Profile for Flowerpot > Reviews

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good story, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This book exceeded my initial expectations as it starts rather slowly and takes a while for the plot to unfold. It is a disturbing tale of dysfunctional parenting, resulting in an adult woman, Amy, who believes that she is the centre of the universe and develops a psychopathic personality. Predictably, she soon begins to tire of her husband, who cannot keep up the initial intensity of their previously ecstatic relationship and so she becomes dissatisfied, resentful, intensely manipulative and dangerous.
From this point the mystery as to what happened to Amy when she disappeared is told from the viewpoint of the wife and the husband alternatively. It is a well crafted and very well researched plot. The reader's sympathies see saw from one protagonist to the other, until the truth is revealed.
The reader ends up wondering just how anyone could cover every possibility in their planning. The patience and attention to detail needed to execute the plans leave the reader almost incredulous. The perfect 'murder'?
My only criticism of the book is that the quality of the actual writing isn't wonderful, but this doesn't really detract from the quality of the story.

LeapFrog LeapPad2 Power (Green)
LeapFrog LeapPad2 Power (Green)
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids love them, but I am disappointed., 22 Oct 2013
I bought two of these for 4 year old twins who love them. What I really don't like is the American voice, the apps which are expensive and dominated by American children's cultural characters, notably Disney, and the fact that nothing eg photos, can be loaded onto the devices from other sources. I think they are reasonably robust and so are fine for younger kids, but I really think that by the time kids are 5 or 6 years old a cheap Android tablet would be a MUCH better investment. The songs already loaded are truly awful, but the drawing app and the camera are quite good. However, for my twins, they have helped them to be able to sit still and concentrate and so far they haven't destroyed them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 1:31 PM GMT

ADONIT JOT PRO Stylus STYLUS PENS
ADONIT JOT PRO Stylus STYLUS PENS
Offered by Pitstar
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little item, 12 Sep 2013
I bought this to draw on my i-pod using a drawing app to sketch outdoors instead of sketching in watercolour. I absolutely love it. It has opened up a complete new drawing medium to me. I am very pleased with it.

Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Traitor, Hero, Spy (reissued)
Price: 0.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Spy Story, 2 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It has as many twists and turns as a novel, but all true. It is written in a very easy-to-read style and is obviously well-researched. A real and fascinating insight into a little revealed aspect of the second world war, and the risks that ordinary people were prepared to take behind enemy lines as spies and double agents. Recommended to anyone who enjoys a spy thriller on indeed anyone interested in the war.

The Shack
The Shack
Price: 5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Disney meets Star Trek in the Garden of Eden, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
I came to this book with an open mind as it had been chosen for my book group. I was expecting at least some decent theological or philosophical debate to get my teeth into , but I just found it laughable. Walls of caves turning transparent - seeing deceased children playing by a waterfall - meeting up with the Holy Trinity in a shed in the woods which became a perfect forest garden complete with lake, streams and waterfalls....And as for the Holy Trinity...what a set of wimps, all 'chuckles' and chumminess and 'good home cooking'. Yuck. All it needed was Captain Kirk and Mr Spock to wander in and it would have been more believable. And then the convenient road accident to try to explain away the 'experience' for the rest of the characters.
I'm afraid this book did nothing to raise my opinion of a lot of American writing. Its just too sentimental, too shallow and just too Disney.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2013 10:19 PM BST

Zoggs Adult Reef Explorer snorkel and goggles snorkeling set.
Zoggs Adult Reef Explorer snorkel and goggles snorkeling set.
Offered by Dorking Sports
Price: 12.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaky masks, 24 Feb 2012
We bought these to replace some rather well-used gear that had started to leak, thinking that we would be snorkelling in the Canaries in leak-less comfort. I wish we'd taken the old ones as the Zoggs leaked really badly. We are experienced snorkellers and no matter what we did we ended up with a mask full of seawater which was a shame as the places we were trying to snorkel were full of interesting fish and invertebrates.
The problem seemed to be the nose bit, where there is only a single seal. The rest of the mask is double sealed. I was disappointed as on the whole this product got good reviews, so it must be OK for some people.

The Lost Men: The Harrowing Story of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party
The Lost Men: The Harrowing Story of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party
by Kelly Tyler-Lewis
Price: 17.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Gripping Read, 30 May 2011
Most people will have heard of Ernest Shackleton's ill-fated expedition to cross the Antarctic continent, its disastrous failure when his ship sank and his subsequent heroic escape and rescue of his men. What is almost unknown about is the story of the men who landed on the other side of the continent with the job of supplying Shackleton's trans Antarctic party on the latter part of their journey. With no means of communication they had no way of knowing that disaster had befallen Shackleton and that he wasn't coming, so they endured the most unimaginable hardship and privations in order to complete their task all to no end.
In this modern world of instant global communication, satellite imaging and scientific advances in nutrition, expedition training, clothing and so forth it is almost unbelievable how naive, poorly prepared and under equipped these men were. Yet they carried out their duties with a will that defies explanation. They were certainly made of strerner stuff in those days. Their story is also truly heroic and I enjoyed it enormously. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Polar exploration or to anyone who likes a good adventure story. It is very well researched and well written and I congratulate the author on telling a story that deserves to be told.

3 WAY OPTICAL AUDIO SPDIF CABLE SWITCHING UNIT 3-1 SWITCH
3 WAY OPTICAL AUDIO SPDIF CABLE SWITCHING UNIT 3-1 SWITCH
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 6.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugly but functional, 30 July 2010
This piece of kit is an ugly cheap looking piece of silver painted plastic, and the switch is awkward to operate. You have to pick the thing up in order to turn the switch and the whole thing just looks so clumsy and out-dated. Having said that it works fine, so as they say in Yorkshire, "handsome is as handsome does".

4 x GARDEN STAINLESS STEEL SOLAR SPOTLIGHTS SPOT LIGHTS
4 x GARDEN STAINLESS STEEL SOLAR SPOTLIGHTS SPOT LIGHTS

1.0 out of 5 stars Dim and disappointing, 30 July 2010
Although these little lights are aesthetically not as ugly as some solar lights the light they give out is so dim as to be completely useless. We bought them to spotlight various attractive pots in our small rear garden and they are so dim that even with all four pointing at one pot you would hardly notice that it is lit at all. A candle in a jar would give out more light and be a lot cheaper!