Profile for Mr. M. L. Cawood-campbell > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. L. Cawo...

Mr. M. L. Cawood-campbell (Sheffield, Uk)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Improbable Thing
Improbable Thing
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Improbable Thing (MP3 Download)
The Humans continue to evolve and develop their exciting sound. I listened originally as a Toyah fan, now I listen as a The Humans fan.

Lush Life
Lush Life
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the 4AD band, beautiful strings instrumentals, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Lush Life (MP3 Download)
Well in a flurry of quick purchasing I bought this, along with another MP3 by a group called Lush, ep titled lush morning. neither are the band LUSH who were on 4AD. I think Lush, Lush Life album is lovely, beautiful violin, cellos etc. but if you are expecting the indie shoe glazing group, this is not them. A a background sound this is excellent. I may see if more info is listed on Amazon for the physical cd. Slight old fashioned sound, Tv sound track to Mapp & Lucheia, or similar 1920's era. Not a bad thing!!!

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar)
The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar)
by Tad Williams
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical, and enjoyable read, 23 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have not read Tad Williams before. I will remedy that. This was brilliant. Fantastic characters, quirky take on existence! Bobby Dollar is a main protagonist who will be fascinating to watch evolve further, as he did throughout the novel.

Managing for People Who Hate Managing: Be a Success by Being Yourself
Managing for People Who Hate Managing: Be a Success by Being Yourself
by Devora Zack
Price: 11.10

5.0 out of 5 stars effective, and entertaining, 23 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very successful book. Very insightful, and enjoyable to read with great humour that compliments, rather detracts from the main themes of the book.

Fade to Black: Book 1 of the Rojan Dizon Novels
Fade to Black: Book 1 of the Rojan Dizon Novels
by Francis Knight
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I romped through this. Very enjoyable. The concept of 'pain Magic' is fascinating. I'm intrigued as to where Francis Knight will take these Rojan Dizon books. I am really looking forward to further explorations of the 'underworld'.

Stormdancer: The Lotus War: Book One (Lotus War 1)
Stormdancer: The Lotus War: Book One (Lotus War 1)
by Jay Kristoff
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical, and rewarding read, 1 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this from the outset. I loved the twisted version of a still feudal 'Japan.'That unfamiliarity is one of its strengths and merits it adds to the sense of 'oddness', 'other-worldliness' which typifies the book. I am absolutely delighted that this is the first in a series of books. Thank goodness for wikipedia!! I also checked out what 'Steampunk' was, and love how easy it is to find out such 'literary trends'for want of a better phrase.There is a quote on the sleeve by someone called Patrick Rothfuss, a fantasy writer which sums up my reaction to this book "Mythic creatures, civil unrest, and a strong female protagonist? I'm afraid I missed everything you said after 'Japanese Steampunk.' That's all I really needed to hear." A total triumph really, well paced, engaging, and extremely readable. There are some excellent 'world builders' out there. Jay Kristoff certainly has created memorable, convincing characters, who I cared about, as well as a storming fast paced adventure. Can't wait for book two!!

For the Sender: Four letters. Twelve songs. One Story.
For the Sender: Four letters. Twelve songs. One Story.
by Alex Woodard
Price: 9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel Idea that worked, 1 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I devoured this in one sitting, and was disappointed that the CD only contained 5 tracks, so I bought the proper version. It should not work, in many ways, as essentially it is one man's journey creatively from a lost place to a found place. It could come across as mawkish, but it does work. Alex Woodard is clearly talented, but the systems in place concerning 'freeing' creativity into the wider world worked against him. I think this 'novella' and CD package, which in my review copy included photographs of the various people, and animals, that inspired a blocked individual, works because I love his voice, and music. It works because it feels genuine. It works because it is not over long and padded. Alex describes succinctly his personal demons, and how he conquered them to communicate through ART.It is listed as a memoir, which it is, but it is much more. Alex Woodard connects to others. The book contains the Lyrics, which are good, but great when sang and emoted. A risky strategy, because if you do not like the music much of the power is mitigated, but the redemptive message is very important to get 'out there.' I truly hope this is extremely successful, financially for Alex. Undoubtedly it worked creatively, and I'd be interested in listening to further music by him and his collective the 'naysayers'. For me it does raise key issues about creativity, and the value of how important communicating to others is. It is a testament to his tenacity that 'For The Sender' is produced and available to buy. There are clearly more creative ways to cut through the cynical 'industry', and Alex has found one. Greatest hopes for the future for him in his journey ahead.

The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)
The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)
by Maurice Druon
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, but complex in a confusing way, 26 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It may well be just me, but I found the complex inter-relationships of the characters, as challenging as Tolkien. Many will be attracted to this, and I was but found it too much. It maybe the ancient french back story too. It was difficult to get into, and I was suprised that it was actually an old book re-issued (originally written in French and released in 1955, not that there is anything wrong in that. It does have a very helpful list of Characters at the beginning of the novel, which I frequently referred to. A novel that could extremely easily translate visually, and it really is "the Original 'Game of Thrones'" as announced by the author of those amazing books George R R Martin on the front cover of the copy sent by Amazon Vine.I confess being irritated by having lyrics and poems scattered through the text in French, but not translated, but purely because I do not read french!!!!This is a historical fantasy novel, and if you like that sort of thing you will love this. I find it hard to comment on the technical aspects of the book, as it is all in translation, but I did enjoy it, and would consider reading others in the series.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2013 9:10 AM GMT

Cooking with Bones
Cooking with Bones
by Jess Richards
Price: 14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars beguiling, beautiful and poetic, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cooking with Bones (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I totally love this. Jess Richards is an amazing writer. With "Cooking with Bones" she captures Angela Carter and Margaret Atwood. If you loved 'The handmaids tale', 'Oryx & Crake' and 'The year of The Flood' this should be essential purchase. Pre-order today, I have, as I want to own the Hardback. I've ordered the hardback of her debut "Snake Ropes" too. This is a highly original book. The very vague back story ( I mean this without disrespect, but praise ) is a futuristic one, but not hard Sci- fi, morphs into a disturbed Grimm like saturnalian fairy tale.She creates a believable world of the classic science fiction conceit, of hyper science/ humanity plunging into superstitious 'dark' ages. But this is a real novel, exploring real emotional dilemmas, of identity, perception, hope, all magically. Magical realism is the best way to describe it. Off Kilter, but not for any old reason, but to explore the themes Jess Richards wants to.In the way that Magaret Atwood revisited the world she'd created in "Oryx & Crake", in the "The Year Of The Flood", the same time, but totally different perspectives, I hope that Jess Richards next novel explores the mysterious world of the futuristic city-world of "Paradon". On the back of the uncorrected proof I have read, it describes the book as "A dark lavish fairytale with sharp teeth" which I think perfectly sums up the novel.I can not wait to read "Snake Ropes", and own a hardback copy of "Cooking With Bones". Love at first paragraph....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 5:29 PM GMT

Mercury Rests (Mercury Series Book 3)
Mercury Rests (Mercury Series Book 3)
by Robert Kroese
Price: 7.64

3.0 out of 5 stars gutted, not in the same league as firtst two books, 18 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh Dear, most disappointed. I loved the first two books, but this is beyond the pale. what appealed about the first two books, now grates. I'm bored with it. Less is more. The little footnotes are tedious rather than witty. Formulaic. Should have left it at two books, which galls me, as I love the main character of Mercury, and was extremely excited when I first saw this... too much of a good thing....My review is full of cliches, like the third book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8