Profile for Ruffnote > Reviews

Content by Ruffnote

Ruffnote (London)

The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal
The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping insight to the human condition past and present., 8 Nov. 2012
I first read this book over twenty years ago as a undergraduate and found it groundbreaking in its breadth and scope concerning the human race, it's evolution in relation to the other major animal groups and how this human evolution made us the dominant species on Earth even with all our "quirks and inherent weakness".
It was easy to understand and a very persausive argument, pretty much taking up where Darwin left off but in a much more understandable fashion while going into depth about why we react and act as we do.

Since I intially read this and the other books in the series, there has been some academic criticism about various assertions the book makes. Mainly about what it says about humans, our general behaviour patterns and the reasons for them.
However, for me it is still almost like a "bible" of scientific common sense in terms of it's explanation of many aspects of human behaviour that I still continue to experience in the real world today.I still feel Morris is "onto something" with his remarkable insights to the human condition, how it relates to the animal world and how we have managed to adapt our animal nature to the complex "man made" enormous cityscapes and nation groupings of humans today.
Whether as an argument for Human behaviour it will continue to makes sense in times to come I have no idea but compared to other explanations for human behaviour such as Freud and other "Psycho babble" it for me is much more plausible.

Read it! You may be suprised!