Profile for Eolake > Reviews

Content by Eolake

Eolake "eolake (.com)" (Lancashire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Red Vines Liquorice Tub 1.8 kg
Red Vines Liquorice Tub 1.8 kg
Offered by united care

2.0 out of 5 stars Lower quality?, 3 Aug. 2015
Can't fault the price, but I think they are produced seperately from the normal ones, the quality simple did not seem to be the same. Many may not notice, but I couldn't shake that feeling.

Zebra Pen 25117 1.00mm Expandz - Pink
Zebra Pen 25117 1.00mm Expandz - Pink
Offered by Saver Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beauty, Zebra Expandz pen, 30 July 2015
I love this pen.
1) It writes smoothly.
2) I like that it can be made compact.
2) It is lovely to hold.
4) It is *beautiful*!
The metallic shine of the colors, and the mother-of-pearl-like lustre of the white model are just, well, beautiful. I have not yet seen any pen at any price which holds this attraction for me.

I have found other colors, like dark blue and grey, and bright orange and green. If those have gone out of production, I hope they come back.

I have also found a Mini model of this pen (7cm when pushed together), and if anything that one is even more charming and beautiful. I hope that will get in production again, too.

Staedtler Mars Plastic 52650BK2DA Eraser (Pack of 2)
Staedtler Mars Plastic 52650BK2DA Eraser (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Never need another", 13 July 2015
To have an eraser which works well, just get the ubiquitous Staedtler Mars Plastic. That minimalist white block has ruled the roost for several decades for good reasons. And they last so well I don't know how they make a biz on it.

A TIP: Do you know why your eraser sometimes will make a hard-to-erase dark streak on the paper?
Because there was finger oils on the eraser.
So: don't touch the parts of the eraser that you use on the paper. Simple once you know it. :-)

UNI-BALL JETSTREAM PREMIER SXN-310 RETRACTABLE ROLLERBALL PEN BLACK INK [PACK of 3]
Offered by Pilotfish Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it for art, it won't fade, 9 July 2015
Several independent reviewers hail the Uniball Jetstream as the best pen you can find at a reasonable price. I believe them. This is not only the smoothest pen I've ever tried. But I wonder how many people notice: Uni-ball, with Jetstream, is so far as I'm aware the only ballpoint/rollerball maker which uses LIGHT-FAST INK, also known as FADE-PROOF. Which means that it will not fade fast if subjected to strong light, as almost *all* ink will. This is important, and I hope other pen makers take up the challenge.

uni-ball Jetstream SX-210 Rollerball Pens - Black, Pack of 3
uni-ball Jetstream SX-210 Rollerball Pens - Black, Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Fade-proof. Very rare, 9 July 2015

BIC Deutschland M10 Clic 844345 Retractable Ballpoint Pen 0.4 mm Pack of 50 Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A stalwart product, 8 July 2015
If you take the price into consideration, and most have to, this is a fantastic product. In fact it was my favorite pen for many years. Smooth running and bold compared to the scratchy competition.

uni-ball Jetstream Premier SXN-310 - Black, Pack of 12
uni-ball Jetstream Premier SXN-310 - Black, Pack of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pen, wrong price, 7 July 2015
This pen is my new favorite. It is actually smoother than the famous Mountblanc pens, believe it or not. But 70 pounds for 12 is almost six pounds per pen. It's a good value, but at the moment here you can get three for nine or ten pounds, that's even better value, almost half price compared to this offer.

UNI-BALL JETSTREAM PREMIER SXN-310 RETRACTABLE ROLLERBALL PEN BLACK INK
UNI-BALL JETSTREAM PREMIER SXN-310 RETRACTABLE ROLLERBALL PEN BLACK INK
Offered by Jak Stationers Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars My current favorite, 6 July 2015
With the Uni-ball Jetstream series being praised by reviewers, and this one being called Premier, I expected it to be good. And it is. It has the smoothest writing I've tried, and a very nice rubber grip. Even the click action is luxurious, maybe it's air-dampened or something.
Sure, you can get pens for almost nothing, even pretty good pens. But why not treat yourself to having pleasure in writing. At ten quid for three, this is surely not the item which will break your budget!

Oxford Children's Classics: Anne of Green Gables
Oxford Children's Classics: Anne of Green Gables
by L.M. Montgomery

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a favorite!, 29 Jun. 2015
This book (and its wonderful sequels) is NOT just for children or girls. Heck, Mark Twain thought Anne was one of the best characters he had read.
Notice if you buy ebooks, you can get the WHOLE series in one book very cheaply here on Amazon. (Well, almost all the books, you may have to find "Anne of Windy Willows" (or "... Poplars") separately, since that is not yet out of copyright.

These books are so funny, and yet has so much beauty and wisdom.

BlackRapid Metro Strap for Camera with 5 Year Product Warranty
BlackRapid Metro Strap for Camera with 5 Year Product Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars BlackRapid Metro, compact quality, 21 Jun. 2015
Camera straps are one of those things which have hardly changed since the birth of cameras. It's just a simple strap which goes up to your shoulder. Okay, now they are wider and made of ballistic nylon, and long ago they were leather. I have a pre-war Rolleiflex double-lens reflex camera with its original strap, it's leather and I can't believe how narrow it is (and how worn). Must be around a centimeter, under half an inch. But the camera is clearly very used indeed, so it seems the strap has held for over half a century.

About seven years ago, I found a one-man company who made a strap called the Y-strap. Unfortunately he has since closed shop. The brilliance of that strap was mostly in the simple idea that you put in on the shoulder opposite the camera, so it wouldn't slide off, and secondly that the camera was mounted in such a way that it would slide on the strap, so in less than a second you could grab it down by your hip and swing it up and fire.

This excellent idea has fortunately been continued by a bigger company called BlackRapid. They make several models (admittedly some of them seem to push the raîson d'etre thing a little), and they are all based on the same idea as the Y-strap. But they have added several features, most importantly a big, comfy stretch of padding which rests on your shoulder, so even with a heavy camera and long hours, the risk of discomfort is minimized.

I've bought two: the Yeti, which can carry one or two cameras (one on each side of the body), and the Metro, which is the "compact model" for minimal space use when traveling. I am just trying out the Metro (which of course has the smallest shoulder pad), and even with my heaviest camera and heaviest lens, it feels very comfortable. Of course I can't yet vouch for how it will feel carrying it for five hours, but I can say that it does not at all feel like I'm carrying the heaviest gear I have. And that's just with the most compact strap, so that induces trust.

I found out about this strap from a video on Luminous landscape, and it was mentioned that many of the photographers on their long-range camera expedition were using BlackRapid straps, so clearly the word-of-mouth recommendations are strong.

Note: BlackRapid likes to mount the strap via the tripod thread. But if it fits you better, you can also use either side strap mount, though you may have to use a keyring-ring as go-between.
Note 2: Some Amazon reviews complain about the prices, but I think those are people who haven't tried them yet. The Metro I think has a quite fair price ($37). The Yeti costs quite a lot more (£76), but when you pack it out: man, it's impressive. That is solid gear, I think you really get a lot for your money. (Of course it's about equivalent of two good straps, plus extras to secure it around the shoulder, I guess in case you're photographing from a plane doing stunts...)
Also the steel bits are kewl. They seem like they could lift a car (I wouldn't be surprised), and they are even nice to look at, with semi-black anodization (similar to Apple's "Space Grey").

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17