Profile for the_head > Reviews

Content by the_head

the_head

Barmy British Empire (Horrible Histories)
Barmy British Empire (Horrible Histories)
by Terry Deary

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so much horrible as awful., 18 July 2011
As a big fan and enthusiastic childhood devourer of the HH series, I was deeply disappointed and a little disgusted by this one sided book. It paints a picture of pre-colonial world in which every country was a lovely little Liberal democracy (ruled by local people, not (say) the Mughal emperors, natch)until the nasty red-coats showed up and killed everyone. Noone's pretending that the Empire was all smiles and cuddly toys, but this book took the biscuit.

So nakedly political in its angle, so left-wing and so biased. Deary me.

365 Ways to Drive a Liberal Crazy
365 Ways to Drive a Liberal Crazy
by James Delingpole

2.0 out of 5 stars Silly. Very silly., 23 Feb. 2011
I am a Delingpole fan but was disappointed by this effort. A poorly printed edition, crass and simplistic humour and a general lack of readability.

If you want a Delingpole classic and a d----d good read, I suggest you try How to be Right.

Ayn Rand Set: The Fountainhead/Atlas Shrugged
Ayn Rand Set: The Fountainhead/Atlas Shrugged
by Ayn Rand

2.0 out of 5 stars Books, 23 Feb. 2011
A cheap way of procuring two average but essential works of literature.

I wasn't expecting wonders at that price but the editions are of very poor quality indeed - grey, recycled paper (very thin and difficult to read) and flimsy binding are the order here. If you just want to read the books, then buy away. If you want to add them to your library, then I suggest you spend an extra £5 on a better edition.

Bonded Black Leather Valet Gents Organiser Box
Bonded Black Leather Valet Gents Organiser Box

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 23 Feb. 2011
This product is reasonably priced, practical and looks ok. I can fit all of my pocket stuff in it - the cufflink compartments are particularly useful. If you possess a thick wallet, however, I would choose a different box as there is not enough "headroom" in this box for a chunky one. It arrived promptly and was well packaged.

However, the term "bonded leather" should not be used as this is NOT LEATHER - it is an artificial fabric with some leather fibres included. I would suggest that the seller avoid this description.

The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
by Douglas Carswell

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written, structured eye-opener, 23 Feb. 2011
I must declare interests - I am something of an admirer of Daniel Hannan; I am very anti-EU; I am a hardline, small government, low-tax, libertarian Tory. I therefore couldn't help but enjoy this book.

However, it was a wholly different sort of enjoyment from my enjoyment of, say, Hitchens, Sowell or Hayek - this book is not an ideological tract. It is a simple plan to solve the malaise at the heart of British politics and wider life. It identifies the key problems with our country and suggests means to solve them. Simples.

Some will not even get past the first page without spitting feathers of self-rightous leftie rage as their fetishisation of the NHS, a centrally planned Stalinist economy and the welfare system is absolute (but, as Hannan once said, theirs is the wrath of Caliban). Those of us on the right, or those sort of in the middle who don't see the right as politically acceptable because they're in an Islington wine bar, would gain much from this book. Practical arguments, sounds reasoning and genuine political possibility are the key to this great read.