Profile for Pipney Doodles > Reviews

Content by Pipney Doodles

Pipney Doodles

Page: 1 | 2
Canon PowerShot SX200 IS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best digital compact I have ever owned, 1 Jan 2011
I've owned various Canon compacts in the past 10 years, but this is easily the best I have ever owned. I was really disappointed with the last Canon IXUS I had, it was slow, the pictures weren't great and the settings were poor. I therefore opted for a Powershot and I am really pleased I did. This is a fantastic piece of equipment and well worth the money.

Zoom: the zoom range on this is incredible. Every time I go to a concert the people behind me comment on how good the photos are (as they can see it on the large LED screen). The photos aren't quite as clear at the very extreme end of the zoom but if you stick to the optical zoom rather than the digital zoom the pictures are very good. As it's 12.1 megapixels you then don't have a problem if you crop the photo to 'enlarge' the subject afterwards. I also haven't found there is any distortion (that is straight lines not being straight) at the widest angle of the zoom like on some other Canon compacts.

Flash: I was warned about the flash when I bought this camera as you can't stop it from popping up, however I haven't found this a problem. I've dropped it a couple of times whilst on and it has been fine (it's also taught me to put the wrist strap on!). I also find it useful to be able to hold down the flash, thus turning it off, without having to press any buttons or adjust the settings.

I also love that this has a manual mode so you can control most of the settings. It means this is a great alternative to a digital SLR when you are going somewhere (such as a concert or night out) when you don't want (or can't) to take the SLR. It's easy enough to change the settings and have a lot more control over your pictures. Mind you the automatic mode is pretty good.

I took it with me to Finland and managed to fall (with it in my pocket) into rather a lot of snow. It must have been covered in snow for a good hour, but there were no problems with it at all.

It doesn't have all of the features of an SLR or the newer cameras which are in between the compacts and the SLR, but then again it isn't an SLR, it's a compact. And for a compact it is excellent.

Catmate C50 5-Meal Automatic Feeder
Catmate C50 5-Meal Automatic Feeder

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but not tamper proof, 1 Jan 2011
I bought two of these to feed my two cats whilst I was away for the occasional weekend. I have found it difficult to get the two of them to open at roughly the same time as setting the time for lid to rotate revealing the food is not precise. I also have two very food curious cats and the first weekend I went away they obviously tried to get to the food and knocked the batteries out of the feeders meaning they didn't work! I was not impressed that there was no 'lid' for the battery compartment, however having taped the batteries in it has worked well.

Even though it has a 96 hour timer and 5 feeding compartments, realistically you can only use it to feed your animal four times once you have gone away as the first compartment is not covered. If your cat/dog is fed 2-3 times a day it is limiting.

For the money I would have expected more.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too tight across the toes, 1 Jan 2011
I had previously bought another pair of fly shoes and was impressed they fit as I have wide feet. I therefore bought these as they were similar, however they were far too tight across my toes to even try and wear them in.

Rome (AA City Maps) (AA City Maps)
Rome (AA City Maps) (AA City Maps)
by AA Publishing
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Map, 1 Jan 2011
I bought this purely as a map for my trip to Rome. It was clear and had all the major attractions on it. My friend bought a map whilst we were out there and we both agreed that this was the better one. It even had some suggestions on it for places to visit. Not all the information was up to date, but I didn't expect it to be as things can change so quickly and we had another guide for that. Once we had read up on where we wanted to go that day we left the guide and just took the map, thus cutting down on the stuff we needed to carry and as we were walking everywhere that was definitely a bonus!

Tuff-Luv - Rover digital camera / camcorder case cover bag in size: 1 / colour: Mocha / compatible with (Canon EOS EOS M, 100, 1200D, 100D, 700D, 60D, 70D, 7D, 6D, G16, G15, G1 X Mark II, S200, / 350D / 400D / 40D / 30D / 5D / 1000D / 450D / SX1 / 500D / 50D / SX10 / SX110 / SX120 / 7D, 1D, 5D, 1D c, 1D c, 1D x, / 1D / 550D / EOS 5D MARK II III IV, G16, SX510 HS, SX170 / SX30 IS / 60D, 650D, 6D / 1D Mark IV / 1100D / 600D / XA20, XA25, HFG30, 100D, 700D)
Offered by Tuff-Luv

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bag, 1 Jan 2011
I wanted a camera bag for my digital SLR that was totally boring and black/grey. This is perfect! It fits my camera with small lens attached. It also has space for my phone, extra memory cards, remote shutter release and filter. I use it whenever I want to take only one lens and am going out with friends, rather than on a photography trip. I also use it whilst on holiday as I can fit a small purse in as well.

It is definitely water resistant. I got caught in the rain for about three hours and it kept my camera dry, although the bag itself required some drying time afterwards. It didn't damage it however and still looks good a year on.

I just wish they did bigger ones as I have had to resort to a boring, but functional black bag to accommodate my growing set of lenses.

iphone 3gs car charger & iphone 3gs holder, car windscreen mount holder for iphone 3Gs 3g s & iphone 3g 3gs incar charger
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 1 Jan 2011
I bought this combination of holder and charger as it was a fantastically low price. However the phone holder broke within a week! The charger doesn't stay in the car socket, but does work. I think there are better deals out there.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little case, 1 Jan 2011
I love this case. I was really worried about protecting my iphone so wanted something that would keep it safe even if I dropped it. This case not only does that, but also has room for business cards or debit/credit cards if you wanted. I have had it over a year now and it is still in really good nick and has protected my phone on the several occasions I have dropped it. I have had loads of compliments on it and would definitely recommend it.

iGadgitz Black Eva Hard Case Cover for Western Digital My Passport Essential USB Portable External Hard Drives 160gb, 250gb & 320gb
Offered by iGadgitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not wide enough to fit the drive, 1 Jan 2011
I completely agree with the other reviews that have highlighted this case isn't actually wide enough to fit the external hard drive. I bought it purely for that reason and was annoyed to find it didn't quite fit. Mine does close and has space to hold the connecting cable as well so is ok, but if it wasn't so cheap I would have returned it.

Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery
Encyclopedia of Wire Jewellery
by Sara Withers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the techniques and tools, 1 Jan 2011
My mum has recently completed a jewellery making course and bought this book. She then introduced me to it over Christmas. As a complete beginner it was excellent. It covers the basic techniques and tools you need. Clearly you need to practise some of the techniques as they are not as easy as they look, but I wouldn't have known where to start if it hadn't been for the book. As another reviewer highlights not all of the pictures on the front are illustrated in the book, but Mum and I enjoyed figuring them out from the pictures.

I found this book so helpful I purchased it myself.

How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from your Digital Camera
by Tom Ang

4.0 out of 5 stars For Compact and SLR users, 1 Jan 2011
This isn't a really in depth guide, but it is never going to be for the price. It is a great introduction into the settings you can use to photograph different things. The is particularly useful when you don't know where to start - for example when taking picture of fireworks. While I found that the settings don't always give the desired effect I at least have a baseline so I can think about what I want to tweak.

The pictures are fantastic and provide inspiration on a variety of subjects. The best thing about the books is it isn't just for SLR users, it also includes ideas/settings for compact users, which isn't something I have come across a lot in other publications.

Page: 1 | 2