Profile for hfffoman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 240

hfffoman (Kent)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[With HDMI Cable] VicTsing Quad Core Android 4.4.4 Smart TV Box XBMC Media Player Full HD 1080P WIFI HDMI Netflix XBMC, YOUTUBE, Netflix, QQ, SKYPE, GAMES
Offered by VICTECH

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful in some circumstances, 14 Feb. 2016
This box has a lot of capability and produces good quality AV but there are some drawbacks. It offers two methods of delivery - streaming using a streaming service and downloading from the internet. Anticipating many peoples' downloading style, it comes with torrent software already installed.

I don't recommend it for downloading. There isn't enough memory onboard the box so you have to plug in an external memory source. Unfortunately the interface is very awkward to use so you need to plug in a mouse and keyboard. But there are only 2 USB slots so you will have to unplug one in order to use external memory. It is simply easier to download it elsewhere and then plug it in to a bluray player. If this is your only player, it will still be easier to download elsewhere and then plug in the memory, which largely defeats the purpose of the box.

I would recommend it for streaming in some circumstances. In my case, my bluray player offers youtube and netflix and several other services but doesn't give complete flexibility and turns out to be very awkward for Amazon video streaming. This box overcomes that problem. Its main advantage is that you can browse the web to use any source of video you like.

Setting it up isn't difficult. My AV system isn't very good and can be awkward but it worked fine by plugging the HDMI into my projector and the sound into the mp3 input of a speaker. I used a LAN cable plugged into a mains adapter, but you can use wifi if you don't want to do that.

One final niggle - the power cable is very short and caused a headache with locating the box.

I was given this product free for review. For buyers concerned about "freebie reviews", I am absolutely determined to provide accurate objective advice and never review a product more favourably than it deserves. There are many instances where I have pointed out important problems with products which others rated with 5 stars.

USB Charger Orico® 40W Multi USB Mains Charger with 5 x 2.4A High Power USB Ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Goole Nexus, Sony, HTC, Nokia, Blackberry, LG, and other USB-Powered Devices - White
Offered by EASYLINK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, both for home and travelling, 11 Feb. 2016
These devices are now commonplace so I won't give it marks for being convenient, useful and working well (though it is all these things). I do give it marks for its size. It is smaller and lighter than most similar products. That could mean that it won't last as long but as new it certainly works fine (if it doesn't last I will update the review).

I particularly like the feature where it recognizes a low voltage source and adapts. Some chargers don't work properly when you travel. This, plus the size, makes it ideal for travelling.

If you are wondering how many ports to get, get more than you think you need. I started out thinking I wouldn't need many. I soon rached a stage where I had an 8-port charger with all the slots being used at the same time. Now I find it more convenient to keep several in different rooms with a few ports each.

Compact Umbrella for UK Weather. Auto open/close Folding Umbrella. High Quality Water Repellent with Stylish Hook or Straight Handle | Gentlemen & Ladies (Curved Handle)
Offered by JetSetGo!

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate umbrella, 11 Feb. 2016
This is undoubtedly a very high quality umbrella. This type of design - compact, strong, and both opening and closing automatically with a button press - is becoming well established. I have reviewed several brands and been impressed with all of them. The days of puny umbrellas which easily break and fold inside out in a moderate wind are over. This one is as good as any I have seen and has a couple of points to its advantage. The handle is high quality, unlike some brands. And the price is good. They typically cost £15 - £20. In my view it definitely deserves 5 stars.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC CD)
Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC CD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, 9 Feb. 2016
The truck driving is very well done. The visuals and the sounds are really impressive and make it surprisingly good fun.

I bought it because I liked the idea of building a corporate empire. Unfortunately the company management is utterly feeble. There is very little control over company decisions and little effort made to create a sense of the company. It is just a list of drivers, and destinations and they pile in the money. There is no incentive for efficient play - the easiest way to grow the company is to keep on going to sleep so time passes quickly and your drivers pile it in faster. Financial management is too easy and cuts off near the beginning of the game as they didn't bother to extend the maximum loans to keep up with the game. If they had included a fraction of the corporate management of Railroad Tycoon, it could have been a really good game.

One little niggle - I was playing on a PC without a controller. Steering with the mouse is very difficult because the mouse is too sensitive and it isn't possible to adjust it. If you change it in the system, the game seems to bypass the change. I still enjoyed clocking up quite a few hours with it, but once the company started taking off I got bored.

Science in Sport Whey 20 Strawberry - Pack of 12
Science in Sport Whey 20 Strawberry - Pack of 12

1.0 out of 5 stars Not palatable, 9 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Potentially this has an advantage over powdered protein supplements because it is so much more convenient. You can pop one in your bag and suck the contents out on the go. The nutrition is good too.

Unfortunately while I don't mind torturing myself in the gym, I don't like torturing my taste buds. The taste of artificial sweeteners is so strong and so revolting, I was unable to finish one tube. The rest will have to go in the bin. (If anyone out there wants to pick them up from Tunbridge Wells, they are welcome.)

