Profile for MJ King > Reviews

Content by MJ King

MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bose ® CineMate 15 Home Cinema Speaker System - Black
Bose ® CineMate 15 Home Cinema Speaker System - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can afford it, buy it!, 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are excellent, including the packaging. Box contains all the leads you could ever need. The user guide is clear and comprehensive and - surprising for this day and age - written in proper English!

Total set up time time? Under 15 minutes.

What's in the box? Sound bar, Acoustimas module (looks like a sub woofer) and the programmable remote. Plus optical cable, cooaxial cable and analog cable.

Sound quality? Now this is interesting. I initially tried it out on my TV. Cookery programme happend to be on and I wasn't knocked out by the sound. Changed channels to the first Disney Tarzan movie and immediately noticed the music.

Very clear and tuneful. The jazzy trumpet really sounded jazzy! And like a trumpet!

Found the system can do very loud easily, with no distortion. Bass is loud and not boomy.

Played a few DVDs and the music stood out fantastically! Dialogue very clear too. Background noise subtle but noticeable.

Note: I couldn't get sound from my Sony Blu Ray player at first. A quick check on the manual suggested a solution: use the optical connection for the satellite (or TV) and the analogue lead for the Blu Ray (I guess the reverse would work too - analogue to connect TV/satellite and optical to connect Blu Ray/DVD)

Still didn't work, so back to the manual! Turn off the satellite dish (ie the channels not the TV itself) and BINGO! Sound from my Blu Ray. Turn the Blu Ray off and the sound comes back for the TV. Simple if you read the manual. Or this review :-)

Been using it for a few days now, mostly with TV stuff - soaps, the news etc - and gradually noticed I was hearing much more than usual.

Even my wife noticed 😄

Diction is clearer, quiet moments easier to hear and more realistic. Louder moments have more impact.

Build quality is excellent and shouts "quality"

Use it every day now. Love it!

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble

3.0 out of 5 stars Good 2 in 1 Shaver and Stubble Trimmer, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Marketed for young men, aged 16-25, this is another typical Phillips product. Standard design, good build quality. Functionality at a fair price.

Nicely packaged and although to be honest, I'm not sure why this is sold to appeal to young men only it would make a nice gift, possibly for an 18th or 21st birthday.

It features 2 separate heads, one for your (young?) beard and one for (designer) stubble. Both fit well and are really easy to remove and clean.

A full charge takes about an hour and gives approximately 30 minutes of shaving.

The actual shave is good: smooth with no nicking and reasonably close. Its cquiet too, with a gripo that's easy to hold, helping you make precise cuts!

One thing to note: it is more of a trimmer than shaver and would struggle with a full beard.

Good product, good price, good buy :-)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product At a Fair Price, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions are very good: smartly boxed in bright colours that match the colours of the iron itself.

The build quality is good and the grip feels safe and secure: the heal is solid and well sized, meaning you can stand the iron upright, without worrying it will fall over.

Phillips claim it gives out a "continuous steam output of up to 35 g per minute". Not sure what that means but its pretty good at 'ironing out' creases, even stubbon dry ones, even on jeans.

It has a standard, good sized,ceramic soleplate, which glides easily across shirts, trousers etc. I tried it on cotton and wool and find the results to be very
good.

All in all its a typical Phillips product: well made, not very diferrent but does what it says on the tin. Worth a look :-)

Pyramid Repel 55 Insect/Mosquito Repellent Deet Spray - 120ml
Pyramid Repel 55 Insect/Mosquito Repellent Deet Spray - 120ml
Offered by GADGETS4TRAVEL

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm the kind of food that mosquitoes and inspects of all kinds seem to love to eat, 13 July 2014
Used for 5 days in Spain recently and didn't get bitten once!

I'm the kind of food that mosquitoes and inspects of all kinds seem to love to eat! I cannot walk thru fields or long grass in the UK without something biting me :-)

The temperature over the period I used the spray varied from 78F to 93F, so was pretty hot.

I should say there was no rain during this period at all and that is often the time I find the worst for bites.

I sprayed my legs - back and front - above my socks and my arms - again, front and back - below my T-shirt sleeves - which are the areas I usually get bitten.

Reapplied after each swim and had no bites whatsoever!

Didn't do any obvious damage to my socks of shirts but I also sprayed an old pair of sandals and it did seem to damage the lining a little.

For me, that was a very small price to pay to be bite free for a week!

Looking forward to using the spray over a longer period.

Expect it to work & the rating go to 5 stars :-)

Sealskinz Men's Thermal Liners Gloves - Black, One Size
Sealskinz Men's Thermal Liners Gloves - Black, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful and well made, 13 July 2014
I bought these for my Mom, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis in her fingers, and my wife who always has cold hands.

They both report the same things: quite well made, reasonable fit and do warm the hands.

My wife found they worked best when used under another pair of gloves; worn on their own they are not waterproof. They do seem to help retain warmth and she does use them.

