Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "BookMadMummy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Titchy Witch: Titchy Witch and the Scary Haircut
Titchy Witch: Titchy Witch and the Scary Haircut

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Aug. 2013
My children love the Titchy Witch books. This title is one of the better ones - the previous ones were either a hit or a miss! The story is very good however I don't understand why there was such a long gap between the previous books and these newer ones.

On another note, I wish the author would refrain from using the word "stupid" and used daft instead. We're teaching the children not to say stupid and we try to change the words when we read it but sometimes when you're tired, you don't think straight. Then the children start saying "Mummy, you said stupid ..." and then we have to tell them it's in the book ...

The IF Diet
The IF Diet
by Robert Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Paperback)
Prior to reading this book, I read The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer and like a previous reviewer said, the two complement each other perfectly. After reading The Fast Diet I tried the 600 calories method and to be honest, I really didn't do that great at it. I lasted for most of the day but toward the end, I found it too difficult.

This book offers three different approaches and I have chosen Thirder to try out. Thirder is where you eat for 8 hours a day. I have chosen to eat from 11 to 7. I have found that nearer the breaking fast time at 11am, about 9:30 ish onwards is the toughest part of the day and my endurance is really pushed but I KNOW I can wait until 11am to eat. It has also helped me to plan in advance what exactly it is that I am going to be eating so that I don't make a piggy out of myself (quite easy to do after spending all those hours not eating).

The only con I can find in this is I have recently incorporated an exercise programme and according to the book, it is best to eat soon after weight training and with interval training, eat after an hour. My problem is finding the optimum time to exercise AND eat. Otherwise, the Thirder approach fits my lifestyle best.

It is only my third day (no pun intended) and although at 9.20 this morning I found myself snoozing on the sofa, tomorrow I will be at work so should be occupied enough until it's time to break my "fast". I feel better in myself, my head seems clearer and I am also drinking water like it is going out of fashion (whenever the need to feed my mouth strikes, I have been picking up a glass of water first). I have also started drinking herbal teas as although tea and coffee is permitted during fasting times, I am not a fan of tea and certainly not a fan of black coffee. I like my milk.

In the few days leading up to starting, I did cut my food intake in an effort to decrease my appetite as well. I also tried my best to make some healthier food choices but not cutting out treats entirely otherwise I'll end up sabotaging myself. At the end of the day, I want to do this so I can live as long as possible and as healthily as possible and while I am doing that, I desperately need to lose the weight that I have been trying to get rid of for 13 long years. When I achieve that, I am going to wear NICE clothes, not the ones I pick out so that it will hide my awful lumps, bulges and tummy overhang.

So do try this book, it will help you become healthy AND lose weight, it's a win win situation all round. I've lost 4lb so far and really looking forward to losing the other 54lb! (Yes, you read that right!)

Superworm
Superworm
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Read every night for the past two weeks!, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Superworm (Hardcover)
My children both love this but my 4.5 year old son especially, is intrigued by Superworm!

Fabulous story line coupled with brilliant illustrations, this book is one of the best yet from the amazing collaboration of Donaldson-Scheffler. How do they do it?

Borrowed from the library first to see if it was any good but we did not need to worry and placed an order with Amazon after just 3 days of booking it out of the library. Buy it and be prepared to read over and over again.

The Scandalous Princess (Mills & Boon M&B) (The Santina Crown, Book 3)
The Scandalous Princess (Mills & Boon M&B) (The Santina Crown, Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Average read, 25 Aug. 2012
Having read references to Ben Jackson in the other Santina Crown books, I was really looking forward to his story.

However, the two main characters just kept on and on with their verbal sparring and it really got in the way of the romance. You don't really get to know either of them that well, just a lot of lip service about their past and their relationship with the press. Natalia was really plain annoying and it was hard to empathise with her.

Sentences were repeated e.g. "she wanted to change but didn't know how". It just really put me off and got in the way of any enjoyment I could have got from this book. Unfortunately, I really cannot recommend this. Truly a disappointing read.

The Tarnished Jewel of Jazaar (Mills & Boon Modern)
The Tarnished Jewel of Jazaar (Mills & Boon Modern)
by Susanna Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 29 July 2012
A really well written romance. I enjoyed every page, no skim reading was done on this book.

