Profile for C. P. Willmot > Reviews

Content by C. P. Willmot

C. P. Willmot (DURHAM , England)

Samsung Series 5/9 Notebook VGA Dongle
Samsung Series 5/9 Notebook VGA Dongle
Price: 19.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Series 9, 12 Jun 2014
I have a Samsung 900X Ultrabook that has the legend, "New - Series 9" above the function keys. I expected it to fit but the mini-VGA plug is quite different from the socket on my laptop. I would have returned it, but it arrives so long after I'd ordered it, that the suppliers were unlikely to be able to get an appropriate replacement.

The Vampire Diaries - Season 1-4 [DVD] [2013]
The Vampire Diaries - Season 1-4 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Nina Dobrev
Offered by Tooboon
Price: 34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly written and performed, 12 Jun 2014
I had heard that The Originals (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Originals-Season-1-DVD/dp/B00DY64B0W) was a spin-off and had really enjoyed that show. However, I was initially disappointed to find it another high-school vampire tale with more that a passing similarity to Buffy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-Season-DVD/dp/B00004YWJE).

The disappointment didn't last for long. Although I really enjoyed Buffy and Angel all those years ago, those shows suffered from filler episodes and monsters that were rather silly really. This is a truly enjoyable romp with pace and drama. The script writing is consistently good and the production superb. But it is the performances that make each episode watchable again (and again, probably).

Perhaps not quite a timeless classic, but certainly in my top ten shows of the last few years. Well worth the money.

50 X 3FT HEAVY DUTY BAMBOO GARDEN CANES STRONG THICK QUALITY PLANT SUPPORT
50 X 3FT HEAVY DUTY BAMBOO GARDEN CANES STRONG THICK QUALITY PLANT SUPPORT
Offered by trade-mart
Price: 9.77

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 12 Jun 2014
These canes are a good length for staking shrubs and flowers. They are sturdy enough to push into dug soil and straight enough to bury 8" to 1ft in the ground. Their evenly cut tops and uniform shape look good in regular rows supporting my carnations.

Why not five stars? Two snapped because they were rotten, but mostly because they are a little on the slim side for "thick quality", in my opinion. Typically the thick end is about 10mm but the thin end is sometimes as little as 6 or 7 mm. That said, they are strong enough for what I need and I have been happy to reorder another 50.

The Cloud of Unknowing
The Cloud of Unknowing
Price: 1.23

3.0 out of 5 stars A Digireads Edition, 28 Jan 2012
A professional, but cheaply produced eBook. Evelyn Underhill is not the author. She has merely written an introduction to the anonymous British Museum text which forms the main work. Someone has certainly tidied up the Middle English spellings but even crediting her as Translator is an overstatement; most of the original vocabulary, word usage and ordering remain.

The style and grammar requires some work by modern readers. However, this need not be a drawback. This is the kind of book that needs to be chewed over; one needs to read a paragraph or so at a time, with long pauses for thought. The format of 75 short chapters helps. This publication encourages a slower, more prayerful pace of life. Without labour we skate upon the surface and miss the depths this book is all about.

Allowing the text to intermingle with the stuff of ordinary life (in the contemplative fashion probably intended by the author) is somewhat foreign to us. We are more used to gulping down a book as if it were fast food. Many, myself included, need their diet predigested. I'm not sure I would have understood the English had I not already read The Cloud of Unknowing and Other Works (Penguin Classics).

On the down side, this eBook publication is clearly mechanical. For example, the hyphen character used throughout the introduction appears as `?' on the Kindle; it was clearly not read after processing. Particularly annoying is the fact they didn't bother to produce a Kindle-compatible index. I remedied this by bookmarking the Contents page, but it would not have cost them much to include the same material in NCX format, making it a proper `Kindle' book. Still, we get what we pay for, and it is hardly expensive.

More expensive editions may or may not be better; this one is at least worth its price. However, I would recommend more recent editions. Although both The Cloud of Unknowing and Other Works (Classic, Modern, Penguin) and The Cloud of Unknowing: A New Translation have their own (minor) drawbacks, they are worth the extra money.

Briefing Leaders
Briefing Leaders
by Andrew Kennedy
Price: 9.42

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of interesting essays, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Briefing Leaders (Paperback)
Andrew Kennedy has tried to tie rather disparate ideas together. It is not a bad attempt and short enough to read in a couple of days, so might be worth trying. Personally, I was only interested in his comments on the I Ching, which were interesting but passed quickly from my mind.

