Profile for John Paul > Reviews

Content by John Paul

John Paul "John Paul" (London, UK)

ONE HP P1102w High Quality Remanufactured toner cartridge CE285A replacement for HP printers M1132MFP, M1212NF, P1100, P1102, P1102w by Printing Pleasure PREMIUM PRODUCTS
Offered by Printing Saver

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Mar. 2015
Product works great, very quick delivery. Thank you!

Healthbeds High Profile Luxury Cooltex Talalay Latex Pillow
Healthbeds High Profile Luxury Cooltex Talalay Latex Pillow

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent pillow!, 13 Feb. 2014
This pillow is as good as the old Dunlopillo that it replaced. The only drawback is that the latex smell takes awhile to go off but the comfort makes that worthwhile & the pong is not as bad as memory foam. After having this kind of pillow it's impossible to go back to an ordinary one. I always see if my local shops can match Amazon & in this case I got a better price.

Happy 70th Birthday! Photo Frame Gift 5 x 3.5"
Happy 70th Birthday! Photo Frame Gift 5 x 3.5"
Offered by EazyDeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but very well made!, 10 Aug. 2013
I bought this frame as a present for my dad, it's really well made and looks great. Don't be caught out by the dimensions though, it's for the smallest size of photographic print, 5x3 inches.

Acer Aspire XC Desktop PC (AMD A6 3620 2.2GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, AMD Graphics, Windows 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good machine BUT no VGA connection! Tricky to get the connector and lead right., 10 Aug. 2013
This is a very fast machine, it's reasonably but not that quiet and the size is really useful. It has Windows 8 on it, which is taking some getting used to but then so will all machines shipping from now on that aren't Chromebook.

There was a serious issue when it arrived, unfortunately the VGA connector on the back of the machine is blocked off and doesn't work and it took a few days to get a converter block to plug into one of the other ports, paid for by Amazon, so that I could use the monitor I already have. I have the screen working now but my original VGA lead produced a yellowish tinge to it, a second was the same. only a third which had a pin missing in the right place finally worked.

The connector was a StarTech DVI to VGA M/F Cable Adapter. I'm sorry but I don't know what the kind of VGA cable is called with the pin missing in the correct place, it was an old lead from way in the past.

On the Acer website this machine is shown as having a VGA connection, why the ones supplied to Amazon don't is beyond me, especially as it's being sold as a package without a screen. The Amazon listing should make the lack of a VGA connection clear, as it's something I certainly expected.

Amazon's service only got going once I threatened to take my £300 odd worth of business elsewhere and asked for a conversion connector to solve the problem. The Acer helpline 24 hour e-mail took nearly twice as long as should have done to respond, there chat line couldn't help with a suggested conversion connector, their telephone helpline charges a premium rate and Amazon actually sent me a replacement machine rather than try and contact Acer direct about the problem I was having. Luckily the converter block arrived before the replacement and I was able to decline the delivery.

Selected Poems
Selected Poems
by Sharon Olds

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of a great poets work, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Selected Poems (Paperback)
I was prompted to write a short review by the ridiculous one star rating it has so far received on Amazon. I have had this book for years, along with several of Sharon Olds collections of work. Amongst many other prizes, she has picked up the TS Elliot award here in the UK. The work is wide ranging, very intense, very personal and for some might be too confessional and close to home to be comfortable with. The subject matter, the concerns of a woman writer, often overlooked in Western literature, does not detract from the sheer quality of the writing. These are crafted, technically brilliant pieces of writing that connect with readers because of the universal themes of relationships and family she so fearlessly takes on. Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 7:15 AM BST

Instant Vegas Movie Studio +DVD: VASST Instant Series
Instant Vegas Movie Studio +DVD: VASST Instant Series
by Douglas Spotted Eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable guide, 26 July 2012
This book has been an invaluable learning tool and helped me to pick up the knowledge needed to get to grips with Sony Vegas. Not all of the sections have proved relevant but the information is well organised and made problem solving straightforward. Well written and highly recommended!

