Profile for N. Mason > Reviews

Content by N. Mason

N. Mason (Taunton, Somerset United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Living Years
The Living Years

3.0 out of 5 stars good - but could have been better, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Living Years (Kindle Edition)
As a lifelong Genesis fan (I first saw them in 1970, just after I bought Trespass) I did enjoy reading this book. It was good to read the background behind many of the Genesis stories and get some more depth and detail of the members of the band. However, much as I enjoyed it I felt once I have finished it that an opportunity had been missed. Too many areas and times were passed over in a few sentences and every time a particular album was discussed there was just enough material to get you interested but never enough so I felt satisfied. A typical example is his comments on the album 'Genesis'; he quite rightly describes the first half of that album as being some of the best stuff they ever produced but fails to mention that the second half is some of the worst 'pop' rubbish they ever made. There are numerous examples of this throughout the book and my ultimate feeling about the book is one of dissatisfaction.

Stainless Steel 6oz Hip Flask Alcohol Drink Shots Spirit Container Ski Skiier Engraved
Offered by Old Lane Engraving

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 19 Jan. 2015
Perfect little present, just right for the slopes

Never Had It So Good: A History of Britain from Suez to the Beatles
Never Had It So Good: A History of Britain from Suez to the Beatles
by Dominic Sandbrook

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Modern History, 12 Dec. 2014
If you want to read about modern British History then Sandbrook is your man. This is one of a series of books tracing Britain from the 1950's towards the present day. He always manages to write in a totally accessible way without ever trivialising the material. This book does not cover a very long time but there is so much to read that it draws you in and helps you to understand how Britain today has been influenced by the events of nearly 60 years ago.

Wintercoast
Wintercoast

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Touchstone so far, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Wintercoast (Audio CD)
I came to Touchstone a little late but now having been a fan for a little while I still feel that this is their most complete and best album. The balance between 'rocky' numbers and more 'prog' type music is just right and the twin vocals sit perfectly with the rest of the album. A really good album.

Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars A very ordinary album, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out - listened to it lots of times, but each time I listened, I reached the end thinking - 'is that it'? I decided to leave the album for a few weeks and try again. I did this and listened many times again and then realised why I don't like it very much - basically, it is not a bad album, it is just a very dull album.

I have been a fan since 1971 but do not expect to hear slightly different versions of 'Yours is No Disgrace, 'Roundabout' or 'Close to the Edge'. I really enjoyed 'Fly From Here' and thought 'The Ladder' was one of their very best. What I do expect from Yes is to hear interesting music with some life and, perhaps, just the odd track that still makes you think 'that is why I love this band' Doesn't happen for me with this album.

Weather Systems
Weather Systems

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year 2012, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Weather Systems (Audio CD)
I am a late convert to Anathema (about 6 albums ago) but they just seem to get better and better. 'We're Here Because We're Here' is a superb album and yet within 2 years they produce something which takes their music to new heights. It is an album that I can never listen to once - I always have to repeat listen and even then I will often listen to something as beautiful as 'Untouchable Pt2' 3 or 4 times.'The Storm Before the Calm'is another track of brilliance but it is actually difficult to criticise any track as the whole album gels so perfectly.

As many other reviewers have stated, I cannot believe that this band are not world famous. I can only recommend that if you are someone thinking about buying an 'Anathema' album then give this stunning album a go; but be warned, it could cost you a lot of money as I am sure you will want to buy the rest as well!.

New Light: Live In Concert
New Light: Live In Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars Another top quality album, 7 Jan. 2013
I have been lucky enough to see Karnataka in concert a number of times. Every concert has been a real experience with top quality music played throughout by a band that deserves far greater recognition. This double album has all their best songs with great renditions of 'Serpent and the Sea', 'Forsaken' and 'The Gathering Light' the real highspots but there are no real weak areas. This album really is worth a listen and I can only hope that their next original album (whenever that is released) will expose them to the larger audience they fully deserve.

PASS THE CLOCK
PASS THE CLOCK

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Anthology, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: PASS THE CLOCK (Audio CD)
I first heard Mostly Autumn a couple of years ago on a 'Prog Rock Sampler'. Having liked that I took a chance on buying this sampler. The bad news is that buying this album has cost me a fortune as I have spent the last few months buying up their back catalogue!

There are longer and more detailed reviews of the songs on this album available so I will not go over the contents - suffice to say that this band are a joy to listen to and I am astonished that they do not have a much higher profile. They are also superb live.

If you have the chance to see them - take it, you will have a great evening. If you have a few quid available to take a chance on listening to some top quality music then go for it - I doubt you will be disappointed.

Compendium
Compendium

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated Band and Album, 12 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Compendium (Audio CD)
I saw 'Mr So and So' as support to Marillion many years ago and bought this album after the show. It's not the best album you will ever hear but it certainly desereves not to fall into obscurity. There are some top class pieces of music on this album. The vocals are not always the strong point but the instrumental interplay is a joy to listen to and the songs are always well structured.

If you like music such as Marillion / Genesis etc and you have a few quid to spare you could do much worse than trying out this underrated album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2012 5:03 PM GMT

Bandstand
Bandstand
Offered by Stewybus

5.0 out of 5 stars Is This Their Best??, 17 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Bandstand (Audio CD)
Family started brilliantly with two of the most original albums of the 'progresssive' era('Family Entertainment' and 'Music in a Dolls House'). I have never found their third album ('A Song for Me') a highspot but their next two albums, 'Anyway' and 'Fearless took them to new heights.

When 'Bandstand' first came out in the early 70's I felt it was a very good album but not one of my favourites. However, over the years my views have changed and I now believe that this may well be their finest hour. This album is so diverse and showcases all the sides of a truly original and innovative band. The wonderful 'Burlesque is a superb opener and then it gathers strength with 'Bolero Babe' and 'Coronation' before a run of four 10/10 tracks in 'Dark Eyes', 'Broken Nose' (brilliant)' the lovely acoustic 'My Friend the Sun, and finally 'Glove' (again brilliant). The last two tracks 'Ready to Go' and 'Top of the Hill' are perhaps only 9/10 in comparison but top quality songs nonetheless. This version also has a few extra tracks including the excellent 'Weavers Answer'.

The whole band is in top form throughout and the only shame is that the next album ('It's Only a Movie') was a bit of a disappointment in comparison, as well as being the last original album.

If you want to hear a truly top notch band at the top of their game this is an album to buy but, do give it time if you do not know the band's music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5