Profile for Julie Lapworth > Reviews

Easy Jams, Chutneys and Preserves
Easy Jams, Chutneys and Preserves
by John Harrison

1.0 out of 5 stars John where precisely did I go wrong, 28 May 2014
I have many of John Harrison's books so thought I would try Easy Jams Chutneys and Preserves
My first recipe was lemon curd as I have made it before using Nigel Slater's recipe.
I fallowed his instructions to the letter even though I did think it was rather a lot of sugar

4 large lemons
6 eggs
1lb caster sugar
4oz butter unsalted

After about 20 mins staring i realized it wasn’t thickening so added another egg yoke another 15 mins went by and still nothing so I added another egg yoke and still nothing.
This recipe clearly doesn’t work and has not been properly tested before going to print and I am very upset. I am living on minimum wag to feed three kids and cannot afford to waste 6 to eight eggs or 1lb of caster sugar which are expensive.

A Dark Imagined Bristol
A Dark Imagined Bristol

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Imagined Bristol, 13 Nov. 2013
A first-rate book, I love getting my husband to read the stories to me as I sit in bed with a hot water bottle and steaming mug of cocoa! Positively blissful in the winter evenings.

Ditching Diets: How to lose weight in a way you can maintain
Ditching Diets: How to lose weight in a way you can maintain
by Gillian Riley

1.0 out of 5 stars A fat girl’s nightmare Auntie, 23 Aug. 2013
I didn’t feel this book was of any help to me or would it be to anyone with a weight problem. In truth I read the book twice but if someone asked me to outline what its primary message was I would be struggling. It amazingly, seems to be that you should just choose not to over eat before each meal.
It feels as though it’s been written by your kindly Aunt who takes you to one side at a family wedding and asks you if you have ever tried “not eating so much my dear”
“Oh, ok thank you ill give that a try Aunt Gillian but can you tell me where the free bar is as I now need to drown myself in vodka shots”
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 9:52 AM BST

The Anger Workbook For Teens: Activities to Help You Deal With Anger and Frustration (Teen Instant Help)
by Raychelle Lohmann

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for teens, 16 July 2013
If truth be told this book is for a much younger child. I bought it for my 13 year old and its fare too young for her. More suited for a 9-10 year old.

How to Feed Your Family for £5 a Day
How to Feed Your Family for £5 a Day
by Bernadine Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernadine Lawrence your amazing!, 5 April 2013
This book is amazing I only wish Bernadine Lawrence would write some more books she is amazing! I have made many of her recipes and they are delicious inexpensive and enjoyed by all the family and the money I’m spending on food has gone right down. This book is a must buy!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2013 2:50 PM BST