Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Stick man" (UK)

The Mabinogion Tetralogy
The Mabinogion Tetralogy
by Evangeline Walton
Price: 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 16 Feb 2014
I read the fourth branch by Evangeline Walton when I was still at school. A teacher recommended it to me after I talked to him about 'The Owl Service'. I wanted to now more about the story that underpinned the plot of TV series and Miss Walton's style of writing made the ancient text more accessible to a young mind. Now, not so young, I'm delighted to rediscover this classic and indebted to Overlook Duckworth for publishing it!

Quik Top Can Saver
Quik Top Can Saver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Quik Top Can Saver
These take a bit of finding now and they are dearer than others but they are well worth it! Marvellous.

Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
by Michael Cox
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Casting the runes, 17 April 2013
'Night of the Demon' has always been one of my favourite black and white films since I saw it as a child so I've wanted to read the story it was developed from for a long time.
If you've ever read the original book of 'Dracula' you would have been struck by how dated the style is. Well that's pretty much the impression I received from James' original stories. It's hard to criticise as he was very much a man of his time and it creates a gulf that's sometimes hard for we modern readers to cross. The films that have been made from his stories deliver the chills far more effectively (particularly the version of 'Whistle and I'll Come to you my Boy' which starred Sir Michael Horden, made in black and white). One thing that did strike my was how similar 'Whistle...' and 'A Warning to the Curious' are on the page. Almost the same story, in fact.
If you want to own M. R. James' stories this is an excellent edition but if you want to be scared witless, they are better delivered by the various screen writers.

The Bone Orchard
The Bone Orchard
Price: 13.13

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Bone Orchard, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Bone Orchard (Audio CD)
After listening to Gavin Davenport's 'From the Bone Orchard' I feel compelled to write something.
I had to pore over the folder, sniff the packaging, and absorb the great graphics and illustration before I could listen to the disk. So what impression does it leave? The first impression is powerful and striking. He's created a 'classic lineup' on this album which I hope he'll maintain. The production is flawless, the arrangements imaginative and remarkable and the band is full and rich without ever sounding over-stuffed or woolly. Every part earns its keep so the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. Not something you find too often these days. 'Bone Orchard' is a marvelous and complete piece of art and it's not been since the days of vinyl that I've been able to say that of an album.

Truth be told, although I spent many a happy year in a Morris side, I've never been a big fan of folk music as such. Nevertheless, I feel that this album really extends the genre in a very sincere way, embracing each tale and expanding the atmosphere while the running order has obviously been given careful consideration so the whole collection hangs together as a complete work really nicely. Rooted in a rich tradition, tracks like `Fair Rosamund' in particular are delightfully unsettling!
You will be as surprised as I was to learn that is only his second album. The quality of this disk sounds like like something from an older artist with a much longer track record. It's a very mature CD both in content and quality and I feel we can expect extraordinary things. To say that it's full of future promise sounds patronising because, without a doubt, `From the Bone Orchard' can certainly stand with the best already yet, if this is where Gavin Daveport is currently as a collector and artist then I, for one, look forward to following his work in the future!
I haven't heard folk done in this rich and expansive way before but maybe that's a flaw in my education; I can only speak as I find and I find 'From the Bone Orchard' a deeply absorbing and frequently uplifting album. It carries a very individual watermark and I expect future releases from Gavin Davenport will be immediately identifiable.

It Takes A Worried Man - The Complete Series 1 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
It Takes A Worried Man - The Complete Series 1 - [ITV] - [Network] - [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Tilbury
Price: 8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars It Takes a Worried Man, 9 Jan 2012
Oh boy! I was so glad to finally get my hands on this after all these years.
I was even happier to find that it was every bit as good as I remember. I could even remember some of the lines after all this time (and we didn't have video recorders then!) Peter Tilbury also created and wrote the best episodes of 'Shelley' (it just wasn't the same when Guy Jenkin took over, sadly).
Nicholas Le Prevost is a joy to watch too as the psychiatrist who constantly complains of his own problems. His wretched and heartfelt cry of "oooooh God!" (with head in hands) became almost a punch line in our house whenever anything was wrong! And of course he was fabulous in 'Motley Hall' too.
Andrew Tourell as 'The Old Man' (Tilbury's boss) is magnificently hangdog and also uses his idle employee as a dumping ground for his own problems which are fabulously surreal though completely believable!

