Profile for boolou > Reviews

Content by boolou

boolou

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it really is life-changing!, 24 April 2014
Firstly, if you're wondering whether to buy this book - BUY IT - let's get that out in the open right at the beginning! I bought it and read it within 48 hours and I've been to the tip twice since then (2 days ago). If ever there was a persuasive argument to make you de-clutter, this is it. I love that Marie Kondo is not afraid to admit that she spent her entire childhood tidying up - quite funny, but as an adult I reckon I've done the same! I must have spent years of time and money shuffling my belongings around the house, each time thinking I've got the perfect storage solution. After reading this book, I subjected each and every item to the "does it bring me joy" test and boy, what a shocker. The answer so far is 80% NO! Which means I've wasted all this time on stuff I don't even like!

After Marie goes through the actual de-cluttering process, the rest of the book is a fascinating summary of what happens next, which is where the life-changing bit comes in. Sounds a bit far fetched, but for me, just at the beginning of the process, I definitely feel like a burden is lifting. I feel I can breathe again - the rooms have space to breathe too and I am surrounded only by things that bring me joy! No more crap!!

It's all a bit of a revelation really - and definitely a journey worth taking. My mind is already beginning to buzz with ideas about what I can now do with my time ... instead of spending it tidying up!

Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids
by Kim John Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all parents, 21 Oct. 2011
You know how they say babies don't come with a manual? Well, from now on, this book should be given out to all parents in the Delivery suite. Quite simply - it's brilliant. Forget hundreds of toys, the need to constantly amuse your kids and keep them entertained, forget the idea of shuffling them through their busy after-school schedules and forget even the idea of 'educational' toys and books - most of all, forget telly. If you can give your kids time, space, calm, a few basic things they can play with that engage their imagination (e.g. paper and pencils), a good home routine (which creates stability), inclusion in everyday tasks (e.g. setting the table) and a few family board games then you've cracked it. This book gets you back to basics. Kim John Payne writes brilliantly and illustrates his point with real-life stories from his 20 year practise in the field, and as a parent, the love for his kids is apparent. Look no further than this book if you want to raise ... well, exactly what it says on the cover!