Bracoo Reversible wrist Stabilizer
Bracoo Reversible wrist Stabilizer
Offered by Comfytopia

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate wrist support, 6 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Bracoo Reversible wrist Stabilizer
Once your wrist starts giving problems, it is really important to look after it as you will probably need incredibly finely controlled actions from it for many years and any RSI related problems can easily get progressively worse.

I have tried every different kind of wrist support I could find. They ranged from useless to effective. This is one of the best, if not the very best of them. It is well designed and well made. You can easily adjust the size with the velcro fastener. Do not expect miracles. It provides valuable support and enforces rest but is not a cure in itself. You probably need to retrain the way you use your wrist and you may need specialist advice and treatment. I eventually solved my problem with a cortisone injection, a year of rest (in my case from playing the piano) and ultimately by retraining.

Overall this is a clear 5 star product at a reasonable price.

[Valentine's Day Present] Mixcder TR007 Wireless Bluetooth CSR Stereo Audio Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 Bluetooth Adapter With 3.5mm Stereo Output for Speakers, Headphone, TV, PC, iPhone, iPod, MP3 , Car Stereo and More
Offered by Xfire-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there yet, 6 Feb. 2016
In principle, this is a great little device. I do all my listening now with bluetooth speakers, headphones and earphones and it is useful to be able to use them for sound from my computer. There are some issues to be aware of.

When you connect bluetooth with your phone you have the benefit of the phone's display so you can select a device for connection and disconnection. With this you are connecting two devices which don't have a screen. The first few times it works fine. But once you have more than one device paired, it sometimes gets awkward - not very awkward but enough that I just don't bother, and go back to using the speakers.

I found the volume level was weak and when I turned it up to create a reasonable sound there was obvious distortion. This must have been was caused by the transmitter as I it didn't happen when I played from the same source to wired speakers, or from a different source to the same bluetooth speakers.

The range is slightly disappointing. I compared it with my phone, using the same speakers in each case, and it was noticeably shorter.

This is the third model of this type of product that I have tried. They are all very similar and work moderately well without being fully convincing. Overall it feels like a product that has not yet come of age.

LEADO Makeup Brushes 23PCS Professional Cosmetics Makeup Brush Set with Make Up Brush Pouch
Offered by LEADO

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality brushes, 6 Feb. 2016
These are good quality brushes. They feel well made and unlikely to fall apart. The brushes feel very soft and pleasant on the skin. The case is a stylish linen-like material, only thicker than linen.

If you don't want so many, this alternative is similar in quality. The Luxebell brushes are also soft and pleasant feeling but, comparing them together, the Leado brushes are softer.

I tried to show the range of sizes in the photographs.

Bluetooth Speaker, Liger® BTS1000 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Speaker For 12+ Hrs Music Streaming & Hands-Free Calling W/ 6W + 6W 40Mm Driver Speakerphone, Built-In Mic, 3.5Mm Audio Port, Rechargeable Battery
Offered by ADM Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good 4-star bluetooth speaker, 6 Feb. 2016
I have tested well over a dozen similar products. This one is towards the better end of the range. I tested it on a range of classical music, which it reproduces faithfully enough that I can happily listen to it though the tone is a tiny bit dull. There is a slight hiss but less than some other speakers in the same price range.

Pairing is very simple (as with most similar products I have seen). It scores well in two simple tests: it automatically connects whenever you turn it in the presence of a paired device, and it plays happily while charging. Many similar speakers fail these tests.

The design is basic but it shows signs of being well made.

In my opinion this is a solid 4-star product. I give it an A for specification and functionality, B for design, B for sound quality
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2016 4:37 PM GMT

Running Waist Pack Belt for Men and Women - Fits Every Smartphone including iPhone 6 Plus & Android Smartphones
Offered by Sab Products EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, comfortable and functional, 6 Feb. 2016
This is useful as a running belt and a valuables pouch for holidays.

The phone compartment is large enough to most large phones. Mine is a Galaxy Note 3 (15cm x 7.8cm) and it fits with about half a cm to spare in the width and height. The main compartment is large enough to fit a passport but not big enough for a wallet. There are two small side pockets. One has a clip for keys, the other would be suitable for coins. The front is double zipped, which are always more convenient than single ones.

There is a metal reinforced hole in the phone pouch so you can plug in earphones. It only leads to the main compartment so you will still need to run the cable through a slight gap in the zip. If you aren't using bluetooth earphones yet, I recommend getting some.

I found it quite easy to use the touch screen on my phone by pressing on the plastic front of the pouch. That is brilliantly convenient. Even if your earphones don't have phone answering buttons, you can answer phone calls without taking the phone out of the pouch.

It is made out of nylon that doesn't feel particularly nice. It is comfortable enough though, with a breathable padded inside layer. The strap length is easy to adjust. It fastens with a spring clip which takes a tough squeeze to release. The force required to squeeze it is much higher under tension, which means that if you put it on and don't have strong hands you might be unable to release it. Bear in mind it is behind your back.

This is a 4.5 star product in my opinion. I round up to 5 stars because it is much much better than other running belts I have seen.

Comment Comment | Permalink