Profile for Guv > Reviews

UK Truck Simulator
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE
Price: 6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Reputation saver, 26 May 2014
This review is from: UK Truck Simulator (CD-ROM)
Being a wealthy businessman, I was becoming increasingly sheepish returning home from work and replying to my wife's queries about what I had done all day with "Nothing." Well, it was true. I'd roll into work at about eleven (a.m.), tell my workers off, send a couple of emails, then it would be lunch time. Five hours later, I'd stumble from the pub three sheets to the wind and get a taxi home.

Then I bought UK Truck Simulator, with a Ferrari steering wheel and pedals.

I installed the game, clamped the steering wheel to my desk, and almost immediately got back on the straight and narrow so immersed was I by the game's graphics and gameplay. Increasingly my days would remain completely sober as I took loads from Grimsby to Plymouth, sleep in the back of my cab (under my desk), then truck on up to Scotland. I'd often go unwashed for days and lived on fried egg sandwiches, chips and beans, and sausage and mash - all prepared by my saucy secretary, Marie, who I'd get to dress up as various "greasy spoon" waitresses along my routes. She soon got the hang of a number of regional accents (though her East Anglian one just made me think of pirates), as did my accountant, Derek, who posed as petrol pump attendants and various "irate motorists" I nudged off the virtual road.

Finally, I could go home and look my wife in the eye again. Thank you UK Truck Simulator.

Fierce GEB Powerful Fast Gaming PC, Budget Desktop Computer, 2 YEAR WARRANTY (3.90GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Disk, Radeon HD 8470D Graphics)
Offered by Fierce PC
Price: 233.52

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 21 May 2014
My old reliable PC is fine for browsing the internet, watching YouTube, playing oldish games or newer ones on low settings, etc. But I wanted a dedicated computer I could set aside just for gaming. I wasn't looking to spend more than 250 as that was my budget, and I have to say that this Fierce PC is one of the few that met the specifications I had in mind at that price. What shouldn't be expected, however, is a flawless top end PC for your money, as this computer does some things well and others not so well.

So far, I'm finding that RPGs such as Skyrim and Dishonoured look good and work fine - very happy with those. What the machine does struggle with, however, is anything that requires a lot of speed and fluidity. Therefore, driving games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 won't run as smoothly or look as great as it does on all those YouTube videos where people are playing it on the highest settings - this computer will only manage medium settings all round,and not run all that fast, either. The same goes for Need For Speed Most Wanted, which again requires you to make a choice between smoothness, speed and texture detail.

For about 250, though, it's pretty good, though without an operating system you will have to fork out more for that as none is included in the package. You can get a "refurbished" copy of Windows 7 for about fifty quid on Amazon. Therefore, we are looking at an outlay of around 300, which really isn't all that cheap. You will obviously need a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse, too, and a gaming controller too if that's what you like to use for your gaming.

Still, I can now play great titles that were well beyond the machine I already owned, and because of that I'm fairly happy.

An ideal score would be 3.5/5 stars.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium inkl SP1 32 Bit UK - Refurbished Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User - Win7 home Premium 32 Bit [DVD-ROM] Windows 7
Offered by stop_computer
Price: 39.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, 21 May 2014
Very happy with this refurbished copy of Windows 7. Key worked fine and was legible with reading glasses and a magnifying glass. Why Microsoft have to make such important things so tiny, I don't know, but everything was in order and worked first time. Would happily buy a product from this seller again.

One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010]
One Night In Turin [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ James Erskine
Price: 8.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary anachronistic additions, 16 May 2014
I enjoyed One Night in Turin, but throughout was jarred by the additional footage shoehorned in of actors representing fans and media. Original film of the 1990 tournament is abundant, as anyone visiting YouTube will know, so there is really no need for the added scenes of scribes scribbling, fans swigging and photographers clicking which are inserted into practically every scene. Every time one of these unnecessary segments played, I was taken out of the moment by people who hadn't even been given haircuts, never mind clothing, representative of the time. If you're going to make a documentary about one of the most iconic World Cups ever (for England fans, at least), you need to at least ensure that you don't intersperse it with clips of people with very 2000s haircuts and facial hair.

On the whole, though, it was a watchable hour and a half or so, but not something I'll be rushing to watch again. Gary Oldman may have been brought in to add a little gravitas (they could have done far worse), but throughout he seemed a narrator in search of an identity. At times we were going down the lad/tabloid route with the rather strange use of nicknames seemingly made up on the spot - did I imagine it, or was Gascoigne referred to on several occasions as "Puck"? - while at other times we were getting social commentary on the final throes of Thatcherism and her out of touch government's inability to understand ordinary people.

What One Night in Turn did do, however, was remind us of how narrow are the differences between success and failure, and the viciousness and self importance of the tabloid press. It also gave context to a tournament that had to be experienced at the time to be fully appreciated. There is plenty of footage of the summer of 1990 available online, and someone dedicated enough could create their own film of the available clips which, in the right hands, would probably be a lot better than this. But as a light piece of evening's entertainment, One Night in Turn isn't bad. It's just not as good as it ought to have been.

