Profile for MJ King > Reviews

Content by MJ King

MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pyramid Repel 55 Insect/Mosquito Repellent Deet Spray - 120ml
Pyramid Repel 55 Insect/Mosquito Repellent Deet Spray - 120ml
Offered by General Stores Online

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm the kind of food that mosquitoes and inspects of all kinds seem to love to eat, 13 July 2014
Used for 5 days in Spain recently and didn't get bitten once!

I'm the kind of food that mosquitoes and inspects of all kinds seem to love to eat! I cannot walk thru fields or long grass in the UK without something biting me :-)

The temperature over the period I used the spray varied from 78F to 93F, so was pretty hot.

I should say there was no rain during this period at all and that is often the time I find the worst for bites.

I sprayed my legs - back and front - above my socks and my arms - again, front and back - below my T-shirt sleeves - which are the areas I usually get bitten.

Reapplied after each swim and had no bites whatsoever!

Didn't do any obvious damage to my socks of shirts but I also sprayed an old pair of sandals and it did seem to damage the lining a little.

For me, that was a very small price to pay to be bite free for a week!

Looking forward to using the spray over a longer period.

Expect it to work & the rating go to 5 stars :-)

Sealskinz Men's Thermal Liners Gloves - Black, One Size
Sealskinz Men's Thermal Liners Gloves - Black, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful and well made, 13 July 2014
I bought these for my Mom, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis in her fingers, and my wife who always has cold hands.

They both report the same things: quite well made, reasonable fit and do warm the hands.

My wife found they worked best when used under another pair of gloves; worn on their own they are not waterproof. They do seem to help retain warmth and she does use them.

My Mom wears them in the house, without any other gloves on. They are thin enough to allow her to do things such as operate the TV remote but she struggles to use them with her smart phone - the material is too thick.

But they do warm her fingers, which certainly eases the arthritis so she'd recommend them.

I'd say give them a try and would have given them 4 stars but they are quite expensive ....

First World War For Dummies (For Dummies (History, Biography & Politics)
First World War For Dummies (For Dummies (History, Biography & Politics)
by SeŠn Lang

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to WW1 and more ...., 13 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
... the usual Dummies format, provides a great introduction to The Great War and then some.

My son is currently studying WW1 and 'A' Level and he devoured this book! Was full of praise for the logical way it was laid out, wasn't able to spot any mistakes. He used it to research specific areas of the War and also to help him produce a chronological timeline.

I found the book to be really well researched, written & laid out, with pictures, graphics & highlighted quotes, all creating the usual Dummy easy on the eye effect.

The style was interesting - a little like a series of newspaper headlines followed up with more in depth articles. The authors pretty much assumed no prior knowledge of the War on the part of the reader. To aid such readers, significant points, quotes, terms etc were explained in boxes, to the side of the narrative.

Despite its size (400 plus pages) the book obviously can't cover the whole War in any depth but - IMO - it covers all the main bases and offer a fair amount of more detail & analysis.

Meaning its very suitable to a wide range of readers, with different levels of existing knowledge, though it would seem to be primarily aimed at 'A' level students.

A really good buy; useful, accurate, easy to digest and all at affair price - recommended to anyone studying the subject or just interested in WW1.

A timely book too, with 2014 being exactly 100 years since the outbreak of the Great War.

D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings

4.0 out of 5 stars A New kind of string, a new kind of strong!, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, that's what D'Addario are claiming anyway :-)

First off, impressions are very good: the packaging is very smart looking & has an air of quality about them. Would make a very good impression if given as a gift.

My brother in law has been playing the electric guitar for about 3 years now and has lessons on a regular basis so I got him to test drive these for me.

His verdict was "very good; sound is bright and clear and they stay tuned for a good time" He's thrash metal fan so I'm guessing he's given these strings a real bashing!

When I told him the price his opinion on the quality didn't change but he didn't think they were very good value for money.

He currently uses Ernie Ball 2220 Nickel Wound strings, which apparently, sound as good and cost less than half the price. Brother in law changes his strings every 2-3 months so the cost difference is noticeable.

So I guess its down to personal preferences and if value for money matters to you.

As I said at the start, make a good gift for someone ....

Vax Genuine New Type 2 Pro Cleaning Kit, Grey
Vax Genuine New Type 2 Pro Cleaning Kit, Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made tools suitable for various VAX products, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice products - add a star depending on how many you will actually use :-)

I ordered these without realising they were specific to the Vax brand. Having got them I discovered most but not all fit our Dyson.