My Mom wears them in the house, without any other gloves on. They are thin enough to allow her to do things such as operate the TV remote but she struggles to use them with her smart phone - the material is too thick.

But they do warm her fingers, which certainly eases the arthritis so she'd recommend them.

I'd say give them a try and would have given them 4 stars but they are quite expensive ....

First World War For Dummies (For Dummies (History, Biography & Politics)
First World War For Dummies (For Dummies (History, Biography & Politics)
by Seán Lang

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to WW1 and more ...., 13 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
... the usual Dummies format, provides a great introduction to The Great War and then some.

My son is currently studying WW1 and 'A' Level and he devoured this book! Was full of praise for the logical way it was laid out, wasn't able to spot any mistakes. He used it to research specific areas of the War and also to help him produce a chronological timeline.

I found the book to be really well researched, written & laid out, with pictures, graphics & highlighted quotes, all creating the usual Dummy easy on the eye effect.

The style was interesting - a little like a series of newspaper headlines followed up with more in depth articles. The authors pretty much assumed no prior knowledge of the War on the part of the reader. To aid such readers, significant points, quotes, terms etc were explained in boxes, to the side of the narrative.

Despite its size (400 plus pages) the book obviously can't cover the whole War in any depth but - IMO - it covers all the main bases and offer a fair amount of more detail & analysis.

Meaning its very suitable to a wide range of readers, with different levels of existing knowledge, though it would seem to be primarily aimed at 'A' level students.

A really good buy; useful, accurate, easy to digest and all at affair price - recommended to anyone studying the subject or just interested in WW1.

A timely book too, with 2014 being exactly 100 years since the outbreak of the Great War.

D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings

4.0 out of 5 stars A New kind of string, a new kind of strong!, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, that's what D'Addario are claiming anyway :-)

First off, impressions are very good: the packaging is very smart looking & has an air of quality about them. Would make a very good impression if given as a gift.

My brother in law has been playing the electric guitar for about 3 years now and has lessons on a regular basis so I got him to test drive these for me.

His verdict was "very good; sound is bright and clear and they stay tuned for a good time" He's thrash metal fan so I'm guessing he's given these strings a real bashing!

When I told him the price his opinion on the quality didn't change but he didn't think they were very good value for money.

He currently uses Ernie Ball 2220 Nickel Wound strings, which apparently, sound as good and cost less than half the price. Brother in law changes his strings every 2-3 months so the cost difference is noticeable.

So I guess its down to personal preferences and if value for money matters to you.

As I said at the start, make a good gift for someone ....

Vax Genuine New Type 2 Pro Cleaning Kit, Grey
Vax Genuine New Type 2 Pro Cleaning Kit, Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made tools suitable for various VAX products, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice products - add a star depending on how many you will actually use :-)

I ordered these without realising they were specific to the Vax brand. Having got them I discovered most but not all fit our Dyson.

Let me know if you have a Dyson & want to know which tools fit.

Anyway, onto the tools themselves. They are neatly packed in a box with carry handle and include a pvc/plastic bag to store them in.

Each one seems well made and are pleasant to look at and handle.

Based on using on my Dyson I'd expect them to fit perfectly with a VAX machine.

The radiator brush fits our Dyson tightly and works well. Useful too! Same for the Up Top tool.

Neither of the 2 adapters supplied fit our Dyson.

The soft dusting brush does fit and is a bit softer than our Dyson equivalent.

Well made set of tools at a fair price. Worth buying depending on how many you'd use!

Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 60 Tablets )
Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 60 Tablets )
Offered by O.P Healthcare

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are dishwasher tablets and the clean dishes!

The packaging is clean and simple and each 'powerball' comes wrapped in its own seal. No need to remove that just drop it in the slot and away you go!

Work very well on a variety of cups, glasses, dishes, plates and pots. Haven't used them for long enough yet to know if they stain glasses but no streaks yet. And no leakage into the dishwasher either.

Pretty good on heavily stained dishes though we tend to remove excess food from our plates etc before putting in the washer. Work well with pots and pans, which tend to be stained a little more.

Price (considering the number of tablets provided) and performance on a par with the Finish liquid we normally use, with a pleasant smell.

Worth considering.

Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set
Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, really useful, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea is you can start something off on the hob, remove the handle if one used and place straight in the oven. Once the food is ready move the pot to the table. Any left overs can be put straight in the fridge. One pot used rather than three!

Great idea - space saving too and made to the standard you'd expect from Tefal. Solid without being too heavy.

Perhaps a little expensive but on the other hand, this set provides everything a small family could need. And the quality is high too.

Its a space saver too! Make the pots smaller by having detachable handles (2 supplied). These fit easily & securely with just a couple of clicks so you shouldn't have any worries when cooking hot food with them.

They come with glass tops so you can see easily what's cooking & how its doing!

They clean easily enough, whether by hand or in the dishwasher with their non stick coating working very well so far.

Simple & a great idea that's been very well executed.

Recommended.