Profile for A. Warren > Reviews

Content by A. Warren

A. Warren "firedancer" (Hampshire, UK)

Life After Wartime
Life After Wartime
Price: 0.93

5.0 out of 5 stars extra ordinary, 9 Nov 2013
The Quiet War and Gardens of the Sun changed the way I thought about the solar system and transformed the desolate lifeless moons of its planets into places of beauty where mankind could not only survive but thrive. Life After Wartime is a collection of stories that mainly take place after the events in those books, and are jewel-like short tales about the everyday lives of the (extra) ordinary people who live on that new frontier. His writing really brings out the human dimension of a future in which mankind is leaving the cradle of Earth. Highly recommended if you enjoyed his other work.

The Summer Isles
The Summer Isles
Price: 2.94

5.0 out of 5 stars an uncomfortable read, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Summer Isles (Kindle Edition)
But don't be misled by my review title, this book explores how easily Britain could be seduced by the siren song of fascism, and although set in an alternate world in which we lost the Great War, it carries an important warning for our current age. How easy it is for us to take small steps towards totalitarianism, our mute acceptance of a surveillance society, the security restrictions that follow on from a never ending War on Terror, and the shrill voice of the Daily Mail as it rails against the poor, the immigrants and anyone else who doesn't fit their dream of Middle England. Recommended.

KAVAJ leather case cover "Berlin" for the new Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2 cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature
Offered by KAVAJ
Price: 49.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 22 May 2012
The title says it all - this case looks and feels gorgeous. Slim, beautifully made, minimal... everything I was looking for in a case. A bit more than I'd planned to spend, but I really feel I've got my money's worth. The other reviews cover the technical side of the case, but I don't disagree with anything they've said.

Cressi Water Swimming Beach Shoes - Clear, UK 11
Cressi Water Swimming Beach Shoes - Clear, UK 11
Price: 13.30

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to swim in, 8 Aug 2010
I often swim in rivers and from pebbly beaches, and these shoes really help me get in and out comfortably and safely. Unlike the ones with fabric uppers, these don't seem to affect my swimming at all and I never feel that they are about to slip off. They also drain well and are easy to put on and take off when wet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 11:26 AM GMT

Michael Gandolfi: Garden of Cosmic Speculation
Michael Gandolfi: Garden of Cosmic Speculation
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Speculative Review?, 21 Sep 2009
I bought this CD because of my interest in Charles Jenck's astonishing 'Garden of Cosmic Speculation' - I saw the South Bank Show about the garden in 2005 and then bought the book last year. Some of the music from this CD was used in the programme.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about modern classical music to describe this work or compare it to the work of other composers - but I did find it playful, interesting, varied and intriguing. If you are interested in Charles Jenck's ideas, I suspect you won't be disappointed with Michael Gandolfi's composition. The work is split into three parts, each of which are inspired by various parts of the garden.

The CD includes comprehensive notes and is a fine recording - highly recommended.