64-LED Video Camera Light for Canon EOS 100D 550D 600D 650D,700D 1100D,1200D,70D 60D,50D,40D,7D,6D,5D,SX50,SX500,SX510 SX520 Nikon P520,D7100,D7000,D5300 D5200,D5100,D5000,D3100,D3200,D3300,L830 L820,FUJI FinePix S6800,S8600,HS50 HS30 SL1000 X-S1,OLYMPUS SP800,E30,E3,E5,Pentax K5,K30,K50,K500,Panasonic FZ72 FZ62 FZ200 DSLR/SLR & Camcorders.
Offered by BV-electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not good for the price, 26 July 2012
I have a decent torch, I even have a flash bracket but a video light? Well not really. It seems a nice idea for not much money but when it comes down to it the design of this thing is flawed, the cover over the LEDs doesn't diffuse their light making it impossible to use to film people. It doesn't throw out that much light but by the time you've elastic banded or taped over a make shift diffuser so your subject doesn't have 64 points of light burnt into their retinas you might as well not bother with the thing.

Kiwifotos Lens Mount Adapter: Allows Canon FD Lenses to be used on Olympus Pen E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-PM1, E-PM2 / OM-D E-M5
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value piece of kit you could possibly buy - amazing!, 13 Feb. 2012
I bought this adapter so that I could use my 20 year old plus Canon FD lenses. Because of the sensor on the Olympus Epl 1 the focal lengths of the lens doubles, so I find myself with a fast 1.8 100mm portrait and and a 2.8 56mm standard lens in my kit and though both the zooms I bought with the Olympus are excellent they don't, in my opinion, match the all glass primes from the past. The adapter is very easy to use, the lens gets mounted on it and the it goes on to the camera body like any other lens would, everything is manual from then onwards, which is a joy, I've been using aperture priority or A mode on the camera and then you can set the aperture on the lens or with the on/off ring completely open it up. Of course with such fast lenses, useful in low light, you get wonderful blurred out backgrounds, especially with flash. Using a monopod or tripod the video looks great too and manually focusing results in less noise on the soundtrack. The manual focusing is more straight forward than you'd think using the magnifying option which is on the right hand fn button, which zooms into the area you've put the focusing box over.

Because of the earlier review I dug out my old Vivitar 70-150 zoom with collar fixing, I didn't find any issues with it being loose, it is heavy though so the connection is not as solid at the two Cannon lenses, definitely usable but it'd be better to stick with the Cannon primes, which if you haven't got them already can be picked up really cheaply on e-bay. If you've got the lenses then paying out just over £20 for this item is an absolute no brainer!Absolutely recommended.

Olympus PEN E-PL1 For Dummies
Olympus PEN E-PL1 For Dummies
by Julie Adair King

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all levels, 6 Jan. 2012
Though I used film slr cameras for many years and a point and shoot digital camera I still found the Olympus Pen E-PL1 tricky to totally master at first, so this book, which is much better than the manual that comes with the camera, is proving invaluable as a full introduction to it and when I need it a reference too.If you're a beginner then this book will get you off the i-Auto mode and get you enjoying the possibilities what I am finding to be a great little camera.

Scrabble Interactive 2007 Edition (PC CD)
Scrabble Interactive 2007 Edition (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Why has Vista made my old software obsolete?, 17 Oct. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have an earlier version of this game that does the job in a more basic way but has been made obsolete by changes in Vista, this is such a rip off all round. Having said that there are advantages to this new version, the main one being that I don't have to keep putting in the cd to play. There's also a lot more choice of levels and opponents than the earlier version I have. It's irritating that the computer player cheats a lot, I haven't yet figured out how to challenge, and at times I am left marvelling at the weird words that are ranged against me at the higher levels, still, I'm enjoying playing.