Profile for Catkin > Reviews

Graphics Alive
Graphics Alive
by Victionary

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Pictures!, 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Graphics Alive (Paperback)
Just the way I like books. There are lots of graphic artists visited in this book most producing images in the urban, graphical, cartoon, vector style.
Some of it seems quite dated already, but the book is a great place to turn when you've run out of inspiration. There's almost too much to look at, but it's a great addition to my book collection. I'll hold onto it even when it's a style time capsule!

Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Embroidery (Crafts)
Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Embroidery (Crafts)
by Chronicle Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed some nice ideas., 3 Sept. 2012
If you really want to try lots of embroidery techniques and have no idea how, this would be a great book for you.

The cover inspired me and so I brought the book thinking it'd be full of lots of lovely ideas and projects as I really like books with lots of interesting pictures. The cover project is probably the nicest to look at, the others are a bit boring. Although I really like the cross stitch ideas...quite on trend even now!

The first 3rd of the book is pictures of items you can make and the rest is very detail diagrams, techniques and tool and materiel lists. I'll defiantly keep this book, if I ever really decide to get into embroidery properly it'll be a great reference.

Howl's Moving Castle [DVD] [2005]
Howl's Moving Castle [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Chieko Baishô

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper, 2 Sept. 2012
This is probably my favorite Ghibli film. Like Spirited Away, it's more action adventure than the others and maybe a bit more grown up. The characters are all adorable. They each go through personal, and some physical, trials. None more than the main character Sophie, she makes a great hero because she's so 'normal' and yet develops through out the film to save the day.

The animation is amazing; glittering spells, wind swept meadows, walking castles, gloppy monsters: a visual treat. It's also just really funny.

The Character Howel is brilliant, and you can really see the bravado, metro-sexual traits of the Howle from the book coming through in this animation. This film is very different from the book but you get little reminders and the main characters traits translate well. (You don't need to know the book to watch the film, they are verrrry different.. If anything you'll be confused if you try and match up both plots. I was...)

Buy it! watch it. Keep it forever...

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Hosoda

3.0 out of 5 stars Time travel! Domesticated..., 2 Sept. 2012
It's about a girl who stumbles across a time traveling device while at school. The story follows her in discovering what the object can do, where it came from and how to use it in awkward social situations.

This is quite a domestic story, which I like. It's unusual to see something as immense as time travel through the perspective of a teenage girl navigating life and relationships. The story goes along at a nice pace. The animation is a style I really like in an anime film; clean cut and almost fresh and airy.

Not the best anime I've seen but defiantly not the worst. Just pleasant. I would watch it again.

Tekkonkinkreet [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Tekkonkinkreet [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael Arias

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Can't more Anime be like this?!, 2 Sept. 2012
As with all anime, I brought this as a bit of a gamble.(It could of been a Naruto- of which I went ahead and brought the box set of as I heard it was good. It's not.)
I'd never heard of this film before but the cover art was bold and colorful and the character design different from the kind of anime you usually see. (Big eyes and ridged expressions)

It's great! The plot follows an actual story line, which can be rare in animation that's as beautifully styled as this. All the characters are unique and believable, and the relationships are well portrayed. Even though the story revolves around the arrival of aliens in the two protagonists part of town it all feels quite 'real'. I like how the origin of the alien group isn't explained, you appreciate the story for what it is; a juncture in these kids lives, and you don't get bogged down in detailed explanations and annotations.

The scenery kind of reminds me of pop-up books. The style is flat but 3D and full of detail.

I don't want to big the film up too much, you should go into it with an open mind leave room to be pleasantly surprised!

Julie Samurai Girl
Julie Samurai Girl
by Paulo Von Vancano

5.0 out of 5 stars I like picture books :), 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Julie Samurai Girl (Paperback)
Like Japanese fashion, fun and games? Then you'll love this! (provided your answer to the first question was yes.) Julie manga-fies herself and the world to make unique photos and illustrations mashing together Japanese stereotypes and archetypes. Joy. The book is full of her images and they really inspire me to retro-cyber-punk-iffy my work. I like manga, i like photography i like making funny images that have no reason for being other than that they look nice (or interesting) and i think that's how julie works too. x

Origin - Spirits of the Past [DVD]
Origin - Spirits of the Past [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keiichi Sugiyama

3.0 out of 5 stars What's with the crop top?!, 9 Jun. 2009
What's that? A girl wakes up in a changed world of the future? And needs to be rescued by some happy go lucky teenage boy? Huh, Nature has risen against man at last?! An evil man wants to harness her unique gift for his own means?!? ....But will our heroes prevail?! :O

Ok, so it's not that original (a bit of a cliché) but i don't mind that. What hasn't been done before in film?

This film is well drawn; the character design simple but the beautifully detailed backgrounds make up the visuals. The story might have you yawning but the characters are over all engaging and there relationships are convincing. I did want to watch this film till the end, it had some nice ideas and the animation doesn't let it down. Worth a watch i say.

Sky Blue (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Sky Blue (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mun-saeng Kim
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Overcast - dull grey skies, 9 Jun. 2009
I saw this DVD on sale in a record store in town and was immediately drawn to the fantastic illustration on the front and the promise of further visual treats. I came back to check out the reviews online and saw a mixed reaction, but I decided to go for it anyway and ordered it. Big mistake.

True, the animation and attention to detail is amazing, there are some really beautiful scenes here, including a shot-out stained glass window and a glider chase, but that's about it. The character design, for me, was pretty ugly - big chins and too-long bodies, I was hoping they'd be drawn like the guy on the cover, oh well, a minor flaw I guess.

The biggest problem for me was not the plot (which was pretty thin and not very original) but the characters themselves. Like one reviewer here has said, I just did not care about any of them. They were totally flat, the dialogue was apalling and there was almost no genuine interaction between any of them. I found it very hard to care what happened to them and what they were doing, I only just managed to finish the film :p