Profile for M. Oliver > Reviews

Content by M. Oliver

M. Oliver (London, United Kingdom)

Europe with Kids (Footprint Travel Guides) (Footprint with Kids)
Europe with Kids (Footprint Travel Guides) (Footprint with Kids)
by William Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our needs., 14 Feb. 2012
We like touring Europe by car and we were keen to get a guide book that would give us tips on activities for kids in the towns we went to. This was the ideal book for us.

William Gray covers every major tourist destination and gives you all you need to plan all sorts of adventures, whatever the weather & wherever you end up all over Europe.

We found the best beaches, great attractions, fantastic places to eat, and great things to do thanks to the detail provided. Also, the book is so clearly laid out, it's easy to find the infomation you need .

My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
My Name Is Earl - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Lee
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars My Name Is Earl is good karma, 6 Sept. 2006
This is my favourite US comedy of recent years. Jason Lee is note perfect as Earl and is backed by an excellent cast portraying the best collection of oddballs and off-the-wall characters since The Simpsons. In fact, imagine The Simpsons made flesh.

Here is the DVD breakdown

Presented in full screen 1:33:1 aspect ratio, the set also features English Dolby 5.1 Surround and English and Spanish mono and English, as well as Spanish and French subtitles. Individual disc content as follows:

Disc One

Pilot [Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Marc Buckland, Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee]

Quit Smoking

Randy's Touchdown

Faked My Own Death

Teacher Earl [Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Jason Lee, Giovanni Ribisi and Ethan Suplee]

Broke Joy's Fancy Figurine

Stole Beer From A Golfer

Deleted Scenes

-Broke Fancy Figurine

Disc Two

Joy's Wedding [Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Marc Buckland, Jason Lee and Eddie Steeples]

Cost Dad The Election

White Lie Christmas

Barn Burner

O Karma, Where Art Thou?[Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Jason Lee, Jon Favreau and Ethan Suplee]

Stole P's Hd Card

Monkeys In Space

Deleted Scenes

-O Karma, Where Art Thou?

-Monkeys In Space

Disc Three

Something To Live For

The Professor

Didn't Pay Taxes

Dad's Car [Includes commentary by the mothers of Greg Garcia (Natalie Garcia), Marc Buckland (Mary Buckland), Jason Lee (Carol Lee) and Ethan Suplee (Debbie Suplee)]

Bounty Hunter

Disc Four

Stole A Badge

Number One [Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Marc Buckland, Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee]

Deleted Scene: Stole A Badge

"Karma Is A Funny Thing" Blooper Reel

"Making Things Right": Behind The Scenes Of "My Name Is Earl" featurette

Bad Karma: An Earl Misadventure - DVD EXCLUSIVE SHORT [Includes commentary by Greg Garcia, Marc Buckland, Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee] This is an excellent unbroadcast episode where Earl makes a list of all the people that did him wrong and sets about giving them their comeuppance.

Lite-on 5045 Dual Format DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive
Lite-on 5045 Dual Format DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars When it's good, it's very good, but ..., 28 Nov. 2005
I've had mine for the last 6 months and I'm impressed with the quality of recordings to the HD and onto disc. It's also easier to use than a JVC model that I bought my girlfriend.
It's just that it's so damned unpredictable - it will work fine for weeks and then suddenly it freezes, often when splitting a file. Typically, after unplugging (the remote control is also locked out) the second part of the file split is corrupt and is unviewable and must be deleted.
Like some other reviewers, I've also had the entire contents of my HD disappear. The first time I lost them for good. The second time, I switched the machine off and on again and waited for the HD to be rescanned and surprisingly the contents reappeared. Perhaps, if I'd done that the first time, I'd have recovered the lost files, who knows.
Overall, I still think the machine was a good buy, especially now that I don't panic when it freezes. It is tiresome dealing with the glitches, but it works fine 99% of the time. It's so much better than my old VCR and I prefer it to the JVC HD recorder (which once froze big time - I had to turn the power on and off 3 times and wait an age before it finally rebooted and recovered the contents of the HD).
It's still pretty good value for relatively new technology, but if you can wait I predict there will be better, cheaper and more reliable models within the next 12 months.

Fearless Living: Live Without Excuses and Succeed Beyond Your Dreams
Fearless Living: Live Without Excuses and Succeed Beyond Your Dreams
by Rhonda Britten

Fearless Living is an exceptionally inspiring book. Rhonda Britten has experienced unimaginable tragedy - at 14 she witnessed her father shoot first her mother and then himself. After more than 10 years of guilt-induced self-destructive behaviour and 3 suicide attempts, she made a decision to stop using the tragedy as an "excuse" - no longer would fear be allowed control her life.
Mixing humour, real-life examples and compelling questions Rhonda invites us to examine our relationship with fear. Do we want to be fear junkies? Do we want to continue to complain, make excuses and beat ourselves up? Do we want to be like a hamster exhausting ourselves on a "wheel of fear" and getting nowhere? Or do we want to live fearlessly, take risks and create lives of freedom, integrity and fulfillment?
The book provides powerful, easy-to-follow exercises for breaking free of fear. Rhonda shows us that the belief (excuse) "I don't have the time to change" is an illusion and that we can transform our lives by changing just one thing 5 minutes a day. By choosing to acknowledge even our small steps forward, rather than beating ourselves up and by recording our "gratitudes" life can improve in a very short time.
There is little here that is ground-breakingly original, but it is so well constructed and written with such passion and conviction, that it is hard not to be inspired. The steps are so manageable and practical that I believe that I can find my way out of the maze of fear and embrace the life I am capable of living. I'm sure that this book will prove a turning point in my life.

The Beatles: 1
The Beatles: 1
Offered by leo of johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Fabs?, 22 Oct. 2000
This review is from: The Beatles: 1 (Audio CD)
All the Beatles No.1s from Love Me Do to The Long & Winding Road. You can't grumble about the quality of the songs or value for money - a single CD (and 79+ mins) with more tracks than the double Red album (1962-66).I just wonder what the motivation is behind this release. Maybe it's simply to provide a single disc career overview of the greatest pop band in history to those who don't want to invest in 2 double CDs. There will no doubt be those that will complain that no Beatles hits package is complete without Strawberry Fields Forever. But this is a compilation of all of the Beatles' US and UK No.1 hits and unfortunately that song "only" reached No.2 in the UK. The Billboard Hot 100 in the US is compiled from a combination of sales and airplay, and though Penny Lane (the double A flip-side) reached No.1, Strawberry Fields only got enough radio play to reach No.8. I suppose they could have used a different criterion to select their greatest hits, but with so many hits to choose from they couldn't help but exclude some favourites (Please Please Me, Twist & Shout, In My Life, and there is not a single song from from Sgt. Peppers). Still, this is the first time that such classics as She Loves You, Yesterday, Help!, Hey Jude, Get Back and Let It Be have all appeared on the same album. So if you don't own a Beatles album, this is the place to start, and it makes a great gift for anyone who hasn't updated their scratched vinyl records.