Profile for C.J.S. Cowles > Reviews

Sitar Virtuoso
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 4.08

2.0 out of 5 stars I expect music on a CD, not more than ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Sitar Virtuoso (Audio CD)
I expect music on a CD, not more than 40 minutes of speech (more than two-thirds) on the second CD, particularly as most of it was in a language I don't understand, If it had been the first CD only I would have said it was OK.

Binge - Orchestral Works
Binge - Orchestral Works
Price: 13.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronald Binge, 14 July 2013
I think Binge deserves a higher classification than "light music". Perhaps he should have had a more exciting name. I think he fits into an English style if there is such a thing which begins with Elgar's less monumental works like Chanson de Matin and continues through Butterworth and Delius to Rutter. I only really want to comment on the Concerto for Alto Saxophone. Having heard how much a saxophone could contribute to jazz I thought there was real scope for it to be in classical works. I've bought a couple of CDs of saxophone concertos but was a little disappointed. The saxophone concerto on this CD is very good and combined with delightful pieces of music like The Watermill and Sailing By, I thoroughly recommend this CD.

Music for Double Bass and Piano, Volume 1
Music for Double Bass and Piano, Volume 1
Offered by Naxos Direct UK
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottesini, 14 July 2013
I wasn't sure I would like music for double bass, but I thought it might make a good combination with the piano. The fact that having listened to Volume 1 I have then ordered Volume 2 is sufficient recommendation.

Easton: Concerto on Australian Themes, an Australian in Paris, Beasts of the Bush
Price: 3.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Easton, 14 July 2013
I'll give a rather generous 3 stars because the music is reasonably OK. The Concerto on Australian Themes is good, but I thought there wasn't sufficient accordion to justify the Concerto for Accordion and Piano being a concerto for accordion, albeit for piano as well. What really makes 3 generous is the fact that more than 18 minutes out of 66 is given up to a verbal account of wallabies etc., which should be replaced by music of some sort.

Dorman: Concertos For Mandolin (Concertos For Mandolin/ Piccolo/ Piano/ Concerto Grosso)
Price: 6.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Anver Dorman, 14 July 2013
The accompanying notes talk of Dorman's love for baroque music, but I wish his love had showed itself in his compostion. Not long into the mandolin concerto I was saying "Oh Vivaldi, where are you?" The piccolo concerto was better, but not a lot. The Concerto Grosso left no impact on me, but persvere, dear listener, the piano concerto was delightful and that's why it manages two stars. Go direct to track 10 and you'll enjoy it.

Very Best Of Summer Classics
Very Best Of Summer Classics
Offered by Bargaindiscsltd
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Classics, 14 July 2013
This CD arrived in the middle of winter while I was nursing a heavy cold. I played it then to remind me of summer, the same reason why I love playing Rodrigo in the winter, but now that a well above average summer has arrived I can say that these CDs can provide a marvellous accompaniment to many a summer activity. It includes a number of short pieces like Butterworth's Banks of Green Willow and Elgar's Chanson de Matin, the most summery piece of music I know, Coates' By the Sleepy Lagoon, which sounds much nicer when it's not a radio programme sinature tune, and a whole host of other favourites including an absolutely exquisite Serenade by Haydn. I'm not madly keen on compilations but this one is definitely worth buying.

Musette De Paris: Authentic French Accordion Music
Musette De Paris: Authentic French Accordion Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Musette de Paris, 1 Mar 2013
Very enjoyable music. It is much, much nicer than the Cafe de Paris disc which I bought last month and with more tunes to associate with Paris.

Spohr: Clarinet Concertos Nos. 1 & 3
Spohr: Clarinet Concertos Nos. 1 & 3
Price: 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Spohr Clarinet Concertos, 9 Feb 2013
I was not familiar with Spohr's compositions, but I bought this after hearing part of it on Classic fm and can understand why he was in his life more popular than his contemporary, Beethoven.

Krommer Double Clarinet Concerto, Spohr Concertos Nos.2 & 4
Krommer Double Clarinet Concerto, Spohr Concertos Nos.2 & 4
Price: 7.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Krommer and Spohr clarinet concertos., 9 Feb 2013
I bought it for the Spohr concertos and I did enjoy them, but I was captivated by the Krommer, whom I confess I'd never heard of.

A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
by Scott Hahn
Price: 8.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Scott Hahn and God's covenant., 5 Dec 2012
The covenant is a subject that merits much more study by Christians. Hahn's book is outstanding as he expounds the various covenants in the Old Testament (apart from the dreadful puns in chapter sub-headings), but I find the switch to the New Testament a bit disappointing as he seems to make his argument fit the conclusion that he has already decided rather than the other way round. I can't see the connection between sacrifice and the Eucharist.

Page: 1 | 2