The hero and heroine are well suited, and I fell in love with both characters. The plot was quite unique - falling in love AFTER an arranged marriage. I loved the heroine's backbone and her fighting spirit, I loved the softening of the hero throughout his marriage. It is definitely one of the best M & B romances I have read! The ending was just perfect, but left me wanting more, reluctant to leave the book.

Highly recommend and best of all, no spelling or grammatical errors here which are becoming quite common in Mills & Boon. Read this, you will not be disappointed.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
by Aimee Bender

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsure, 7 July 2012
I picked up this book based on the good reviews but having read it, I am really unsure what to make of it.

The main character Rose was just quite sad but then we find out that Joseph is even sadder. Rose compares her home life with her friend Eliza's and the two are so different so the parents probably aren't really that happy either. Joseph's character was just too sad and creepy. Rose's mum was strange, her father living a life of pretence. The only character I quite liked was George.

A few times I fell asleep while reading this book and towards the end I found myself skim reading a lot. I completely disliked the end.

To conclude, I finished this book with a not very nice taste in my mouth (pun intended). It is just not a book for me. I am all for creative license but perhaps with happier tones. Sorry Ms Bender but this was a disappointing read. Especially with the plot, it could have been so much more. It just did not have that wow factor.

Broken Fences
Broken Fences
by Camilla Noli

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to think about, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Broken Fences (Hardcover)
Having read Camilla Noli's The Mother's Tale: A Novel: A Mother's Tale I really wanted to read this. The issues that Camilla raises about motherhood are quite valid - where do you draw the line between letting your children go, letting them make decisions, becoming too overprotective? As mothers, I am sure at some point, we will be confronted by these questions in some shape or form.

Clair is a mother of two children, Martin and Beccy. The children are very good friends with Mel's children, Tabitha and Sammy who live next door. One day, Sandy and her family move in and as soon as Clair sets eyes on Chelsea, she knows that she is not going to be good for her family.

What follows is a story that flows well and handled with the right amount of care and sensitivity. Not too much and not too little. I have to be honest and say that this book also left me feeling a little unsettled as her other one did. At least the ending is okay on this one.

Would recommend if you want to read issues on motherhood, although be warned that Ms Noli does seem to add different twists to it, and it is not all a bed of roses.

The Good Father
The Good Father
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Good Father (Paperback)
If I had had the time, this book would have been "gobbled" up in one sitting. As things stand, I finished this book in just a day. It was very easy to read and I was hooked in from the first sentence. I won't go into the intricacies of the plot and synopsis, as this has already been handled by other reviewers.

The characters are all well rounded and DC's writing makes you care what happens to all of them, even the minor character of Alissa, Dale's teenage sister. The book was very real i.e. the issues that it dealt with - teenage love and pregnancy, loss of job, home, loved one.

This is my fourth DC book and I am an established fan now. I don't think her writing is anything like Jodi Picoult though, both women are in a class of their own.

An absolutely brilliant and heartwarming book. Read it, you will not be disappointed. I highly recommend it.

Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes
Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes
by Anna Kemp

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 4 Jun. 2012
This is a fantastic book. My little man who is 4 absolutely loves this book.

There is humour, brilliant illustrations, a great story and a purple rhino in it - what is there not to love!

A really great book for both parents and children. I highly recommend it for your bookshelf. It is one you will find reading often, I can guarantee it. You will NOT be disappointed.

The Mother's Tale: A Novel: A Mother's Tale
The Mother's Tale: A Novel: A Mother's Tale
by Camilla Noli

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read anything like it ..., 4 Jun. 2012
The premise for this story is a mother who had a very different life before her children (well yes, which of us mothers didn't!). She did not want to become a mother but is married to a man who is desperate to have children. She goes on to have her daughter and then 12 months later, her son. She views her daughter as a rival for her husband's affections and it's quite shocking to read the way she describes her 16 month old child.

I have never read a book with this type of story line before. This is about a woman who should never have become a mother, someone who sounds like a psychopathic narcissist. I agree that it is a real page turner and that you will not want to stop once you begin to read. The length is just right for the plot.

The book made me feel a lot less guilty for the fact that sometimes I raise my voice at my children and also made me very thankful that I am not this kind of mother!

I have taken one star away because of the ending. I won't give it away but there is none to give, anyway. I like the loose ends in my books to be tied up. The last paragraph was quite chilling I thought.

Do read it if you can handle the subject matter. It is a book that will stay with you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6