Profile for hfffoman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 594

hfffoman (Kent)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kent's Kitchen Thai Green Curry Meal Kit 65 g (Pack of 1, Total 4 Kits)
Kent's Kitchen Thai Green Curry Meal Kit 65 g (Pack of 1, Total 4 Kits)
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This will never take off, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comprises three little pots of ingredients. You still have to buy coconut milk and the main ingredient. You still have to do the full preparation and cooking. Nor does it save you thinking, planning and shopping for ingredients.

Compared with buying a jar of curry paste, I don't see the advantage of this. It tastes no better, it is no easier to cook, and it is more expensive.

I am sorry for Kent Kitchens because it is a brave try but I don't think it will ever take off.

Round Cord Waxed 3/4mm Hiking Walking Work Boot Laces
Round Cord Waxed 3/4mm Hiking Walking Work Boot Laces
Offered by TZ Laces ltd
Price: 2.49 - 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a solution to finding the right laces, 30 Aug 2014
I wasted ages looking in shops for the replacement laces I needed. Foolishly I thought Clarks, who sold me shoes requiring very specific laces, would stock them. This is exactly what I wanted. The information was clear making it easy to get the right type, size and colour. I will always buy laces online in future.

The Player Of Games (The Culture)
The Player Of Games (The Culture)
by Iain M. Banks
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable science fiction, 30 Aug 2014
If the name doesn't give you enough of a hint, you will know right at the beginning, because the author tells you, that this is the story of a game that takes on significance of astronomical proportions. It was obvious that this significance would be revealed at the end and it would be something clever and surprising. The question I was wondering throughout the book was whether it would be genuinely clever and convincing or just a corny device. I won't give more away.

I enjoyed the book. It is entertaining throughout and an interesting exploration of technology and psychology and the link between the two - in other words good science fiction.

Empire Falls
Empire Falls
by Richard Russo
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight from beginning to end, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Empire Falls (Paperback)
This is my third Richard Russo novel and all three have been a delight from beginning to end. I was sorry when I finished it and had to stop. If you have read it and feel the same way, I recommend Risk Pool and The Straight Man, both in a similar style to this.

I won't give away anything about the story. It is a vast portrait of humanity in colours that are both serious and funny. It is mildly comedic, which I don't usually like, but this is different from most funny books. The funny things are funny because they are so real, and if you took away the funny side you would still have a moving drama full of sadness.

I notice with Richard Russo that about once a page, maybe more, I encounter a sentence that is so perfect it makes me smile, usually an observation that is accurate, witty and beautifully phrased. Enjoy.

Brabantia 50 Litre Laundry Bin with White Body/ Plastic Lid and Removable Black/ Grey Laundry Bag
Price: 72.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but the design is exactly right, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is expensive but just right. It looks nice. The lid is plastic but doesn't feel cheap. It has a hole to put the laundry in which is great for lazy people who tend to throw dirty washing on top of the laundry basket instead of putting it in, or put it in but don't put the lid back on properly. Even for people who don't do those things, the hole is quick and convenient.

The best thing is the bag. I am used to a wicker basket which was awkward to carry downstairs. Carrying a bag of laundry is so much better, and the bag is neatly attached with velcro. You can take it off and put it back with no fiddling. This is really good design. If only emptying my dustbin was that easy.

Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold
Nocs NS500 Aluminum Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Gold
Price: 59.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and good sound - not just for Apple products, 24 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this is presented as for Apple products it works on other types of phone and MP3 players except that the volume buttons on the earphone cable do not work. However, the middle button for pausing and unpausing does work - a really useful feature.

It is nicely designed with ribbon cable and a quality look about the plugs themselves. The question is whether you get better sound to justify the price. I did some careful comparing with the plugs that came with my phone (a high end Samsung Galaxy Note 3), listening to the same music and swapping every few seconds. I did notice the sound quality of these were better, although I had always found the ones that came with phone perfectly good enough.

Then I tested them against the earphones that came with my old MP3 Player, a Samsung YP-U6. To my amazement, the old MP3 player phones sounded clearly better than either. This uses the open style of earpiece, which has a bigger speaker and maybe that's why it gave a more resonant sound.

One other thing to remember when choosing earphones is how they feel in your ears. Some people don't like this style, with the rubber plus that goes in your ear. Personally I find it more comfortable than the open type. I compared the plugs of this and my phone by putting one of each type into one ear. Although they look the same, this one definitely felt more comfortable.

So overall, this is a good products and I give it 5 stars though I do have reservations about whether it is worth paying so much for it.

Samsung YP-F3 2GB Sports Clipper MP3 Player - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sound quality, 24 Aug 2014
I am so sorry this has been discontinued. I have just been reviewing a top of the range earphone set and compared it with my old Y6 and with the sound quality I get from my top of the range Galaxy note 3 phone. It seems nothing comes near to the sound quality of the Y6. 5 stars+

Belkin Fusive Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System with Handsfree Calling Microphone - Silver/Black
Price: 110.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A good balance of style, sound and price, 24 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my fourth bluetooth speaker unit. I also have a JAM, Dynamix Atom and an expensive Sony. They range a lot in price and quality but overall I think they are all good products. The more expensive are more powerful and sound better but the difference in sound isn't enormous so I would recommend going with what suits your budget and it will probably serve you ok. The one reservation is if you want it for party music there is a limit to how much sound you can get out of a batter. This one is capable of the most power of all of them but the quality isn't so good at high volume.

Sound quality: I used it for watching a film with a big screen and projector and it was loud enough and the quality felt good so it's a good alternative to expensive home cinema equipment. But make sure you recharge after each film. The next film I tried to watch, there wasn't enough battery. For listening to music I found the Sony has a slightly better sound quality (I was testing on classical music and got someone else to compare them on popular music).

Design: It is smart with a slightly retro look that I guess some people will like and others may not like. It is silver and black and reminds me of old radios except it doesn't look cheap. I like the way the handle rotates so that at 180 degrees it is a handle, at 45-90 degrees is is a stand for propping up the speaker, and 0 degrees it disappears to minimise the storage size. If you want a really smart speaker, and don't mind paying more, the Sony is really nice looking.

Practical points: bluetooth pairing, in case you haven't done it before, takes about 1 second and most devices will remember it and pair automatically next time. It has an aux input in case you prefer to use a wire or want to play music from a Nitendo 3DS or the like. Also you can play while charging, unlike some batter powered speakers.

Cafe Pod Nespresso Compatible Intense x(Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
Cafe Pod Nespresso Compatible Intense x(Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to Nespresso capsules, though I slightly prefer Carte Noir, 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a good alternative to Nespresso own brand capsules. They fit and work perfectly in the Nespresso machine and have a good aroma and taste. I have tried four alternatives and my order of preference is 1. Carte Noire, 2 Cafe Pod, 3 Fine Coffee Club / Cafe Tutto. I like Carte Noir's 1-9 strength rating and it is slightly less bitter than Cafe Pod.

CafePod Nespresso Compatible Arabica Colombia (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
CafePod Nespresso Compatible Arabica Colombia (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
Price: 6.99