Profile for A reader > Reviews

Content by A reader

A reader "A reader" (London)

A Fold in the Map (Salt Modern Poets)
A Fold in the Map (Salt Modern Poets)
by Isobel Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and poignant, 12 Feb. 2008
Having read the poems I then had the pleasure of seeing the poet perform a selection.
Dixon has a haunting, memorable turn of phrase and I found reading several of them made me quite emotional. At times nostalgic, at times bitter-sweet, the overall tone is very affecting.
The two parts of the collection recall different events we can all relate to - leaving home, and in this case your home country, and the passing of a much-loved parent.
These poems can be read over and over whilst still finding new meaning every time.

The Devil's Breath: Danger Zone
The Devil's Breath: Danger Zone
by David Gilman

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacy, well written adventure story for children and adults too!, 22 Aug. 2007
I loved this book from start to finish - you're thrown straight in the action, and I loved that Max doesn't just get on with it on his own - he has help from a Bushman, a school friend, and a girl he meets once he gets to Namibia, where his father is missing.
Max is a lively character, and unlike many heroes, also has faults and makes mistakes, which makes him all the more believable. The tools he uses are real, not fancy technical gadgets, and Gilman makes it seem like anyone with the right tools could live the same adventure as Max.
A great book for 10+, and adults too will really enjoy the adventure, as well as the depiction of the Bushmen and their environment.

Daniel Isn't Talking
Daniel Isn't Talking
by Marti Leimbach

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly absorbing - read it in one sitting, 8 May 2007
This review is from: Daniel Isn't Talking (Paperback)
As a young, single woman without children I was impressed with how well I could slip into Daniel's (and his mother's) world.

Marti Leimbach has created a wonderful set of characters, and has made me more aware of autism than I think I could have been my any other medium. It's a colourful, interesting, life-affirming story, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to be totally immersed in what they're reading.

The Stormcaller: The Twilight Reign: Book 1: Book One of the Twilight Reign
The Stormcaller: The Twilight Reign: Book 1: Book One of the Twilight Reign
by Tom Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good book!, 23 May 2006
I was really surprised by this - I don't usually even pick up Fantasy books but was given this by a friend and really enjoyed it. It's very well written and the plot is clever enough to keep your attention. The main character, Isak, is both likeable and frightening, which only makes it more interesting. I'm really looking forward to the next book!