Profile for Dave Hoeltje > Reviews

Content by Dave Hoeltje

Dave Hoeltje (Cameron Park , CA United States)

The Underfall Yard
The Underfall Yard
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning., 19 July 2010
This review is from: The Underfall Yard (Audio CD)
It seems like I've been waiting 35 years for this release. I've not listened to a "prog" album continuously for two weeks in a long time and having never heard of Big Big Train before it has me wanting to explore their back catalog. And although I can't imagine them having recorded anything this brilliant before, I can't wait to find out.

Take the compositional skills and musical ability found on "Selling England-Wind/Wuthering" and "Yes Album-Relayer", throw in a tad of maybe 71-72 KC and middle period GG, add some of the best bits from a few of the more contemporary "neo-prog" bands (perhaps Anglagard, Porcupine Tree and Spocks Beard[very few best bits found in that cupboard I must say]), add a vocalist that understands melody and does not sound like a clone of Steve Walsh, James LeBrie or Sully Erna and for good measure throw in Dave Gregory (...makes me think I did not pay enough attention to XTC) and you've got "The Underfall Yard". At least in my 60 year old humble opinion. And I'm not some old pathetic geezer who only listens to Jimmy Buffet and thinks everything released by the Stones since "Exiles" is just wonderful either. I like to be challenged by music and these guys do just that.

This is one of a handful of recordings that I'll listen to until I drop, or at least until full-time senile dementia takes hold and I can't remember where I put my 2,000+ cd collection. It belongs in any proper music collection, not just the ones that belong to 56 year old shut-ins that have every "prog" recording released and still live in their mothers spare bedroom.

Dave Hoeltje