Profile for D C > Reviews

Content by D C

D C "Dingbatwangdoodle III" (Fakenham, England)

Best Birdwatching Sites in Norfolk
Best Birdwatching Sites in Norfolk
by Neil Glenn

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you need, 20 Feb 2012
As a Norfolk resident, I'm happy to confirm the good reports of this book which is never far from the glove box of my car. It strikes just the right balance between detail and acessibility - enabling you to make a quick, informed decision about what site to visit and when, what birds you're likely to see, and how best to get there. A must.

Portrait of the Fen Country
Portrait of the Fen Country
by Edward Storey

4.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical..., 24 Mar 2008
I was given this by my father. It had sat untouched on our bookshelves throughout my childhood until my wife and I moved to East Anglia recently and he saw fit to pass it on to me. My expectations were not high, I have to say...but I was very pleasantly surprised. Mr Storey's writing is beautiful, and while the book has certainly dated, what it loses in accuracy it gains in charm. This passage from the introduction should illustrate that Mr Storey is certainly not your run of the mill 'reminiscing old-timer':

"What a strange and bewildering place that classroom was where they tried to teach me that the world was round. I just couldn't believe it, for each day I saw the sun rise in the morning and set at night over a world that was as flat as a chess-board....I felt that if I could have walked to the edge of the fields outside our town I would have been able to look down into a vast, deep blue space where daily the new-made clouds were born"

See what I mean?

USB Mini Optical Retractable Mouse 800dpi 3 Button Scroll Wired Mice - Ideal for PC or Laptop - Silver/Black
Offered by Direct eTail
Price: 2.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Excuse my cynicism..., 27 Feb 2008
I haven't bought this mouse so I don't know whether it's good or not, but do you trust these two reviews? - not sure I do. Neither reviewer has reviewed anything before or since and both read like advertising so..

Guess it's up to us to decide isn't it...but if something costs **** all, it's probably worth **** all!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2008 1:15 PM BST

Shakedown Street (Expanded + Remastered)
Shakedown Street (Expanded + Remastered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Over their dead body........., 20 Aug 2006
Please don't buy this - unless you're a grateful dead obsessive who owns everything else they've ever produced that is.

I do love them...... but, my god, this is dire.....the nadir, the pits.....walk away and spend your hard earned cash on live dead, workingmans dead, american beauty, europe 72, aoxomoxoa - all of them masterpieces.

Shakedown Street
Shakedown Street

1.0 out of 5 stars ON NO ACCOUNT BUY THIS RECORD, 9 July 2004
This review is from: Shakedown Street (Audio CD)
Unless you're a grateful dead obsessive who owns everything else they've ever produced that is.

Blows Against the Empire
Blows Against the Empire
Offered by Slowburn Media Ltd
Price: 11.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream On, 9 July 2004
I must admit to a long standing fondness for this album. I originally owned it on incredibly crackly vinyl and played it to death when I was 17. Now that I'm regrettably more mature I'm happy to stand by my youthful opinion of it. The Airplane were bombastic, and the later Starship bland but this sits happily somewhere in between. Of course the whole premise of the lyrics is absurd - most of Kanters lyrics are - but what saves it is the great playing and it's relaxed charm and humour. I urge you to give it a listen and drift away into sci fi heaven circa 1970 (Apollo and all)

Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
by John Feinstein

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same, 8 July 2004
If you've read feinstein before then you'll know his style - and this is more of the same. If this is your first venture then 'a good walk spoiled' would be a better starting point. If you're interested in golf's administrators and 'golf politics' as much as the players, then this is the book for you.

Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
by Peter Guralnick
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars You will find no better book than this on Elvis, 8 July 2004
Peter Guralnick captures the feel of the times and the excitement of elvis' rise to success with effortlessly readable prose. He obviously talked to everyone who was anyone in elvis' life, and gives us the benefit of countless small insights as a result of what must have been years of research. I can't praise this book enough. Even if you're not an Elvis fan please give it a try - you won't be disappointed. ( and no, I don't work for the publishers!)

Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children
Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children
by Michael Newton
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelmed by literary references..........., 19 Feb 2004
If you're as fascinated by this subject as I am for all that it can tell us about human development, as well as for the human interest and pathos of the individual stories then you'll be sadly disappointed by this book. The author leaves no stone unturned in attempting to locate every possible literary quotation on the subject, and he seems keener to dwell on the life stories of Swift and other literary luminaries than on the children concerned. The first section particularly is an exercise in literary padding to fill out an historical outline which is meagre to say the least. With all his attempts to put the way these children were seen in the context of their times we lose sight of the children themselves and of what their particular problems might tell us about humanity. We also cease to appreciate them as individuals when they are used merely as a mirror for their times. I would recommend 'Genie: A Scientific Tragedy' as a much better attempt at exploring this area. It not only focuses on the particular case of Genie but also covers historic wild children with greater sensitivity and insight.