Profile for A Customer > Reviews

Content by A Customer

A Customer

The Hunter-Gatherer Way
The Hunter-Gatherer Way

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that brings together the strands - "bypassing Western thinking", 28 July 2013
I have read books 10 times as long as this, that have given me much less food for thought. One of the first things i've taken is a lesson in greed - that taking too much is a lack of faith in Nature, in being provided for. I now believe that applies to greed in general. There'll be many others as i read and re-read this wonderful book.

Schaum's Outline of  French Vocabulary (Schaum's Outline Series)
Schaum's Outline of French Vocabulary (Schaum's Outline Series)
by Crocker

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as the grammar one in the series., 27 April 2011
I bought this volume having devoured the Schaum's Grammar Outline, so I came with high expectations. I haven't yet found this book to be immediately engaging, but time will tell. 4 stars because I can't specifically find fault with it.

The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living
The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living
by Mark Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 27 April 2011
As a source of inspiration I found this book to be excellent. It gave me direct things that I could take away and try. I've been doing a little bartering at the veg shop, lo and behold! it's a much nicer way of doing business. It really has built that personal link where exchanging money for goods just doesn't. That's one mere example. There're many more. Practical tips for frugal, more sane living. If you're in any way considering buying it, then you really should. Shame Amazon doesn't do barter.

Permaculture Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
Permaculture Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
by David Holmgren

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading., 22 Mar 2011
Having been interested in permaculture for a year or so, i've heard the Holmgren principles bandied about. This book explains, in fairly simple terms mostly, the rationale behind each of the 12 principles. At times it is heavy on scientific stuff, but it goes to show how deeply it's all been thought through. It's been really helpful in putting my mind at ease about certain things, there's a particular passage where he talks about the use of fossil fuels as being evil. When in fact it's not, but we over-use them. So it helps to know that you're not expected to dig 3 acres by hand, get a machine in and do it. It's a one time thing and it can be justified. And another passage where he compares solar cells to photosynthesis and makes the point that the embodied energy of the things doesn't really match green leaves for efficiency, after billions of years of evolution. So grow trees and burn them for electricity. At least that's what I think he's saying. It's a real head-scratcher of a book and something i'll keep coming back to over the years i'm sure, and a good one to give people to stimulate a bit of conversation on these issues, being as important as they are.

Schaum's Outline of French Grammar, 5ed (Schaum's Outline Series)
Schaum's Outline of French Grammar, 5ed (Schaum's Outline Series)
by Mary Coffman Crocker

5.0 out of 5 stars Systematic and thorough., 22 Mar 2011
I came across this book after learning English grammar on my teacher training course, and realising that learning the grammar is essential to learning a new language. So I tried a couple of books to that end, including Grammaire en clair, which is great in it's own way....but this! If you don't mind doing loads of writing to practice all the forms then this could be for you. It'll teach you a point and then give you a lot of practice to drill it into you. Exactly what I want, that's how I learn best anyway. My French has improved massively since starting this book, and I don't think i'm a quarter of the way through. Obviously, you'll need to supplement it with other things to break up the potential for tedium, but a useful tool nonetheless.

The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and Other Stories
The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and Other Stories
by Jack London

4.0 out of 5 stars Glorious., 24 Nov 2010
I loved reading this book. I'm going through a bit of a phase of wanting to live and forage in the wild! Haha! So this book really struck a chord with me. I could really imagine being a dog returning to the wild! Excellent. Great book, if that's your kind of thing.

First English Grammar
First English Grammar
by Celia Blissett

1.0 out of 5 stars Over rated., 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: First English Grammar (Paperback)
This book was recommended reading for my Cert TESOL. It only cost a couple of pounds or so but I really found it rather useless. I didn't find the style or examples very useful at all. It's quite outdated and there are much more user friendly and classroom friendly books. To learn grammar I used Parrott, which was very informative and well laid out. Other people on the course are glowing about Murphy. I wouldn't recommend anyone even bother spending £2 on this book. Get something a bit more up to date. I'm wondering if there are grammar books out there that have good classroom activities in as well. Not just learning grammar for yourself, but how do you teach it.