Profile for Mrs S > Reviews

Content by Mrs S

Mrs S "suepolly" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Attenbury Emeralds: Lord Peter Wimsey's First Case
The Attenbury Emeralds: Lord Peter Wimsey's First Case
by Dorothy L Sayers

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Gem" of a book, 14 Sept. 2010
I really enjoyed A Presumption of Death and approached this novel a little warily. Well, personally I thought this book well on a par with the writers last Wimsey effort and, to be truthfull, I couldn't put it down. The story rambles on in true Sayers style but, I must admit that I was sorry to hear about the fate of young Gerry, and her views on the diminishimg power of the aristocracy are quite accute. So, not to give away an more of the plot, can we expect another story about Lord Peter (as he prefers to be called) and his lady? Please!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2010 12:34 AM BST

Stargate SG-1: Roswell
Stargate SG-1: Roswell
by Sonny Whitelaw
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Book, 15 Feb. 2008
Yes, it is a crazy book. In fact is is so crazy that I could not put it down. So, that must be good - read it for yourself but, be warned, pick a long weekend and just relax and enjoy.

A Matter of Trust
A Matter of Trust
by Diana Palmer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down, 4 Jan. 2008
If you already own The case of the Mesmerizing boss or The case of the Confirmed Batchelor - DO NOT BUY THIS
Unfortunately I did - imagine my disapointment to find it a compilation of two books I already had. Nuf said

The Inspector Alleyn Mysteries [DVD] [2007]
The Inspector Alleyn Mysteries [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Patrick Malahide
Offered by Gift_Of_Sound

4.0 out of 5 stars one episode missing, 7 Nov. 2007
An excellent series well worth buying although the region 2 set has come a little late for me as i purchased the region 1 sets last year!
HOWEVER - I seem to remember the pilot episode as bing Artists in Crime with Simon Williams playing the part of Inspector Alleyn?
This was not on the region 1 set and does not look as though it's on the region 2 set either. Pity as it was a good episode for a pilot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 5:39 PM BST

Surgical Spirit - The Complete First Series [DVD] [1989]
Surgical Spirit - The Complete First Series [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Nichola McAuliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars Eagerly anticipated - dreadful quality, 1 Jun. 2007
Imagine my joy to find this gem finally released on DVD - YES!!

Imagine my horror to find the transfer to DVD looks as though it has been done by an ametur who did not have a clue! The lip sync is totally out - if you do not watch the picture i suppose it is ok but otherwise this is terrible. It looks as though they have used the original transmission tapes - which are horribly grainy - and left the commercial break logo in the middle of each episode!

5 stars for content

no stars for the quality of the transfer

Result 3 stars only - shame really - i hope Season 2 is better.

HAWKS (1988)
HAWKS (1988)
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Gem, 24 May 2007
This review is from: HAWKS (1988) (VHS Tape)
I loved this film! It made me laugh and cry, somtimes both together! I will not spoil the plot - if you wnat to know what happens then read the reviews for this on Amazon.com.

My further comments? GET IT OUT ON DVD - NOW!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2014 2:53 PM GMT

The Kirov Ballet - Giselle [DVD] [2001]
The Kirov Ballet - Giselle [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Galina Mezentseva

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad begining - brilliant end., 12 April 2003
It has taken me a long time to watch this ballet. I started on it about 18months ago and have never passed act 1! The music is great, the costumes colourful the dancing OK. The prima ballerina, who is supposed to be a young village maiden, looked to be an ancient anorexic! It totally put me off and I shelved the disc.
1 star.
Recently I dusted the disc off and played it for the music while I was working so I finally got to the ghosts.
Gain 3 stars!
The ancient anorexic suddenly fits to perfection – she was wonderful – light airy dancing, just as a ghost should be.
The Kirov’s dark, depressing stage also suited the mood – So, if at first you do not enjoy – keep trying.

Don Quixote [DVD] [2001]
Don Quixote [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ American Ballet Theatre

4.0 out of 5 stars Lavish production, 2 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Don Quixote [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
After La Fille Mal Gardee, Don Quixote was a shock. Talk about a lavish OTT production from the American Ballet
Theatre. Every thing looked so big and bright, the costumes and backgrounds superb in detail and design.
The music was wonderful, the dancing, in parts, was very stiff if not wooden and some of the 'happy crowd scenes'
Looked anything but with only the 2 Principal dancers ( Cynthia Harvey and Mikhail Baryshnikov )
looking as if they were enjoying themselves. In fact if it were not for the superb dancing of Harvey and ( especially )
Baryshnikov this production would not even rate the 4 stars I am giving it.
So, slightly disappointed - I will now try the third title - Giselle.
Of the DVD itself - the soundtrack was crisp and the picture clear, if not a bit bright in places
- I wonder is this has been transferred from NTSC.?

La Fille Mal Gardée [DVD] [1981] [2001]
La Fille Mal Gardée [DVD] [1981] [2001]
Dvd ~ Lesley Collier

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful nonsense, 15 Oct. 2001
I am not a Ballet fan at all, in fact I have never seen a ballet on TV through, but I love the music, so ---
I bought 3 ballets to try; La Fille Mal Gardee was the first one to be shot down.
Boy was I wrong! It is delightful.! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole performance from the star-crossed lovers
to the dancing chickens. The Covent Garden stage looked light and airy, the dancers bounced their way
From scene to scene, it just seemed so much FUN with the audience and dancers enjoying themselves.
(Not to mention the Collier/ Coleman scenes of stolen kisses)!
My verdict - Great. I now have to try DVD number 2 and go on to Don Quixote.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2011 6:31 PM GMT

Soul Music from Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] [1997]
Soul Music from Terry Pratchett's Discworld [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money., 19 Sept. 2001
As my VHS copy of Soul Music has just about expired I have been waiting for the DVD version with great anticipation. What a let down! I was gutted to find, not the movie version as Wyrd Sisters, but the TV single episode version only. I did not want to ask for every episode to be played nor for a review of what happened in the previous episode.! This is OK if you are watching once a week BUT....... I can only live in hope that someone will read this and say 'Hey you got a faulty copy'! -- Dream on. If you want the movie version, stick to VHS as I consider this DVD a waste of time and money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2009 7:04 PM BST