Let me know if you have a Dyson & want to know which tools fit.

Anyway, onto the tools themselves. They are neatly packed in a box with carry handle and include a pvc/plastic bag to store them in.

Each one seems well made and are pleasant to look at and handle.

Based on using on my Dyson I'd expect them to fit perfectly with a VAX machine.

The radiator brush fits our Dyson tightly and works well. Useful too! Same for the Up Top tool.

Neither of the 2 adapters supplied fit our Dyson.

The soft dusting brush does fit and is a bit softer than our Dyson equivalent.

Well made set of tools at a fair price. Worth buying depending on how many you'd use!

Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 60 Tablets )
Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of 1, Total 60 Tablets )

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are dishwasher tablets and the clean dishes!

The packaging is clean and simple and each 'powerball' comes wrapped in its own seal. No need to remove that just drop it in the slot and away you go!

Work very well on a variety of cups, glasses, dishes, plates and pots. Haven't used them for long enough yet to know if they stain glasses but no streaks yet. And no leakage into the dishwasher either.

Pretty good on heavily stained dishes though we tend to remove excess food from our plates etc before putting in the washer. Work well with pots and pans, which tend to be stained a little more.

Price (considering the number of tablets provided) and performance on a par with the Finish liquid we normally use, with a pleasant smell.

Worth considering.

Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set
Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, really useful, 19 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea is you can start something off on the hob, remove the handle if one used and place straight in the oven. Once the food is ready move the pot to the table. Any left overs can be put straight in the fridge. One pot used rather than three!

Great idea - space saving too and made to the standard you'd expect from Tefal. Solid without being too heavy.

Perhaps a little expensive but on the other hand, this set provides everything a small family could need. And the quality is high too.

Its a space saver too! Make the pots smaller by having detachable handles (2 supplied). These fit easily & securely with just a couple of clicks so you shouldn't have any worries when cooking hot food with them.

They come with glass tops so you can see easily what's cooking & how its doing!

They clean easily enough, whether by hand or in the dishwasher with their non stick coating working very well so far.

Simple & a great idea that's been very well executed.

Recommended.

VOLVO HIGH QUALITY METAL CAR KEYRING gift box
VOLVO HIGH QUALITY METAL CAR KEYRING gift box
Offered by Nesa Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, looks good maybne doesn't wear top well!, 16 May 2014
Small and shiny, this looks smart & is quite well made. The part with the VOLVO logo on is stuck onto the main part of the keyring. After about 2 weeks of having it, this came apart from the main body.

Some superglue soon had it back in place but about a week later the small ring connecting the body to the bigger ring broke away.

I e-mailed the supplier and they sent me a replacement less than a week later - no quibble. Good service.

After about a week, the part with the logo again became unattached to the rest of the keyring. So far, the super glue has held it securely for almost a month now.

A fair product for the price. And a good supplier too.

Olympus DM-901 Stereo Voice Recorder with 4GB Flash Memory, PCM, MP3 and WMA - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A little expensive but worth it!, 16 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First my only gripe - its a little bulky and a bit heavier than I expected it to be. But I suspect that's because I'm so used to tiny, thin mobiles. Oh, and the enclosed manual could be clearer.

And of course, most smart phones can record voices so what's the point?

Plenty as it happens! This comes with lots of inbuilt storage and you can add more via a micro card. It has the ability to upload photos from your mobile, lots of sound settings (lectures etc) and comes with some easy to use (& useful) software.

These features are great to have but two of the main things these recorders need to be are 1) easy to use and 2) provide voice recordings that are clear and loud enough to hear.

I'm very pleased to be able to report the DM - 901 (snappy name, not) scores highly in both areas! Despite all its features is very easy to record from (& play back) and the records are loud & crystal clear, even when done in a room with several people present.

A little pricey but if you are in the market for a well made voice recorder with a lot of options, this would seem a good value purchase!

NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

3.0 out of 5 stars Not had to use it yet so ...., 16 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
.... a bit difficult to review! What I can say is its a little heavy & bulky but feels sturdy and quite well made. I've not heard of this company before but its a battery charger!

I know there is more to it than that (speed of charge, how 'dead' a battery it can revive etc) but as I've not used it I really can't comment any further :-)

The only thing I would say - as have other reviewers - the print in the manual is very, very small. You probably don't need a manual any way and the price of this charger seems reasonable compared with others on the market.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20