While all the characters seem utterly desperate, they do show us how ridiculously funny unhappiness can be! I'm sure there's some wisdom in that. Or a reason to pursue a career in psychiatry!

Peter Tilbury wrote as well as starred in 'Worried Man' and I can't wait for the second series to become available. He vanished from our screens not long after and only reappeared many years later in a small part as a manager of a old folk's home in 'Waiting for God' for a while. He's a very, very underrated writer and actor. Where are you Mr. Tilbury? Your country needs you!

Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield
Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield
by Mike Oldfield
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Changeling review, 9 Jan 2012
First of all it's fair to say the writing style is a bit dry but if if Mike was a writer he'd had been writing books since 1973 instead of recording some of the best and most innovative music I've ever heard in my life.
'Changeling' covers almost everything from birth to present day including the Manor days (I met one of his dog's (Bootleg's) offspring once. What a claim to fame!) I'm glad to read that he rates 'Amarok' highly. It's one of my favourites too and I wondered at the time why I almost had to almost stumble across it. Apparently the record company didn't think it worth pushing! 'Amarok' is, in my opinion at least, to 'Ommadawn' what 'Tubular Bells II' was to 'Tubular Bells'!
This book is not a collection of rock and roll anecdotes, but a brave and open account of the life thus far of one of the most gifted (and one time notoriously introverted) musicians England has produced.
Mike describes in detail how he approached each album and the circumstances surrounding him at the time. Frankly it's amazing that he's been able to do anything in some of the places he's been, like the house on Hergest Ridge! Despite it all, he's still produced work of rare genius and deep feeling.
Then there's the exegesis seminar which helped him to escape the torment of his own mind. It was given some very bad press at the time, as I remember. Here he writes about it in detail. For him it included primal scream and rebirth enactment therapy and, while traumatic, it can't have been half as bad as the world he was living in up to then.
'Changeling' is a compelling and often surprising book and he writes as he plays; with his heart on his sleeve.
Mike Oldfield is a remarkable man who's lived a remarkable life and I'm very grateful for having had the chance to read about it. At the end I felt like standing and applauding his honestly and bravery. The man has come through hell to reclaim his own mind. This is a story of pain, fear and triumph. It's also a celebration of life and the opportunity he has to report on it in the language he understands best and which we've learned to understand over the years. Thank you Mike.

And then there's the lion. Don't forget the lion.

Being Human: Series One [DVD]
Being Human: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Tovey
Price: 5.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 19 Feb 2010
'Being Human' has to be the most original approach to the classic supernatural stereotypes of vampire, werewolf and ghost that I've seen in a long, long time. Ostensibly a comedy it digs deeper and works harder than the run of the mill and ranges from pathos to irony with a fluency that is a delight to see. Credit must go to Toby Whitehouse whose plotlines and dialogue are the driving force behind a show which is low on budget, high on impact. My only disappointment is in the casting of Annie. I felt that the original actress, Andrea Riseborough, should have been retained for the series but she perhaps had prior commitments. Pity. Lenora Critchlow swings from hysterical and wet to feisty and capable so suddenly that it fails to convince. Whether it's down to the writing or the actress I couldn't say but fortunately the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. One stand out character for me in season one is Herrick played by Jason Watkins. His short, endomorph, blonde appearance makes him look the most unlikely of villains but his tremendous acting ability and great use of his lines sees him go from warm and friendly to ice cold and deadly in a heartbeat. Herrick is clearly aware of his appearance and uses it to his advantage. Brilliant casting choice. I can't recommend this programme highly enough. If you haven't seen it yet then please try to. you won't regret it.