Profile for Alan F. > Reviews

Poldark [DVD]
Poldark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aidan Turner

4.0 out of 5 stars Why no blu-ray?, 31 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Poldark [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent series, to sure. However, yet again, the BBC has failed to make a series available for purchase on blu-ray. This is particularly annoying when it's getting a blu-ray release in the U.S. Time and again other countries have recieved HD releases of popular BBC shows when we at home are left with low quality DVD product. Must do better.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 4:08 AM BST

Blu-Ray Disc Cases - 11mm Spine - (10 Pack) - replacement standard blu ray SINGLE disc storage case
Offered by Dragon Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended replacement case, 20 Aug. 2014
Excellent product. Ideal for replacing those crappy 'eco' cases that many U.S blu-rays are packaged in these days.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2015 9:28 AM BST

The Invaders - The Believer's Box (Complete Box Set) [DVD]
The Invaders - The Believer's Box (Complete Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Thinnes
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish packaging, 31 Dec. 2013
Like many who have bought this set I did so because I loved watching it as a kid in the 70's. When the set recently became available for £16,99 in a Lightning Deal, I didn't think twice about ordering. Well the set arrived this morning and I have to echo the comments made by others about the packaging being dreadfully cheap. The whole sliding discs in and out of cardboard sleeves is guaranteed to lead to scratched discs. There is no reason that the manufacturer could not have used plastic amarays like everyone else. They are simply being cheap. All for the sake of saving a few pennies. My rating is purely about the packaging and not the show, or the DVD's themselves.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2014 12:33 PM BST

The Twilight Saga: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
The Twilight Saga: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars 90 min documentary STILL missing, 5 Oct. 2013
Good boxset on the whole, but I cannot believe that the extensive 90 min. 'Filming The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1' documentary is still missing. Practically every blu ray version of Breaking Dawn Part 1, outside of the UK, included the documentary. This boxset is a missed opportunity on the part of the manufacturers to finally put things right. Poor show.

Pan Am - Season 1 [DVD]
Pan Am - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christina Ricci

4.0 out of 5 stars Pan Am correct running order, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Pan Am - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
For anyone confused about the running order in which the episodes are meant to be watched, here you go:

01 Pilot
11 Secrets and Lies
12 Diplomatic Relations
13 New Frontiers
14 1964
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2015 12:32 PM BST

The Importance Of Being Earnest [Blu-ray]
The Importance Of Being Earnest [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rupert Everett

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing audio commentary, 6 Oct. 2012
Just a quick note. The blu-ray is worth buying for the improved PQ alone, let alone the fact that it is fairly inexpensive to pick up. However for those of you who already own the DVD, keep it. For some reason the blu-ray is missing the director's audio commentary track that was present on the DVD.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 5:34 PM BST

Thunderbirds: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Thunderbirds: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Alan Patillo

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful image, but still butchered., 27 Jan. 2010
I don't own this set myself. However a friend does and after watching a few episodes, I have to agree that the blu-ray image is quite remarkable. It is still, however, a cropped and butchered image. This show was made in 4:3, broadcast in 4:3 and meant to be seen in 4:3. People will quite happily criticise widescreen movies that have been cropped into academy ratio. Why, therefore, should we be willing to accept the cropping of 4:3 material. I'm guessing that it would be very difficult to gauge the number of lost sales this set has suffered from based on it's incorrect ratio. But I'm guessing it's more than a few. If the publishers were to release a blu-ray version of Thunderbirds, in it's original ratio then I'd quite happily lay down my cash. However until that happens I'm quite content to stick with my DVD's.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2015 12:55 PM BST

Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but story told better elsewhere, 22 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Young Victoria [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Although I kind of enjoyed this retelling of one of the more famous royal romances, throughout the viewing I felt that the story was, if not exactly racing ahead, being told in a fairly brisk manner. I could'nt figure it out until I realised I was constantly comparing to the BBC's adaptation of the story; Victoria and Albert (2001) which I had seen a few months earlier. On rewatching the BBC production again I can honestly say that I much prefer it to the 2009 movie. Fair enough it has more time in which to tell it's story, with a running length twice that of the movie. However I also prefered the performances, especially those of Nigel Hawthorne, as Melbourne, and Victoria Hamilton as Victoria.
I did like Emily Blunt's performance, but as I said the whole movie just felt a bit rushed, especially towards the end. And the less said about the complete fiction of Albert getting shot whilst shielding Victoria the better. What utter nonsense.
To sum up; enjoyable enough movie, but if you want a more rounder take on the story then get the BBC DVD.

Victoria And Albert [2001] [DVD]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2009 4:48 PM BST

Pride And Prejudice [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free]
Pride And Prejudice [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Pride and Prejudice

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the upgrade!, 29 Jan. 2009
I watched this the otherday and have to say that I am simply stunned at the increase in PQ, over the dvd, that the producers of this remastering have achieved from 16mm stock. I thoroughly enjoyed this from beginning to end.
The mini feature about this remastering is fascinating. The main extra however, a retrospective documentary, I found to be slightly disappointing. The reason for my disappointment? There is no input, what-so-ever, from any of the actors. I wish they had been able to include the "making of" from the original dvd, to give us a more complete package. Surely with the blu-ray format there is enough space on the disc (at least on disc one, which has no extra's).
On the whole, however, I highly recommend a purchase as it is the best way to view the production. I look forward to the remastering of other classic tv productions.

Philips DVP3120 - DVD Player
Philips DVP3120 - DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars A good inexpensive multi-regional player, 2 Nov. 2008
If all you want is a very basic dvd player, say for the bedroom, then at the moment, you are really looking at either this Philips or the Toshiba SD280E. They are similarly priced with similar specs. The advantage of the Tosh is that it will play your divx movies whilst the Philips will not. Nevertheless I chose the Philips, purely on the fact that it is silver in colour whilst the Toshiba is black. A minor point really but as my bedroom telly is also silver I wanted it to match.
I see from reading these comments that some have struggled with making the Philips multi-region. If this is you then try again and make sure you follow Kalpesh's instructions to the letter. It does work. It took me less than a minute to complete.

Page: 1 | 2