Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop now
Profile for T. Gomes > Reviews

Content by T. Gomes

T. Gomes (Moledo Portugal)

Page: 1 | 2
Bodybuilding, Strength Training and Steroids: The Complete Guide
Bodybuilding, Strength Training and Steroids: The Complete Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - COMPLETE guide., 24 Dec. 2013
Everything you need to know about lifting, exercise, diet and steroids in one book. Best of all, there's an emphasis on safety. The author does everything he can to ensure you're not going to injure yourself lifting, or doing cardio ... or using steroids.

And on the subject of steroids, the best and most comprehensive info you're going to find.

Seriously, buy the book. It made me think twice about my whole approach to training. I'm 12kgs bigger, much stronger, AND healthier as a result.

TG

The Heroes (First Law World 2)
The Heroes (First Law World 2)
by Joe Abercrombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wit, talent and truth about war, 24 Oct. 2012
My hopes are high for Joe's new work, Red Country. However, for now The Heroes is the best novel by Joe that I've read. And it's one of the best novels I've ever read.

As a reader it's easy to skim through a novel for the story, but slow down and you'll see real talent here. The way Joe writes dialogue, the way he incorporates ironic asides, the way he makes action seem frenetic - it's all done to perfection.

Joe's gift for humour is a major selling point, as ever. It's a laugh out loud read, over and over again. But there's something profound here too. This novel doesn't set out to preach, but it does expose the truth about war. It shows armies fighting for the sake of a few lines on a map, and it shows how utterly futile that is.

Finally, I'm writing this after attending one of the dates in Joe's 2012 book tour. As well as being the most exciting author in fantasy fiction at the moment he is always a great guy.

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to those attacking George RR Martin!, 15 Dec. 2011
This is the second review I've written of this book, given that the first got wiped when I tried to publish it.

Oh well! I can't reproduce what I wrote the first time, but to summarise, I'd like to argue against those who have attacked George RR Martin, as follows:

(1) This book and the Ice and Fire series or frankly mind-boggling in the way they combine epic expansiveness with intricacy and detail. No writer depicts characters better than GRRM, and while he has always written well, in terms of quality of writing I'd say ADWD is his best yet.

I'd add that to see his fictional world with so much scope AND detail, to empathise with his characters so deeply, GRRM must need to take a "gods eye view". And given that he isn't a god, should we be surprised that it takes time? Which leads me to ...

(2) People have criticized GRRM for writing slowly, but this is utterly inappropriate. Almost none of the most brilliant authors of our time would be able to produce anything close to this book over a whole lifetime. To write like this he must be incredibly determined, and he must work very, very, very hard!

GRRM's detractors have had a silly "black and white" mindset: GRRM submits work late, so he must have terrible work habits; some writers can do a book a year, so all ought to be able to do so ... Life is not this simple - how about shades of grey, nuance? We should criticise GRRM's way of working at our peril. He probably can't change it any more easily than he could change his eye colour or grow taller, and if he tried to change we might not see anymore books of this standard.

J Buckley.

The Winter Warriors
The Winter Warriors
by David Gemmell

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of atmosphere and depth, and very moving., 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Winter Warriors (Paperback)
Just occasionally some of the Drenai novels have aspects that I'm less keen on -- for example, sections in "the void" and swift resolutions brought about by sudden magic. And yet, sometimes Gemmell gets everything just right, and that's the case with Winter Warriors.

The lead characters are very human, and they have weaknesses (not least age), but they fascinating and thoughtful heroes who show how we can all choose to be better and do better. Then the whole atmosphere of the book is detailed and rich, with a sense of culture, history, and mythology.

Mainly this is a very touching heroic fantasy. You really feel the characters' regrets, loves, and loves lost. A book that moves your heart as much or more than your head, with less emphasis on blood and hacking than many other Drenai books.

Just perfect.

Century Rain (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Century Rain (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars One half builds tension, with depth of character and description, while the other half is superficial, 15 Sept. 2010
Well, before reading CR I glanced at some of the reviews on Amazon, including those that are non-complimentary. A few chapters in and I couldn't understand how anyone could write a bad review. I was loving it. There was tension, intrigue, depth of description, and real charm. I breathed a sigh of relief and made a mental note not to doubt Alastair Reynolds in future. After all, he had never let me down before, and I rate all his Revelation Space books very highly indeed.

Then not long past the halfway point of CR something strange happened. Suddenly the novel became a superficial description of action and other events. "And this happened, and that happened, et cetera..."

