Profile for Sarah H. > Reviews

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange and wonderful, 30 July 2008
Written from the perspective of an autistic teenager named Christopher, this wonderful and engaging book is short, easy to read, full of insight, and touching. You will, however, find it irritating at times. But then, what great book isn't?

The plot revolves around the murder of a neighbor's poodle, rather gruesomely discovered, by the teenager. He trys to wrap his mind around who could have done this, and it will come as quite a surprise to the reader who actually committed the deed. But what is even more remarkable is Christopher's way of thinking--totally unlike a "normal" person yet somehow making sense. Filled with puzzles and odd references, this is a book to keep you thinking. It's also terribly entertaining.

"Curious Incident" has to be, hands down, the most unusual book of this or any other century. It's rare to come across a book that is so unique in form, function, and emotion, that if you haven't read it, you will probably feel slightly irritated that you've waited this long. I've also read the authors "A Spot of Bother" which I liked, and "Barring Some Unforeseen Accident" which was totally great and strange as well. But of the books I've most recently read, "Curious" wins the contest. If you read one book this year, make it this one.

Trust No One: The Glamorous Life and Bizarre Death of Doris Duke
Trust No One: The Glamorous Life and Bizarre Death of Doris Duke
by Ted Schwarz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, 30 July 2008
What you need to know about this book:

First, it is simply fascinating and a greatly researched book, taking you inside the world of Doris Duke and all that surrounded her. The authors have done a remarkable amount of research and really covered a lot of ground here. There are vast amounts of background on Duke's family and while you might think at first that it's not relevant, just wait for it is.

The book is sad in that it makes you realize that money doesn't buy everything. One thing I don't like about it and other books about this woman, is that they paint a portrait of someone who is completely vapid. Nothing could be further from the truth. Duke was an accomplished pianist, playing in disguise in nightclubs and lounges. She was also an orchid grower and actually "invented" some new species. Also, she could be extremely giving. Did she love luxury? Yes. But she was also human.

Skechers Women's Bikers Luxe Ballerina
Skechers Women's Bikers Luxe Ballerina

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare, 24 Jun 2008
Rarely have any shoes I've bought LOOKED so goo and FELT so comfortable. From the moment I put these on I loved them. They're amazing and I'm going to buy two more pair since you never know when you'll find a good shoe. IMHO they're absolutely stylish and I've had tons of compliments on them! Loved these shoes!!!!

City Of God (Cidade De Deus) [DVD] [2003]
City Of God (Cidade De Deus) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Alexandre Rodrigues
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Planning a trip to Brazil?, 23 Jun 2008
I would love to give this film five stars because I watched it all the way through and came out the other end with something. My reason for four stars is simply that it is one of the most depressing, violent, and graphic movies I have ever seen. I almost turned it off several times, so gratituous did the violence seem, but, deciding to stick it out, found it to be a remarkable film. I'm saying this because there are bound to be those who will not be able to watch this without knowing that the ending is fantastic. If you think you know the world, you don't. If you think you've seen poverty and evil, you haven't. If you think your life is bad, it isn't. How there could be any "hell" as this on earth is almost impossible to imagine. The ghetto's of Rio are truly worse than anything one can believe and the fact that the enormous amount of children are perpetuating the violence is even more bizarre. This is sort of a "Lord of the Flies" times 1,000 and the entire film can be seen as a metaphor for the world I suppose. The acting and directing are perfect, but beware: if you're not one to look at violence and senseless killing, this is not a movie for you. While my review may not want to make you rush out and see this, you should. This is a movie you should know. You might not love it, but you should know it exists.

Tuesdays With Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson
Tuesdays With Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson
by Mitch Albom
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite "Alboms", 20 Jun 2008
Face it: this book is never going to be a classic, but it does have some immediate appeal to the world at large mainly because people are looking for hope, especially today. It's a quick read and I enjoyed it. If you've seen the movie, you've pretty much seen the book. I do have to say that it inspired me to get out and do more in the community I live in--sometimes this worked out, sometimes it did not. The point was, I learned for "doing" and the book helped me get into that frame of mind. I've read the other Albom books and this is by far his best. Second on my list would be "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Outside the box, 1 Jun 2008
This book is really geared more toward America than any other country. But one can still take a lesson or two from it. Initially I was scared away, thinking this was going to be a 900 page door-stop. But it's actually quite small, especially to be co-authored by two guys. The facts are staggering and while it made me think I recently read a book I enjoyed even more titled THE GRIP OF DEATH which was just fantastic and a look at money and how we're affected by it. Even so, FREAKONOMICS is a book that should be looked at. I wasn't crazy about the writing, but the information was most useful, if not slightly depressing. Lately I've been interspersing my fiction reads with non-fiction books. I may stop now.