40 Most Beautiful Choral Classics
40 Most Beautiful Choral Classics
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A lazy compilation, 4 April 2014
Anyone looking for an ethereal, haunting choral collection might be better off looking elsewhere as this is just a weak "Greatest Hits" of Bach with a few others thrown in as an afterthought. Greensleeves? I mean, come on. Beautiful it is not. The best way to enjoy the music on offer here is to weed out the tired old detritus and trim it down to a single disc's worth.

The Sims 3
The Sims 3
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Sims 3 (App)
I'd have rather paid a fiver for the Freeplay as this one seems more like the poor relation. Over on Freeplay I can have multiple characters (though like this they all have exactly the same facial features), I can upgrade all the houses, have relationships, wander around the town with something better than a stick model... Fed up with all the prompts, too.

What on earth were EA thinking? On the plus side, I now have two different Sims games to mess around with. I'm just glad I have Sims 3: Pets ordered for the Xbox 360, though, as even the two Kindle games combined are a poor relation to the PC and console versions.

Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars : Directors Cut
Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars : Directors Cut
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Feb 2014
Broken Sword: TSotT is my favourite point and click game ever, going back to when I had the original version on Playstation. I love it so much that I then went and got it on PC where it appeared originally. Many years later, I bought it for the Nintendo DS. quite cheaply. Unfortunately, that version lacks voice acting (a major part of Broken Sword's charm) and even on a 3DS XL screen it feels cramped. By chance, I soon after found this Kindle Fire version, and I am delighted to say that it is absolutely superb. Stunning on the Kindle Fire's big hi res screen with its stellar art style and vibrant colours, plus it sounds great too via earphones. A must buy for old school adventure game fans.

Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Shenmue (Dreamcast)

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Shenmue (Dreamcast) (Video Game)
Shenmue is, quite likely, the greatest video game ever made. The fact that it is now 14 years old and still looks amazing and plays brilliantly only adds to its enduring charm. Anyone who has played Shenmue could talk at length about strolling around Dobuita and Yamanose and Shenmue's other areas. Imagine, too, an open world game of today that didn't contain endless swearing in order to make it somehow "real". Shenmue doesn't need ersatz "grit" to give it character, it has that in spades through superb writing, characters, environments and pacing.

Other titles since Shenmue have had larger landscapes, and I am a fan of many of Rockstar's offerings, but none have the heart of Ryo Hazuki, his family and friends. And enemies. The shops and other buildings aren't pointless empty boxes, either, with great interiors created for such classic retail outlets as the Tomato store and the YOU Arcade. In the former, and other such places, you can buy items, including food (handy for an abandoned kitten you will encounter), batteries, a torch, cassettes (it's 1986, remember) and much more. In YOU Arcade you can play arcade perfect versions of Hang On and Space Harrier, plus other titles. Then there is the beautiful soundtrack (it really is fantastic) and the narrative of tracking down ne'er do wells (including sailors - a hoot!), plus friendly locals who will offer advice. The supporting cast include Ryo's always anxious aunt chastising him for getting home late; Tom and his parping theme whenever you approach his van-cum-hot dog stall; the burger guy who only uses the very best beef in his burgers; Dandy Old Man, the local soak; the love interest Nozomi and many more. On and on go the layers in this brilliant character-led classic.

Myself and other Shenmue fans will never stop hoping for Shenmue 3. But if we are disappointed and such a title never emerges, we will return to Shenmue and Shenmue II time and again. Others prefer the sequel for its more focused story and larger in-game environments, diversity, etc. And they are right to love that also stunning game. For me, though, it's the hometown environments and slow burning pace of the original that I long to come back to most often.

Shenmue is quite simply the greatest game ever made.

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
Offered by SelectGames
Price: 39.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing has really changed, 5 Feb 2014
Due to a lack of decent action launch titles, I decided to go with Black Flag as one of my first buys for the PS4 despite already having it (and liking it) on Xbox 360. Unfortunately, having traded-in the latter to help finance this version, I could only fool myself it was actually better for a pretty short period of time. To all intents and purposes Assassin's Creed IV is the exact same game on Playstation 4 as it is on the last generation of consoles, and to spot the graphical improvements would require up-close scrutiny with two TVs next to each other running the different versions. And a magnifying glass.

As a game, though, it has great breadth and depth, and is a real pleasure to explore. That said, there are still bugs and glitches aplenty, so the port from last-gen to current is a rather lazy one. In these early days,though, when good titles are few and far between, Black Flag is, by default, the best action-adventure on PS4.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Complete HBO Season 1-8 [DVD] [2012]
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Complete HBO Season 1-8 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Larry David
Price: 65.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but also flawed, 5 Feb 2014
It's a dichotomy for me that while I really like Larry and the scrapes he forever gets himself into, the writing for the supporting cast has always been jarring. Literally, no one apart from Larry is remotely likeable, with the possible exception of Cheryl. So while LD's on-screen persona is a classic comedy creation, and many Larry-isms have rightly entered the comedic vernacular, the writing for third parties smacks of laziness. It's these two dimensional characters that I have always had a problem with, and to me that's Curb Your Enthusiasm's main weakness. Everyone in Larry's world has a hair trigger temper, is petty, or selfish, or downright ignorant. Often the people he encounters are all of the above, and his friends are usually no better. Who could live in a world like that?

For Larry's unstoppable sense of optimism, his confrontational exasperation, and for the Larry-isms, though, "Curb" is a series I will always return to. "Chat and cut"? Genius.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10