By the same author I recommend Chasm City, a masterpiece. The Revelation Space trilogy is very solid, even if the final instalment shows a decline. I very much enjoyed The Prefect. Sadly, however, there isn't much outside the Revelation Space universe to the same standard (although House of Suns is a tremendous pleasure)

Broken Angels (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Broken Angels (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard K. Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars I have to agree with the more scathing reviews, 2 May 2010
I have scanned through the previous reviews of Broken Angels, and I have to side with the dissatisfied minority.

I enjoyed Altered Carbon, with its tight noir plot and atmospheric San Francisco setting. I was anxious to follow up with Broken Angels straight away, to see what would happen to Kovacs.

Unfortunately I found Broken Angels slow (the first half of the book sets the scene, but could've been summarised in a chapter) and too descriptive. The characters are one-dimensional, and unlikable, and as such hard to care about. The plot never picks up momentum. Then there is the absence of any interesting antagonist. I wanted someone I could 'love to hate', but nothing.

I can recommend Altered Carbon, but I'd advise others to stop there.

Absolution Gap
Absolution Gap
by Alastair Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Criticisms of the ending are too harsh, 3 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Absolution Gap (Paperback)
All three of Reynolds' Revelation Space trilogy (Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, and Absolution Gap) require some work on the part of the reader at times. More so than his later novels, such as The Prefect or House of Suns. In the Revelation Space trilogy the different plot strands take time to come together, and occasionally the science-laden sections need to be read through twice before they make much sense. But the payoff is so well worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this final instalment of the trilogy, and particularly the last third of this book was a huge pleasure. The characters of Rashmika and Scorpio, for example, shine towards the end.

The negative comments about the ending of the book are way too harsh in my view. In fact the ending is very logical, given a little pause for thought, and it places the story as a whole in a wider context.

I'd say that I enjoyed the second book, Redemption Ark, the most. But all three books in the trilogy, including Absolution Gap, are very strong indeed.

Start with The Prefect or House of Suns if you're new to reading, or new to sci-fi, but otherwise don't hesitate to embark on the Revelation Space trilogy.

Fat Chance
Fat Chance
Offered by neon lizzard cd's

5.0 out of 5 stars Amongst Heaton's best work, and I cannot understand poor reviews., 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Fat Chance (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of The Beautiful South, but when I took a look at Fat Chance on Amazon I noticed it's average review rating was 3.5. I hesitated and decided not to buy it. In fact I bought Heaton's later album, The Cross Eyed Rambler, instead of Fat Chance.

Well, I actually found The Cross Eyed Rambler reasonable, but short of The Beautiful South stuff. And then I got around to buying Fat Chance, and I found it to be an amazing album. It ranks amongst the best Beautiful South music in my view, and it is certainly superior to The Cross Eyed Rambler.

So, I just cannot understand why there are at least two poor reviews of Fat Chance here. In my view it is well worth 5 stars.

I will not say that the album is shockingly marketable or catchy. But every track is a simple joy, and the lyrics are very thought provoking and also contentious.

An amazing achievement, and I hope Heaton can return to creativity on this level in the future.

Sennheiser PX10 Vertical In Ear Headphones
Sennheiser PX10 Vertical In Ear Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing depth for small light headphones, 9 Aug. 2007
Briefly, for years I have been using this style of headphone, but another brand. The design is brilliant for use while active (I run with my ipod). However, I have been amazed by the difference between sennheiser and my previous brand. Amazing depth and bass for such small and light headhones. The quality is not far off much larger and heavier headphones, which are (of course) not suited for active use.

VARIOUS / TOKYO DISCO
VARIOUS / TOKYO DISCO
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars This has really grown on me., 18 May 2006
This review is from: VARIOUS / TOKYO DISCO (Audio CD)
First I have to admit that I LOVE Tokyo Project, The Collection. Some of the tracks aren't new on The Collection, but is the very best mix of the very best tracks I know (Doctor Pressure, Nasty Girl, Can't Fake It, etc.). Perfection.

For me Tokyo Disco didn't have the same instant gratification, or the perfect mix of (often familiar) stuff. I found I could get into the 'harder'/louder third cd very quickly, but cds one and two took a few listens. It is worth it though. There are some really special but more subtle tracks here (Rise, Borderline, Something to make you feel alright) as well as the awesome loud stuff (SOS, The Master, Hold Your Head Up Hight, etc.).

Mark Doyle definately has it, although I fear a lot of the criticism placed on Hed Kendi since he left has been very bitter and biased. Nu Cool, for example, has some amazing gems tucked away if you give it some time.

Page: 1 | 2