What did stick was his analysis of the probabilities when using the yarrow stalk method for divining with the I Ching. I have tested the correction he suggests for more than a year now and the outcomes seem well balanced.

The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics)
The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics)
by Liu I-ming
Price: 13.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A spiritual handbook, 18 Oct 2010
When I first started looking at the I Ching I bought this but didn't take to it. I was too new to it and not in a position to understand its true value. Pearls before swine, perhaps.

If you want to use the I Ching for help with normal day-to-day concerns it is hard to better the enlightened guidance of I Ching: Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future, or I Ching: The Classic Chinese Oracle of Change if you fancy something closer to the raw Chinese.

However, after living with the I Ching for a year or two I began to appreciate its structure and purpose. (It is not primarily a book of divination.) My guess is it was a handbook for training the young nobles of ancient China in the art of wise government. The same principles apply to anyone who understands that the intangibles of life are where its value lies, and wish to live wisely.

Lui-I-Ming is an excellent teacher. Woven though his commentary are instruction in Taoist principles such as the blending of yin and yang. He offers practical guidance how to nurture true yang and transmute the artificial (human-manufactured) thought life we develop as children into the genuine (Tao/Spirit gifted) open mindfulness that reflects the calm, clear Way of heaven and the stable, peaceful Way of earth.

In fifty years of reading I have found three books that have genuine, priceless value. This is one. Try using the oracle to select "daily notes" from Thomas Cleary's translation. If it speaks to you, you'll at least be intrigued. As a famous Jew once remarked, "Whoever has ears let them hear".

I Ching: Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future
I Ching: Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future
by Hilary Barrett
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully clear book of practical wisdom, 8 Sep 2010
This book presents a breadth of detail that remains faithful to the ancient text, with the clarity and simplicity that only comes from a deep understanding.

The author expects this slim, practical book to be read interactively. It is presented as a Book of Change: to be read in the pursuit of the wisest, most effective way of living in the world. In my experience, allowing ourselves to change under its guidance does enable us to live more skilfully. Mrs Barrett offers realistic suggestions on how to "walk this path". There are sections on framing good questions, the mechanics of consulting the oracle, how to hear its response and on integrating what we learn into our lives. Each of the hexagrams includes a "Key Questions" section which help in this process.

I have many books on the Yijing and this treatment is among the clearest. Alongside the core Zhou text she includes a useful selection of the additional texts showing what the ancient Chinese felt it meant. I particularly liked the brief yet evocative trigram descriptions, giving these possibly obscure notions an intuitive shape and some relationship with each other.

Mrs Barrett's translation is in simple English, but not so simplified as to obscure the original imagery. For instance, we don't often come across carts whose axles have come untied, or foxes getting their tails wet crossing a river. But these word pictures are rarely so foreign as to be incomprehensible and she offers adequate explanation when they are. As a result the text is both accessible and evocative, with enough meat to keep the reader thinking, until how the underlying wisdom applies to the reader's question becomes clear.

This edition makes a good introduction to the I Ching. Yet there is also enough food for thought in this modern treatment to make it an excellent companion to more traditional translations.

Pentel Graph Gear Mechanical Pencil Retractable Sleeve and 3 x HB 0.7mm Lead Ref PG1017/POLY
Offered by Avatar Express
Price: 8.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming back for more, 26 May 2009
Somewhat put off by the other reviewer, I only bought one of these at Christmas. My wife has kept it in her handbag since, using it as her main writing implement. She is pleased, I also like it and her mother wants one as well.

After nearly six months day-to-day use, we have found it robust enough and haven't noticed any failings. On the contrary, it is nice to have a proper "pencil-width" pencil consistently available whenever we need one.

Programming KDE 2.0: Creating Linux Desktop Applications
Programming KDE 2.0: Creating Linux Desktop Applications
by Lotzi Boloni

4.0 out of 5 stars Style and content fine, if rather pedestrian, 28 May 2001
The coverage is good, including a section on how to set up autoconf and configure which I found most helpful. Introductory chapters are fine, but the central section just introduces the KDE widgets one by one. IMHO it would have been much better had the space been given to expanding the last couple of chapters. They're ok, but these were the kind of questions I'd hoped would be answered in more depth e.g. how to set up accelerator keys for things *other* than the standard operations.
As a result, the book seemed little more than an extended example, expanding on the existing documentation. This would have been useful (as the documention is incomplete) except that only the well-covered sections were dealt with. However, I may be being unduly harsh as it was well checked and made a good, clear introductory text.