Profile for Mike J King > Reviews

Content by Mike J King

Mike J King "MJK" (Birmingham, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Golf Rules Illustrated: 2016-2017 (Royal & Ancient)
Golf Rules Illustrated: 2016-2017 (Royal & Ancient)
by R&A Championships Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars I used to love playing golf but strictly as an 'enthusiastic amateur' and ..., 23 Jan. 2016
Golf? Ah yes, I remember it well from my pre marriage days 😊

Seriously, I used to love playing golf but strictly as an 'enthusiastic amateur' and TBH I'm not an expert on the rules!

But the book is great! High quality paper, attractive layout and good use of photos creates a good impression.

The text keeps those up: rules can be a dull thing to read about but this is good. I think it's the clear, uncluttered layout and clever use of stories to spice it up that makes this so readable.

And - of course - educational. Not a book to take out on the course with your clubs but one to read in the clubhouse after a 2 under par 😃

100% recommended!!

Polti Unico MCV50 Allergy Multifloor Vacuum with Steam Cleaner
Polti Unico MCV50 Allergy Multifloor Vacuum with Steam Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars High Cost For Average Results, 11 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very difficult product to review as I've only used it twice but that tells it's own story. Hard to put together - both as in its quite hard to follow the poorly written instructions - and as in the pieces are tough to slot together.

Out of the box its quite a bit bigger than I was expecting though it's as well made as you'd expect for the price!

I've used it as a vacuum cleaner on my Brinton carpets and as a steam cleaner cum mop on my wood floors.

Pick up on the carpets was good, including the small hairs my Westie leaves behind - about the same as my Dyson. The dual cables and overall weight did make cleaning the stairs difficult though there is a small head supplied.

As a steamer on my hard wood floors it worked quite well though did run out of steam quite soon! I tend to agree with the viewer who worried about excess water as this was apparent on my floors too.

Changing functions was quite straight forward but a bit tiring and I think that is the problem I have with the MCV50: its had work all round - to assemble, to move around and to store away when not in use.

Probably not a problem IF the results were stunning or the price much lower!

As it is, it offers several cleaning functions, most of which work OK but at a very high cost. My wife commented it seems more suited a hotel or large bording house where you paid someone else to use it than your own house ☺

Better value for money if you would make regular use of mosts of its functions ....

Definitely one to "Try Before You Buy" and where the price must "Be Right" before you buy ☺

Update: so my wife has now used this twice on our upstairs bedtoom carpets as a straightforward 'Hoover'. She thinks it picks up dirt pretty well but is cumbersome to use. And heavy. Jury still out....

Vector Contemporary Meridian Standard fit Smartwatch with Steel Silver Case, Black Leather Strap and 22mm Standard Buckle

3.0 out of 5 stars Try before you buy!, 4 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Been using this smartwatch for a few weeks now, with mixed views.

First the build quality is excellent and the watch looks smart, well made and quite expensive. Nice leather strap and well rounded edges. Packaging looks good too though a little hard to open. Sadly, the gold coloured coin like knob, used to tie up the packaging fell off the box within minutes of opening it. Doesn't fit back securely so not good.

Download the app (from Google Play - I'm pairing with an Android mobile - HTC M8 - though it will work with Apple or Windows mobiles too) and it immediately prompts you to upgrade the software. You need a Vector account but that's easy to get but unfortunately the download took 5 goes before it was successful. The last one causing the watch to freeze for several minutes.

Once the app did download it was easy enough to use, partly because there ain't much there ! A few different watch faces and about 5 bog standard apps (weather, steps walked etc) all created by Vector.

In use the watch loses the link with the phone fairly regularly - not too often (& it may be my mobile) but more often than you'd like. Reestablishing the Bluetooth connection can sometimes be tricky too.

The display is very small and dark though this does conserve battery life. A press on 1 of the 3 buttons lightens the watch face but only for a few seconds.

Data feeds (from various sources - see below) can be slow to appear and when they do are very condensed. Phone notifications - calls & texts - do come thru very quickly though.

The data is presented so poorly, I quickly turned off all notifications but e- Mail and the phone ones. Even this isn't great as the watch only displays 1 line of the E - Mail and you cannot scroll to see more. Only option is to reach for your mobile - making the smart aspect of the watch anything but !!

So far so bad - but ...... I really do like this watch! It looks good and offers comprehensive links to your e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, the Daily Mail on line (!) as well as You Tube and LinkedIn. ( but please see my comments above!)

The battery life really does look as though it will live up to the claimed 30 days, the display is always on and its quite small (not as slim as the Apple watch) and pretty light. The leather strap is OK quality too.

My advice is have a look: you might well like it!

Assuming you need a smartwatch ....but that's another question altogether!!

Buzz Bee Toys Ultra Master Tek Blaster
Buzz Bee Toys Ultra Master Tek Blaster

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy and great fun!, 31 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this for my son and he loves it! He's almost 19 and a student - say no more!

Apparently he and his Uni friends have a number of similar guns, which are all helping them hugely with their studies!

