Profile for Mr. J. S. Jarrett > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. S. Jarrett

Mr. J. S. Jarrett "Jason Jarrett" (UK)

Uncommon Sense, Common Nonsense: Why some organisations consistently outperform others

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 12 Oct 2012
This is the best book on management I have read. I have wanted to wallpaper my office with its pithy succinct, logical and well written words. If it wasn't on the kindle I would have stapled each page on the foreheads of several people I know. Its been along time since I wanted to quote from every other page in a book. Finally someone talking real sense about business strategy in a way that can infect your thinking

The Art of Non Conformity
The Art of Non Conformity

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 12 Oct 2012
Its an inventive book with some good ideas but its not a ground mover. Constant references to 'ignore this if you disagree' or 'stop reading if you are doing this already' undermined the content for me. Interesting ideas though but perhaps not qualified in life enough to make some of the broadsweeping statements. I'd like to see what this looks like in the 5th edition if the author has children by then.

Sea to Summit The Clothes Line
Sea to Summit The Clothes Line

3.0 out of 5 stars not finished, 11 Aug 2012
Great idea, Ive used it three times, the first couple of times it worked. The third time, the plastic connector to the suction pad fractured rendering the whole thing useless. Its a great idea, and it works, the problem is the materials used.

Booq Taipan shadow S - black-red
Booq Taipan shadow S - black-red

5.0 out of 5 stars The little bag that could, 11 Aug 2012
This is an excellent bag, Ive been using it for a couple of months and I think its definitely one of the best bags I've had, and Ive complained and whinged about a lot of bags I've tried.
The booq taipan uses space better than any bag I have ever had. The back panel which opens up to sit on the suitcase extendable handle is great, in the same area is a slot that fits your iPad or kindle (even with a cover) and a perfect slot for the iphone. The front cover houses a massive cavity for cables etc. Inside, the front area has been really thought through, the more you use it the more you can see the design considerations. Great protection for the laptop.
There is one thing that you need to remember though, the Taipan can carry an awful lot, I would say more than my shoulders should, so beware and look after your health, don't overpack, the Taipan can take it but you might not be able to. The little bag that could.

Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter
Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 7 Feb 2010
I have been using the Vesenet homeplug devices for years, they are great. What makes them great?
In England in old houses it can be difficult to get a wifi signal throughout the whole house. Homeplug solves this by giving you the chance to turn any electrical output into a possible internet port. Fast and reliable.
Why Vesenet, well, if you use a lot of technology, you tend to use surge protectors to prevent a lightning strike destroying your equipment. Many homeplugs do not work on extension cables or surge protectors but the Vesenet product does, which is a real plus. Another plus, and I use a Mac, is that you don't need to download any software or configure anything, you just unpack it and plug it in. I plug my HP Laser printer into one port my internet into the other and it works a dream, my daughter wanders into my office to pick up her printing, my wife comes up stairs to pick up her printing etc its great.
I've not given it 5 stars for one reason, the plug being a part of a bulky unit can limit what you can plug in next to it and it would be great if it had a normal plug on a lead that you could plug into it (they used to have this!). As a result of being in a rush and a bit clumsy, I have accidently broken a couple because of this. However, the points I have made above far outway this niggling design issue. Its a great product that I will continue to buy.

Where Would You Be?
Where Would You Be?

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this track, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Where Would You Be? (MP3 Download)
This is a great track from Vittoria Conn. Great lyrics, great production. Such an inspiring song, really lifts my spirits. Reminds me so sometimes of Carly Simon.

UNLOCKING THE MYSTERIES OF BIR: .. And Everything in Between, a Buddhist View of Life
by Daisaku Ikeda

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 30 May 2009
This book is perhaps my favourite book about Buddhism. I have been practicing this form of Buddhism for 23 years or so and I produce a podcast called A Buddhist Podcast, this book is a resource that I constantly refer to. I keep thinking I should by more copies so that I have enough to see me through the rest of my life (laughing). It is the beginners book that explains complex Buddhist concepts in a great way. Like most things profound, just reading the text once may not be enough, you may need to read parts of it several times before the enormity of the concept begins to play with your thoughts on life and how it works.
This is not a dummies guide, but a powerful book that explains the basic points of Buddhism as taught by Nichiren Daishonin. I recommend this book wholeheartedly.

The Scene And The Unseen
The Scene And The Unseen
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away, 1 Dec 2007
This album is innovative and hypnotic, I can't stop listening. It pulls you in with new sounds and great melodies, not heard anything like it. enjoy

Raising Girls: Why girls are different - and how to help them grow up happy and confident
by Gisela Preuschoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, I like it, 20 May 2007
Ok so I am only 3 quarters through it but I did that in one flight. I am a father, I have 3 children, two of which are girls. I have found the book to be very useful so far. The fact that girls have 10 times the sensory endings in their skin as boys do, explains a lot! Yes there are some opinions but yes there is a lot of content that I found really useful, and some of which I wish I had known earlier.

Favourite quote so far, "What we occupy ourselves with every day moulds us."