Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Pentax X5 Bridge Camera - Silver (16MP, 26x Wide Angle Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tilt LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought one earlier, 28 Oct. 2012
I have always loved my old film SLR. And even with, digital versions being available for some time now, I have never been convinced by them: either I had to navigate through a complex menu to get to the settings I wanted or the purchase of a DSLR would have left me seriously out of pocket.

Two weeks ago, I finally took the plunge and went for the Pentax X-5. The main selling points for me were that there are specific buttons to adjust the white balance and shoot mode (drive v. single shot), and that the camera takes standard AA batteries that are easily available. When comparing to pricier models (Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm), I still had to navigate through different menus for quite some time before I could make adjustments - and when taking pictures you want to spend time on the shot, not the menu.

The camera arrived just in time for my trip to India, and it has been absolutely brilliant so far. The shake reduction has been great for taking pics on the move, be it out of a car window or from the back of a tuk tuk. The simplicity with which you can make adjustments to cater for the lighting has been fab and has allowed me to take some great shots in the mountains.

Granted the AA batteries do not last as long - all in all I had to change them after four days heavy use, but I could get replacement batteries (for pennies) even in some very remote locations in the Indian countryside - and only had to buy new ones because I forgot my spare set of rechargeable ones.

All in all, the perfect camera for me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 10:45 AM BST