Profile for hfffoman > Reviews

Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console - Aqua Blue
Offered by Blue Diamond's
Price: 199.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, 14 April 2014
Nintendo has produced a brilliant product highly prone to breaking. My family has had about four which broke owing to faults which are widely discussed on the internet. Nintendo's customer service doesn't even reply. I give it 3 stars because, as you can see, we kept going back and buying it again. Finally I bought one with the Curry's guarantee which covers any failure. I don't normally think extended guarantees are worth it but I this one would be and, sure enough, within a few months it broke and for once I didn't have to pay for a new one.

Exercises in Style (Alma Classics)
Exercises in Style (Alma Classics)
by Raymond Queneau
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly brilliant and not what I expected, 14 April 2014
99 different versions of the same trivial incident, each told in a different style. They average a couple of paragraphs but some are shorter and a few are more than a page.

The result is surprisingly interesting to read, though I suspect you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy it. (I warn you: I struggled all the way through Zazie dans let Metro in French, which includes compressed phrases devoid of vowels or spaces.)

It was different from what I expected. I expected him to take 99 different voices, each representing a different fictional personality of narrator or writer, and imagine how they would recount the incident. In fact it is not that. It is more an exploration of the range of written expression. Thus we have one full of onomatopoeia, one full of numbers, one full of colours, one full of exclamation marks, one full of "you know"s, one in anagrams, one with a lot of words ending in "ate" (congratulations to the translator for making that work), one in which all the statements are negative, one full of hyphenated words. He also explores different media - one is a play, one a civil servant's letter, one a cross examination - and some are complicated exercises largely uninteliigible.

I will let people better qualified than me comment on the intellectual feat, but I have the feeling it is a real tour de force.

StarTech.com 6 feet Slim 3.5mm Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M
StarTech.com 6 feet Slim 3.5mm Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M
Price: 3.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well though not very durable, 14 April 2014
I have had at least two of these suffer a broken connection inside the cable. I still recommend it. It does the job well. They don't cost much so I order several and I always have a spare.

The Amulet of Samarkand Graphic Novel (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
The Amulet of Samarkand Graphic Novel (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
by Andrew Donkin
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Average adaptation of an excellent novel, 14 April 2014
This is quite good but only really works because the novel on which it is based was so good. The adaptation itself is very average.

Mister Wonderful: A Love Story
Mister Wonderful: A Love Story
by Daniel Clowes
Price: 11.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not his best work, 14 April 2014
This is an amusing and slightly pathetic romantic comedy. I prefer it to Caricature but Ghost World and David Boring are better. The format is nice.

Caricature: Nine Stories
Caricature: Nine Stories
by Daniel Clowes
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 14 April 2014
If you like Daniel Clowes this is a must have but if not I wouldn't recommend it. It is not his best work. Check out David Boring and Ghost World, which is better.

Best of American Splendor
Best of American Splendor
by Harvey Pekar

4.0 out of 5 stars Darkly funny, 14 April 2014
If you don't know them, these are darkly funny slice-of-life adventures with a touch of autobiography. This is a collection of his 1980s work. It is good but doesn't include anything from the original American Splendour issues. Also check out the movie with the same name.

Outer dark [LegacyTitleID: 1944]
Outer dark [LegacyTitleID: 1944]

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleak and brilliant, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Outer dark [LegacyTitleID: 1944]
An extremely bleak story but so well written as to be entirely absorbing. The dialogue is so good I cannot think of any novelist who surpasses it. If you like audio books I particularly recommend Ed Sala's version of this - so gritty you feel you are right there among these wiry people, tough as worn out boots.

Herlitz max.file A4 8cm Motif Lever Arch File (3 Pieces)
Herlitz max.file A4 8cm Motif Lever Arch File (3 Pieces)
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant design and well made, 14 April 2014
The lever arch mechanism is the best I have seen. The file itself is reasonably sturdy though without the metal reinforced corners that some have. Be aware - it is quite a lot larger than an average A4 ring binder. Apart from the design these are identical to the Herlitz max files with fruit designs.

Herlitz 10507788 Motif Ring Binder A4 80 mm Wide Jelly Beans Multi-Coloured
Herlitz 10507788 Motif Ring Binder A4 80 mm Wide Jelly Beans Multi-Coloured
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant design and well made, 14 April 2014
The lever arch mechanism is the best I have seen. The folder itself is reasonably sturdy though without the metal reinforced corners that some have. Be aware - it is quite a lot larger than an average A4 ring binder.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30