Profile for Wasty Hinges > Reviews

Nature's Great Events [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 16.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning - another BBC triumph!, 13 Aug 2009
The BBC have done it again! If like me you can't get enough of the 'Planet Earth' box set in HD then you MUST buy this. The photography as you'd expect is at times simply breathtaking and apart from the obvious stars of the show being the animals themselves, special mention must go to the camera crew and production team for creating another masterpiece. The icing on the cake is of course Mr Attenborough's narration. Like most people I've grown up watching his programs over the last 30 years and for me no nature documentary is complete without it being presented or narrated by the great man himself - simple as that. The main reason for me upgrading to HD a few years ago was to be able to watch programmes such as this in HD. This DVD and other recent BBC releases have proved to be justification enough (if only the earlier Attenborough films were remastered into HD - here's hoping). If you don't own a Blu-Ray player already and you like nature documentaries, buy one now you won't be dissapointed :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2010 8:16 PM GMT

Yamaha YSP600BL Black Home Cinema Digital Sound Projector
Yamaha YSP600BL Black Home Cinema Digital Sound Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound without the cables, compact and value for money, 11 Aug 2009
The Yamaha YSP-600 is very compact which has to be one of it's biggest selling points for me. I don't have a big budget so I was also considering the 'Logic3 TX101' but this thing is HUGE and regrettably was 10mm too high to fit on the shelf of my TV stand (although it does look more impressive). The Yamaha unit fits very neatly under my TV without drawing too much attention to itself and looks fairly smart although it can look a little bit cheap when compared to some of it's more expensive rivals. However, considering the price I guess that's to be expected.

Regrettably since moving house my TV is now in a corner position and I suspect that the surround sound effect suffers a bit because of this. Because the YSP-600 simulates the effect of having five speakers (plus subwoofer) by reflecting the sound off your walls, furniture placement and wall surface (we have one exposed stone wall) all affect the unit's abilty to acheive a convincing result. So don't expect this to be quite as involved as a traditional multi speaker set up. That said, to be fair, it is still pretty convincing and certainly an improvement over the pseudo surround effect that can be acheived through in built TV speakers (I own a Sony W series LCD). Bass frequencies are also a big improvement over flat screen TV speakers considering the size of the amp/cones but as other reviews have pointed out if you're looking for some 'beefy' bass that you get from a subwoofer then you'll be very dissappointed. In this case I would suggest purchasing an additional subwoofer which can be rigged up to the YSP-600 just as you can with a standard 5.1 amp.

All in all I think that the Yamaha YSP-600 is a very convincing solution if you don't want or can't have (you know what I'm getting at....) a traditional 5.1 speaker setup. It is a compromise after all but for around 300 I reckon it's probably the best all in one solution. The only reason I've given it 4 stars is because in Australia it comes packaged with a subwoofer and I think it would have been nice to have the option.

Derwent Artists Pencils Wooden Box (120)
Derwent Artists Pencils Wooden Box (120)
Price: 127.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great quality but only for the serious amateur or professional, 20 Feb 2009
If you have a serious interest in creating masterpieces using pencil crayons then these could well be for you. The sheer range of colours on offer is fantastic but be warned this can be more of a hinderance than a help at times. You need a decent amount of space to spread the trays out which is what I tend to do but this is when it can get a bit tricky as you can easily feel overwhelmed by the 120 colours on offer. I would suggest that unless you really need such an array, save your money and buy a smaller set. The box does look very nice on your desk instead of the tins though :-) Although it's a lot of cash, at it's current price of 84.99 the box is great value but if you haven't tried Derwent pencils before make sure you try some first before spending you're hard earned cash on this set. Also, just a tip - always scribble each colour on a scrap of paper first before you commit it to your drawing as some of the colour indicators are a bit misleading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2011 12:26 PM GMT

