Profile for Mr. David Sutton > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Sutton

Mr. David Sutton "nervousenergy"

Foundations Of Burden
Foundations Of Burden
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely mindblowing stuff, I can't fault it. Its ..., 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Foundations Of Burden (Audio CD)
Absolutely mindblowing stuff, I can't fault it. Its heavy, slow, and melodic. Totally deserving of Decibels coveted Album of the Year 2014 spot. Buy it and support the band, don't be a scumbag freeloader.

Fäviken
Fäviken
by Magnus Nilsson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and novel, a peek into a passionate chefs mind., 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
I have been waiting for this book to be released for a couple of months at least now. I can't remember where I even first heard about Magnus Nilsson but I was fascinated by his restaurant at what feels like the edge of civilisation. The book is prefaced by a couple of thought provoking and sometimes touching forewords, which outlines some details of the Swedish chefs background and his journey to his current celebrity.
The book itself is gorgeous, filled with high quality pictures of his creations, and of the surrounding areas of Sweden. It is also quite densely filled with text (for a cookery book), something I really enjoyed in this book since a lot of the ideas and methods are so alien they need explaining not only in terms of technique, but in terms of Magnus' thought processes and evolutions.
The recipes in the book are, simply, stunning. Quite complex I felt in terms of prep and flavour (though I am no chef!), but the theory is really simple, and they are presented in a spare, minimalist fashion. That being said, a lot of the ingredients are going to be impossible to obtain without a good knowledge of plants, herbs (if they even exist where you happen to live: Finnish bitter milk caps, for example) etc and a lot more still are made by obscure and longforgotten methods. You can't nip down to the supermarket and get all the ingredients required. Most of the ingredients dreamt up by Nilsson are explained, like how to make "vinegar matured in the burned-out trunk of a spruce tree" for instance. Some single ingredient might take a lot of effort to make, or find. Some might just not be possible to obtain, like pigs blood. In the UK I'm fairly sure this cannot be sold to the public, or possibly only in a dry form. These things sound fairly negative, and I suppose are, along with Nilssons tendancy to always insist upon "Perfect" chanterelles or "Exceptional" quality cloudberries, say. His grading system of good, very good, perfect and exceptional is a bit confusing sometimes, and some recipes are rather vague in other ways. I suspect this is deliberate, encouraging anyone attempting recreations of his cuisine to find their own path, and to experiment.
These gripes are minor and probably pedantic, as its not really about the ingredients. Its about the concept. The book, overall, is awe inspiring. Magnus' use of his environment, and embracing its limitations as a challenge to his skills as a chef, is (I found anyway) rather moving. You won't find him using anything other than what is available, in season, yet of incredibly high quality. E.g. Lemons don't grow in Sweden. So, no lemons in the kitchen. Instead, he seems to have around 100 bottles of vinegar, made with whatever he can get his hands on via a multitude of different methods.
This book has made me really think hard about the land where I live. About how I could be using what is available naturally and THINKING about it, being inventive and creative, rather than buying something that has been forced, or shipped halfway around the world, because a recipe calls for it, or it goes with whatever piece of meat/fish I have in the fridge. It has changed the way I look at everything, really. I'm only an amateur chef, its a hobby, but I've never felt more excited to experiment; to get to know my surroundings more, and to be brave with whatever I make. Fantastic, I can't recommend it enough! 4.5 Stars. I need a good plant guide or I shall eventually poison myself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2015 2:29 PM GMT

Harmonicraft
Harmonicraft
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastical hybrid, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Harmonicraft (Audio CD)
Stumbled across this band recently whilst mass-aquiring a load of new music. Struck me on the first listen as being absolutely brilliant, and subsequent listens have only solidified this impression. The album to me sounds like a strange amalgam of punk, pop, hard rock and maybe a little bit doom. Its hard to describe, theres so much going on. Its a really lively recording, upbeat to me and is filled with treasure, loads of fantastic guitar and drum work and the singing reminds me of dillinger four for some reason. . . The other review and the BBC description capture it better, but I really needed to get another 5 star on their board, and since I'm new to the band I guess I can't be shouted down for being a fanboy.

Grand Magus
Grand Magus
Offered by shakedownrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Big fat old school stone core metal., 14 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Grand Magus (Audio CD)
Grand Magus are a supremely powerful band, although they aren't particularly heavy in the fashions of heavy metal. This album is a masterpiece. The vocals are very strong and not growly like CoF, whilst the guitars are downtuned giving a hugely satisfying ballsy sound that you can feel in your chest! The main beauty comes from the riffs that are played practically constantly over the rhythem guitar without ever sounding out of place. This is for any metal fan in the world, its fantastic!

Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior (PC)
Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Yeesh, what went wrong?, 8 Oct. 2003
Oh dear GW, what ARE you thinking of? This game had me very excited for a couple of months up to the release - As a warhammer 40K gamer I thought this game should be a really interesting, original and epic tale of a day in the life of Kais. The game falls short on almost every category. The graphics are on a par with System Shock 2 (a fabulous game, but released about 5 years ago) and are very poor when compared to other new FPS's like unreal 2, medal of honour, RTCW etc.
The AI is appalling as detailed in a previous review and the sounds are very bland and uninteresting, and rather than fade out over distance, just step down to a low volume when a certain distance away.
The thing that really got me though was the distance everything was from the Warhammer tabletop game. The backgrounds players are supplied with gives a certain colour and style to each race, which I felt were wrongly portrayed in the game. E.g. the space marines are ultra disciplined warriors I always imagined as very calm and formal. In the game they behave like imperial guardsmen should.
In short, it has nothing making it worth £30, or even £15. Its very poor, which at least is in keeping with GW computer game standard. I had hoped to be proved wrong this time!

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GameCube)
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GameCube)

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not as good as previous version, 26 Aug. 2003
just bought MKDA and to start off with I was quite impressed - its a nicely done piece of work with a very good if overly complex fighting system... The game looks nice and generally play well, but I expected more... The fatalities have been reduced to one per fighter, and to be honest, most of the fatalities look a lot better on my mega drive. Quan Chi's neck stretcher is abomnibly terrible. The enemies are challenging to a point, then the computer gets ridiculously hard. some nice out of fight extras such as chop cup and break the board etc.

Unreal II: The Awakening
Unreal II: The Awakening
Offered by marxwax

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game - wheres the rest?, 9 Feb. 2003
I've been waiting for Unreal II for months now, after being incredibly impressed with the first game (can still play and enjoy it now years after!) and I was not disappointed. The game is just gorgeous in almost every way possible... The shadows are perfect (if you ramp them right up...) the graphics are stunning, the story (yep, it even has one of those) is interesting and anybody with a sub-woofer is gonna have a ball... There are many different unique places to kill things and the AI is nasty! But why only 4 stars? Simply because the is sooo short! I played it on the mid-difficulty for a few hours friday, and a few more to complete on saturday! 2 DAYS! And its not like I even played non-stop all day! The original Unreal had me playing for weeks... Also, to be admittedly nit-picky it requires a serious slab of hardware to run. I definately reccomend this game despite its shortness for anyone who like FPS's. And it has multiplayer, but how many people will just use UT 2003?