This one is made from good quality plastic and generally works well: the 'bullets' are a little soft and do occasionally stick in the chamber.

Colours aside, this looks quite like a real gun. The telescopic lens really does work quite well, though accuracy lessens over distance.

The size is OK - not too bulky and its very easy to assemble and is quite well made, so should prove durable.

One thing to note is the pellets do hurt! I know that because my son 'accidentally' hit me on the head at very short range ' It did hurt for quite a few minutes!

Father - son issues aside, this is a good buy for the money and great fun!

KLEVV Fit Faker Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KM3F4GX2C-1600-09-09-09-24-S Unbuffered with Heat Spreader

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, easy to install. A very happy customer!, 6 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The memory arrived quickly and was packaged very well.

I clipped out the old memory and installed the new memory. No special tools are needed just a screw driver to open the computer's back.

You may need to remove your computer's existing RAM: this is easily done by releasing the clips that hold it in.

This was a simple process and the new memory slotted in very easly. I turned on the machine and checked the memory settings, which now show the new 8gb of memory.

Windows opens up quicker, moving between apps is quicker so pleased with it so far.

Fair price too.

Couple of things to note: not all RAM is the same and some may not work with your PC.

Check what type of RAM your computers motherboard supports (consult your manual or check on line)

Also, check if your motherboard has any slots free to fit additional memory and check whats there already is the same speed as the new memory. Otherwise the PC will only use the lowest speed RAM.

This RAM requires 64 bit Windows.

Santa Sleigh taking off Traditional German Advent Calendar Cards Coppenrath 16.5 x 11 cm with gold embossed envelope
Offered by Delicious Designs

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice. Bright, 3 Dec. 2015
Nice. Bright. Traditional Christmas images from when I was a kid in the 60s. Good quality. Windows a little small.

James Tyler Men's Cotton Chino Shorts, short trousers, beige, size W38
James Tyler Men's Cotton Chino Shorts, short trousers, beige, size W38

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard Chino With Button Fly, 2 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Standard chinos. Fair quality cotton, nicely lined and well made. Out of the packaging they look a little long but fine once worn.

Good fit, accurate size and comfortable to wear.Well finished stitching helps create an air of quality.

Fair price for the quality too.

One thing to note is they have a button fly - no zip.

Personally I don't see the point in this! Too fidly to undo especially if you need to do so in a hurry! Means I'll likely never wear them but obviously that's a personal choice.

One other thing is the washed out look makes these a casual not smart chino. Not a bad thing but worth knowing.

Buttons aside, this is a nice pair of shorts.

L'Oreal for Men Comfort Max 50ml
L'Oreal for Men Comfort Max 50ml
Offered by GroomU

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product at a good price!, 27 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are lots of mens facial cleansers, shaving balms & moisturisers around these days and gone are the days when men didn't admit to using them!

How to make your products standout? Well, L'Oreal's answers seems to be to have loads of them! I've used a few lately and the USP (unique selling point) here is its targeted at dry skin.

The advertising blub talks about the cold winter air outside and dry central heating air inside. As my wife has had our central heating on since early October, I was keen to try this 😀

And I must say I like it - goes on easily and spreads thinly meaning a lot goes a long way. The now typical pump action dispenser means its easy to apply just a small amount.

There's a slight lemony scent too that's pleasant and not overpowering but does it work? Yes. My skin feels less dry, the cream doesn't irritate and the 'stretched' skin areas seem reduced.

A good price too so well worth a try!

TP-LINK TL-PA4016P KIT AV500 Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit - Twin Pack (No Configuration Required)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! Easy way to extend your wireless network!, 23 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Arrived yesterday afternoon - Sunday delivery! Well done Amazon!

I've used powerlines before so I was already aware of how they work and had this set up and running in under 5 minutes.

They work by using your existing electrical wiring to extend the throw of your wireless router and are typically used when thick walls or distance from the router make wireless connecting difficult or impossible.

Set up is simple: connect one adapter to your router using the supplied RJ 45 phone cable. Plug second one into a standard electrical plug near the item you want internet on, again using the supplied cable.

Press the pair button and your secure network is ready to go!

I use mine to connect to my SKY digibox to use SKY + and SKY Go, because I don't have a wireless digibox and my router is in another room so can't make a physical connection.

Build quality is fine, instructions clear enough price OK and so far the signal is strong and stable and everything is looking good!

4 stars so far but will check back after a few more days of use.

L'Oreal Men Expert Vitalift 5 Moisturiser - 50 ml
L'Oreal Men Expert Vitalift 5 Moisturiser - 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A Winner in the GQ Grooming Awards 2016, 15 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Best New Anti-Ageing Product in this year's GQ awards. I've been using this for a few weeks now and really like it!

Goes on very easily, penetrates well, so a little goes a long way. Pleasant smell too, which doesn't linger that long either.

My skin feels less dry and taut after use: well moisturised for quite a while though it's hard to be more specific. I use it after washing my face 1st thing in the morning and - when I remember - last thing at night.

Too early to say if I look any younger yet but a genuinely ' feel good' product that I will continue to use once this bottle is finished!

Recommended 😀