Pat Metheny Group-Way Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Pat Metheny Group-Way Up [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Pat Metheny Group
Offered by FLASH
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars PMG in high definition - what more could you ask for :-), 20 Feb 2009
If you're a PMG fan, or even if you appreciate great music and have just purchased a Blu Ray player this is an absolute must. The picture quality is stunning - amongst the best I've seen despite being 1080i not 1080p. Regrettably, I don't have a surround sound system so I can't comment fully on the audio side of things although on my Sony W series TV all the instruments are clear, occupying their own space in the mix whilst maintaining a suitable level of ambience, portraying the live dynamics well. I agree with reviewer 'firesidefred' in that this DVD is arguably more enjoyable than the album itself. Being such a complex piece it's a musical journey which is enhanced by the fact that you can study the mind blowing display of musicianship and technical skill in detail. How on earth the guys managed to remember this piece from start to finish is beyond me!

From a visual point of view the various camera angles are well chosen and enhance the experience rather than detracting from it which is often the case. Likewise there are no silly amateur style transitions which unfortunately hampered PMG's 'Imaginary Day Live' DVD release. I notice that a previous reviewer describes 'The Way Up' as one of Metheny's 'worst ever compositions', this is a matter of personal taste of course but it does leave me wondering why he purchased this DVD in the first place..? I have to admit that when I bought the CD it took me several attempts to really appreciate it fully but it's the type of music that the more you listen to it, the more you get out of it and it's now become one of my favourite PMG albums. Yes it would have been nice to have some of his greatest hits on there, however this in no way detracts from the DVD's merit. If you like PMG, buy it - it's as simple as that.

Live At Montreux 2003 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Live At Montreux 2003 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jethro Tull
Offered by FLASH
Price: 11.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Tull in HD - awesome!, 19 Feb 2009
I'm so glad that eagle vision have decided to release the 'Live in Montreux' series in HD (I also own the Tori Amos DVD from the series). The picture quality is excellent, as is the sound. A large percentage of my CD/DVD collection consists of 70's rock bands; from Black Sabbath through to Yes. The problem is that only a handful of these bands are still going and lets face it some should have hung there instruments up over a decade ago....

Not so with Ian Anderson and co. Like many other bands of the era they've gone through many personnel changes over the years (Only Anderson and Barre are here from the early line up) but once you sit down and press play it doesn't seem to matter. Regarding song choice, admittedly I always crave more of the earlier classic stuff but I guess you have to have a good mix to cover a somewhat lengthy career - Living in the Past, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath are all present and correct to satisfy the nostalgic amongst us. What strikes me most about watching this gig is how tight the band are. The arrangements are fantastic and the musicianship is second to none. Mr Anderson jigs around (almost) as nimbly as he ever did and the DVD seems to have captured the feeling of energy perfectly. If you have a Blu Ray player and can stretch the budget a bit, it's well worth the extra cash.

Live At Montreux 1991/92 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Live At Montreux 1991/92 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Tori Amos
Price: 16.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic ablum - Classic Tori live..., 19 Feb 2009
Having seen Tori perform live a number of times both solo and with a band I was curious to see how this would translate to Blu Ray. Far too often live DVD's are disappointing, failing to capture 'the moment' and more often than not being let down by poor sound mixes or dodgy camera angles. If you'r'e looking for a chance to use the 'multi angle button' on your remote then I'm afraid you won't get the chance. This is no bad thing however, it's just pure Tori right at the beginning of her career, no fancy lighting, no band - it's FANTASTIC. It's a pure joy to watch and a real treat for those of us who didn't get the chance to see her early in her career (my first Tori gig was in '96). I seem to remember Tori commenting that she had to make too many compromises with the 'Little Earthquakes' album to satisfy the commercial desires of the record company (although it's still one of my favourites). Without a band present in both performances I can only assume that these arrangements are closer to her original intentions. This footage illustrates perfectly Tori's skill as a musician, songwriter and performer. Her occasional dialogue gives the viewer an insight into her personality, the highlight of which is on the opening track of her '92 set 'Little Earthquakes' (about 2m 33s in) when she stops playing and reprimands some members of the audience for talking during the performance - priceless.