The Grip of Death: A Study of Modern Money, Debt Slavery and Destructive Economics
by Michael Rowbotham
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprise all around, 1 Jun 2008
I wasn't expecting this book to be quite so good. First of all, there have been so many written on this subject and I had NO idea who Michael Rowbotham was or is. But reading the reviews intrigued me and so I bought it with a lot of other fiction and non-fiction books. From the get-go I was drawn into the book by Rowbotham's writing ability and hard economic truths. You should be warned though, that this is a depressing book as it explains just how things work and if you're not prepared to have your eyes opened, you might be in for a shock. I can't imagine the banking world is happy about this book as it exposes the corporate greed and fraud that have been going on for years. The book also explains how we've come to think of money and gives you some real insight into how YOU are reacting to the world of money and how you use it. Couple this with his take on countries with the largest national debts and what that means and how they got there, and you have a great book that will stop you in your tracks. This should be required reading in all schools, regardless of nationality. The End.

P.S. I Love You
P.S. I Love You
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite author, 1 Jun 2008
This review is from: P.S. I Love You (Paperback)
If you're a Ceclia Ahern fan, then you know what I'm about to say. If you're not one, wait. I'd start with another book of hers before this one and DON'T SEE THE MOVIE!!!!!! Try IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW or even THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES before reading P.S. I LOVE YOU.

My reasons? This is still a good book, but it's not her best. And it's not like her other works at least in my mind. While I LOVE this author, I did find the writing style a bit repetitive and felt like she had "dumbed-down" some of the book. This opinion came after reading her other works first. So my recommendation is to start with something else and then go back to this if you want.

This was Ahern's first book and you can't fault her for not getting it just right, but it is still an okay novel.

Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club)
Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club)
by James Frey

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 1 Jun 2008
I read this book after all the hoopla had died down--you know, the "It's real, no it's not" and all the Oprah trappings that surrounded it. So I went into it expecting it to be fiction and that was okay with me. Knowing that, I found it captivating and the story fascinated me like a bad accident. I would have given this four stars were it not for the fact that the writing style put me off a bit. I kept thinking that it was supposed to be that way because the guy was so messed up, but found it jarring. As a work of fiction it did have a beginning, middle, and end, and there were some nice moments. I just would have liked the writing to flow more. Don't be put off of the subject material either as anyone who has had trouble with drugs or alcohol will understand this book. I normally like lighter more fun reads, but this was a nice change of pace. If you want fun, read anything by Cecelia Ahern----a great, great author!

Thanks for the Memories
Thanks for the Memories
by Cecelia Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Cecelia is at it again, and we should all be glad, 9 May 2008
Cecelia Ahern, author of PS, I LOVE YOU and the fantastic WHERE RAINBOWS END has given us what is possibly her best book: THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

Protagonist in this marvelous book is a woman by the name of Joyce Conway. She has this uncanny knack for remembering things that, well, shouldn't be there. Disturbing as this is, things get worse (as they should in any novel that's to keep your interest). Her life starts to fall apart, especially after an accident she has.

The plot of THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES will seem contrived and far-fetched to some, but think about it: when was the last time you read anything that wasn't at least a little unbelievable--that's why we read and watch movies. If you want real life, blow-by-blow, go out and live it. If you want a great story, buy this book.

I have to say that this is one of the best novels I've come across in years. Of the three books I've recently read that made me laugh, cry, and THINK, this was one of the best. The other two were NAKED by David Sedaris, which is VERY funny and at the same time sad, and the new novel BARRING SOME UNFORESEEN ACCIDENT--totally off the wall and worth every cent; really great book with twists and turns that you WON'T see coming for a mile. If you're not a Cecelia Ahern fan yet, and haven't read THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, you might start with her WHERE RAINBOWS END as it too is a great story.

Page: 1 | 2