Profile for J. Threadgold > Reviews

Content by J. Threadgold

J. Threadgold "JT" (UK)

Alice's Cookbook (New Voices in Food)
Alice's Cookbook (New Voices in Food)
by Alice Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice's Cook Book, 10 May 2011
A new voice in food worth listening to. I dithered as to whether to buy this book for quite a while, but my cookery book habit got the better of me. I'm so glad it did. What a fresh innovative book. Wonderful, uncomplicated food, great photography and a warm, friendly dialogue. Divided into occasions such as Walk on the Downs with a picnic lunch or Faded Summer kitchen Supper. Favourites include Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cups with Scooping biscuits and Staffordshire Oatcake with Ham and Gruyere. Looking forward to Alice Hart's next cook book.

The Skinny French Kitchen
The Skinny French Kitchen
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry does it again, 4 May 2011
Harry Eastwood does it again. It's all about taste. Cutting calories so long as it still tastes as good or better. I agree about the choux pastry it does make you wonder why the original recipe has so much butter when it tastes so good without and the macarons are sublime. All the French classics are in here- tried and tested over again until Harry is sure she has it just right. The photography captures the mood perfectly. One of my favourite cookery books of the moment.

Gizzi's Kitchen Magic
Gizzi's Kitchen Magic
by Gizzi Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Most used cookbook in my kitchen, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Gizzi's Kitchen Magic (Hardcover)
I was a little wary of this book thinking that it was just going to be another celebrity cook rehashing tired recipes. It sat on my shelves for a couple of months before I really took any notice of it BUT- every single recipe I have tried from it (and that is almost all of them!) has been fantastic- easy to follow and absolutely foolproof- love it! Can't wait for Gizzi's next one...

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache: The ultimate feel-good book of natural cakes that taste naughty
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry does it again, 11 Oct 2009
I love this Harry Eastwood- there I have said it- this book hasn't been off the kitchen worktop since it arrived- the recipes I have tried have all been gorgeous- we especially like the coconut lime and blueberry squares- easy to follow great recipes and a genius touch of humour- fab book cant wait for the next one!!

Britain's Coastline
Britain's Coastline
by NA
Edition: Calendar

1.0 out of 5 stars barcodes, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Britain's Coastline (Calendar)
Probably would have been okay if this is what I had ordered - what I ordered was a Thelwell Calendar

Be a Beautiful Bride: Walk up the aisle in style
Be a Beautiful Bride: Walk up the aisle in style
by Colour Me Beautiful

2.0 out of 5 stars waste of money, 9 July 2009
I bought this hoping for some useful tips on looking my best for my wedding- at best the advice was blatently obvious- (yes I probably will look better with makeup on!!) at worst sketchy and confusing (what happens if you fall between two colour types?).
Based around set colour types of Warm, Cool, Soft, Light, Deep and Clear and set body types eg Hourglass, triangle, rectangle, column etc it gives advice on the right colour white to choose (try going down to your local wedding dress shop and saying yes I like this one but can I have it in oyster shell or calamine) and the right dress shape and details- save your money- take your best friend and go dress shopping and try dresses on until you both say "that's the one!!" as for the hair and makeup advice- play about with your hair until you find a style that suits you and wear some makeup on your wedding day- save your money - there is enough to spend it on if you are getting married.