The only negative comment is that there is some distortion of the electric piano at times on the '91 show which does spoil things slightly but needless to say an essential purchase for any Tori fan.

Groom Mate Platinum Xl Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer
Groom Mate Platinum Xl Nose and Ear Hair Trimmer
Offered by Body4Real
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST A NOSE HAIR TRIMMER THAT WORKS...!!, 18 Feb 2009
Now that I'm in my early thirties, I've spent the last couple of years desperately trying to ignore a number of physical changes that come with age; grey hairs appearing, my belly getting rounder and last but not least hairs sprouting out of my nose that I swear are getting more numerous as the months pass by...(at least the hair in my ears is behaving itself so far). Anyway, onto the product itself. Without wanting to sound to enthusiastic about the 'Groom Mate' (it only trims nose hair after all), if you're looking for a nose hair trimmer that does exactly what it says on the tin then this is the one for you - and no need for batteries which is definitely a bonus. I used to own a battery operated trimmer but this consistently failed to trim my nose hair requiring several attempts - worse still it would often pluck hairs out completely (ouch!). This product is brilliant - simple to use; just a few rotations of the bottom section and all offending hairs are removed. You can't feel a thing - so much so that I was convinced it hadn't done anything at first. Far easier than trying to cut with scissors and far less painful than tweezers. It's a little bit pricey compared to some battery operated alternatives but I have to say it's well worth the money. Forget the well known mainstream brands - this product is THE nose hair trimmer to have.

Jurassic Shift
Jurassic Shift
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ....the art of rolling a cannonball using the tip of your nose...., 4 July 2008
This review is from: Jurassic Shift (Audio CD)
This a fantastic album and one that I play on a regular basis. I already own the original album from it's release in '93 but being a big Ozric's fan I thought that I'd splash out on this version as I'm always keen on getting my hands on some live footage. The DVD contains some great stuff, not least the amusing interview with Ed and John :-) I particularly enjoy the footage taken from a jam at the Mill Studio which offers a rare insight into the band 'behind the scenes'. The only drawback is that both the picture and audio quality of some of the footage is a bit below par (could be bootleg stuff?) which is a bit disappointing. If you are just discovering the Ozrics and you're not too bothered about the DVD then it's probably a better bet to buy the dual album release Erpland/Jurrasic Shift for 6.48 (which is madness!). However if you're a dedicated fan looking for some snippets that you've not seen before this is a worthy addition to your collection.

Sunrise Festival
Sunrise Festival
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - a must buy for any Ozric fan!!!, 4 July 2008
This review is from: Sunrise Festival (Audio CD)
As a massive Ozrics fan for longer than I care to mention, any new release is a must have addition to my CD/DVD collection. Having not been to any Ozrics gigs for quite a while I couldn't wait to feast my eyes on the DVD and whilst I'm sure it's no where near as good being there, having just watched it I can't wait to watch it again. Great to see Joie back on the keys and Merv back on the drums. To quote the sleeve notes "We were giggling with delight as we watched Merv coping with his first time behind a drum kit in over a decade, and cope he did", well he did more than cope, if this is true the man's a absolute star, his playing was fantastic. Joie, of course also deserves a mention, injecting his much missed classic synth splooshes, gurgles and samples into the mix, often causing me to smile in nostalgia. Ed was his usual genius self and having seen Brandi play bass for the first time I was more than impressed :-) At the last gig I went to Brandi was playing the synths and although she did a great job in the aftermath of Seaweed's departure (big shoes to fill) I wasn't convinced she really fitted well into the Ozrics live extravaganza. I now stand corrected. The only thing still missing for me is Jon on flutes. His presence on stage is sorely missed and the lack of his spaced out flute playing leaves some uncomfortable 'empty' spaces in the music at times. That said, this is some much needed live footage of the band and the DVD does a very good job at keeping me happy until I get to see them live once again. Oh yeah, the CD's pretty good as well...!! At 9.98 for a CD and DVD this is an absolute steal - buy it NOW!