Profile for Mr. Phil Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Phil Williams

Mr. Phil Williams "Phil Williams" (Bristol, England United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Elizabethan House, 32 New Street, Plymouth
Elizabethan House, 32 New Street, Plymouth
by Crispin Gill

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book!, 14 Dec. 2014
Was advertised as a paperback so assumed it was a book but it's a leaflet. In fairness it did say 8 pages in the description but due to the paperback claim I didn't notice until I checked after receipt. Would have returned it but it's for my wife who had family who lived in the house so have kept it.

Denon AVR-X1000 Integrated Network AV Surround Receiver - Black
Denon AVR-X1000 Integrated Network AV Surround Receiver - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Denon AVR-X1000!, 24 July 2014
I love my Denon AVR-X1000! Didn't know much about these things but my wife bought me a blue ray player for christmas and while films look great I really missed the surround sound from my old Sony dvd player. Was looking on Amazon one day when one of these type of machines popped up and it got me thinking, not only could I hear my films in 5.1 surround sound but also connect my Virgin Tivo box and get all the sound I was missing out on from telly programs PLUS my beloved Xbox. I chose the Denon AVR-X1000 as I'm on a budget and it seemed to offer the best value when you take all the features into account. Must admit I didn't buy through Amazon (sorry, but did buy lots of bits for it with you) When it came I was surprised just how large it was even though I'd measured the space before hand but it's not obtrusive in my telly stand. Set up was really easy though I did download the instructions before ordering so I did have some understanding before trying to stick wires into various holes. Set up was very straight forward as others have said. As stated I'm on a budget so used the speakers from my old sony dvd player and bought a new active subwoofer (Vibe OptiSound TV6D Digitial TV Subwoofer) which, in my smallish living room does the job well. I can't get over how good my old speakers sound now they're on the Denon, just shows the quality of the unit. I love that I've got the ability to listen to the radio again using the receiver AND I love being able to listen to my albums via a USB stick. I purchased a SanDisk 32 GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive which matches the Denon perfectly, it's so tiny I can leave it in place in the USB port and you can hardly see it from where I sit. Think it's an essential accessory if you love your music like me. I haven't connected it to the internet yet so sadly can't comment on that side of things. Finally the important aspect, my Xbox sounds brilliant! playing it through my Denon just brings the game alive and I find I'm much more involved then I used to be so happy days! ps, I used to listen to the telly at night using headphones so I don't disturb the family but since my unit came at the beginning of July I've not used them once due to the clarity of the sound produced by my shiny new toy. For me the important aspect was quality and not volume and I certainly haven't been disappointed. :-)

Cruzer Fit 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35)
Cruzer Fit 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 22 July 2014
I bought this as I'd purchased an Denon AV receiver which had a USB port on it's facia and would play my music collection from a USB stick. As I didn't want to keep removing the USB drive from the machine so my music was always available I wanted something that wouldn't look out of place on my shiny new (toy) receiver. The Cruzer is perfect! It's so small and the same colour as my receiver that from where I sit I can hardly see it and even up close unless you were looking for it you would think it part of my machine. Hard to imagine that something so small can hold so much music :-)

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Oct. 2013
Bought these when a low energy bulb in my kitchen light unit packed in.I hated the blubs i'd bought as they took ages to light up so found I ended up leaving the light on for most of the evening to be able to use the kitchen. They also had a strange colour which made food look grey?? saw these bulbs and as they were half the cost of ones i was looking at thought i'd give them a go and so glad i did, they are brill! They come on instantly, they are brighter then the ones they replace and are cheaper to run. they are as good as the halogin bulbs that were in the unit originally. Great product :-)

J118 LED Replacement Energy Saving Security & Pir Flood Light Bulb R7s J118mm LED 10w Warm White
Offered by Strictly Lamps

3.0 out of 5 stars Dim, 6 Oct. 2013
Odered as a replacement for the floodlight bulb on the back of the house which had been 300w. This light is soo much dimmer so i couldn't recommend it if you wanted to use it for security purposes but for gentle illumination of our patio it works fine and at 10w has got be a lot cheaper to run. Just think of your requirements before ordering.

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Offered by Data Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater (Accessory)
Have always had problems with wi-fi coverage in my house, the internet cable was installed upstairs so thats where the router {now Virgin media hub} is sited. Sadly wi-fi doesn't reach the downstairs lounge very well and my xbox was always dropping the conection. The strengh of wi-fi signal to my phone was always poor too. Since installing the wi-fi repeater {which was so very simple} my phone tells me signal strengh is excellent and my xbox hasn't lost conection once. Brill little gadget that i recomend anyone to give a try who experianced similar issues to me.

The Prestige [DVD] [2006]
The Prestige [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Brill!!, 16 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Prestige [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
What a great film. Not sure what I was expecting but really really enjoyed it. This is a film that reminded me of the structure of the six sense and with just a little more character depth or development this would have been a 5 star film. As it is I feel it just misses out on that fifth star but it's a film I could watch again and probably again as it has a lot of depth and I think you are likely to find elements you missed first time round. A good way to spend the evening!

The Sentinel [DVD] [2006]
The Sentinel [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Michael Douglas
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Sentinel [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
What a shame! I was really looking forward to this film but felt it was a real let down. With a cast of this calibre it should have shone but after viewing it, it seemed instantly forgettable and I feel that I really wasted the evening watching it.

Joytech 8inch Digital LCD Slimline Monitor (PS2)
Joytech 8inch Digital LCD Slimline Monitor (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joytech ps2 monitor review., 7 Jun. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've owned one of these for the last 2 years and it's a fantastic bit of kit. Without doubt it's the best gaming accessory I've ever purchased allowing me to continue playing when the boss has the unreasonable desire to watch the soaps on tv, I even put my ps2 on an extension lead and carry on gaming in the garden in the evening when the light isn't so strong and you can easily see the screen. Combined with the ps2 the overall size is still small and hardly any bigger than an average hardback book. I also purchased the matching case which holds plenty of games and gear and means it's easy to take to other places and remain protected. One word on the after sales service from Joytech. My original unit developed a fault with the power in socket which was just wear and tear through the use I give it. I contacted them to see if I could take it somewhere to get it repaired but they replaced it free of charge even though it was a good eighteen months old. THAT IS FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Overall a brilliant and essential accessory and I won't consider swapping my ps2 for ps3 unless joytech produce one for it. I know they do one for the 360 but I haven't seen it so shouldn't really comment but if it's half as good it must be worth having.

Canon A520 Digital Camera [4MP, 4 x Optical Zoom]
Canon A520 Digital Camera [4MP, 4 x Optical Zoom]

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera, 10 April 2006
My A520 camera was bought as a christmas presant for me and initally I was dissapointed when I opened it. As a life long 35mm slr user I thought I knew what I would want in a digi camera and this little thing certaninly wouldn't live upto my demands. I was wrong!It's numerous functions including full manual, allow amazing creativity and it copes with every task I've thrown at it. It has a brilliant lens and I've no hessitation in printing and displaying photos up to A4. It's a camera that wont suit every one due to it's size because it's a compact but for most shots it's great, the 4 times zoom works out at about a 135mm lens in 35mm but you can get a tele lens adaptor but I've not seen one so can't comment. It only takes 2 AA batteries which don't last that long but hay if your daft enough not to take spares when out taking shots then that's your loss, it certainly helps keep the size down allowing you to slip it in a pocket meaning no more heavey gadet bags to carry all day, Bliss!! Overal this is a great camera at a fantastic price and I have no intention of getting rid of mine for a long time to come.

Page: 1 | 2