate desk drives, which I also have, but they require a power source.
I am a Linux user but this was no problem, it worked on first plug in and no formatting was required. I immediately deleted any Seagate stuff on the drive as I am not fussy about that sort of thing, all I want is storage space and I am happy to do back ups manually.
I will not go into exact speeds as the age of my computer would need to be taken into account but it is worth noting that the USB 3.0 is considerably better than the previous. I have been moving/backing up files of up to 1TB and although it has taken a while it has been a few hours, rather than the days an older system would have taken.
I cannot vouch for the reliability of this particular drive but my other two Seagate portables, 1TB and 1.5TB, are still going strong after a year and a lot of use.