Profile for Cheeky Monkey > Reviews

Content by Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey (Glasgow UK)

The Madness and the Magic
The Madness and the Magic
by Sheena Cundy

5.0 out of 5 stars We al need a little magic in our lives., 23 Jan. 2016
We all need a little magic in our lives. This book was a joy to read. Not only because I identify with menopausal Minerva but because in the often dismal world we live in it is so good just to read for pleasure, at leisure, and have a wee chuckle into the bargain.
“The Madness and the Magic”. Not heavy reading. Slip it into your flight or beach bag, or simply download to Kindle. It’s a real tonic.
I suspect that Sheena Cundy is a name we will hear more of in the future ranks of Witch-Lit. I certainly hope so.

History Riddles: A Treasure Trove Book
History Riddles: A Treasure Trove Book
by Leon Conrad

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool for school, 17 May 2015
I am a sucker for quizzes. Although I had never heard of an Odyssey Grid, that in itself drew me to explore “History Riddles”. Not knowing much about a subject has never stopped me from embarking on a quiz. After all it is a learning process and next time round I may well have the golden answer when it crops up in the pub trivia quiz.
There is nothing trivia about “History Riddles”. This book strikes me as an educator’s bible. The format, the information and the fun factor all add up to an inspirational read.
I commissioned (with chocolate bars and fizzy drinks) a group of teenage history buffs to join me on the journey through history as we worked our way through the pages a chunk at a time.
Of course their young minds gave me a right showing up with their knowledge of historical characters and events. If this book had been around when I was at school I am sure it would have drawn me towards the subject. Combined with the professional style of writing and basic but appropriate cover, this book is a winner in my opinion.
I urge all head teachers out there to get this on their school book list for next term.

Briar Blackwood's Grimmest of Fairytales
Briar Blackwood's Grimmest of Fairytales
by Timothy Roderick

4.0 out of 5 stars Roderick is a writer to look out for!, 17 May 2015
I know we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but this cover drew me in. Actually reading the book was a strange, frightening experience. At times my instinct was to throw it away as it sent chills through me in waves. Curiosity kept me turning the pages. A bit like the feeling you get when you first experience a roller coaster ride or a bungy jump. It is scary but exciting and once it's over you feel glad of the experience. Roderick has a unique style of writing that almost compels you to read on. The imagery, plot and strong characters show the work of a writer to look out for. Not for the faint hearted. Brilliant for a reader's group as I am sure it would activate high energy discussion.

Bunnets 'n' Bowlers: A Clydeside Odyssey
Bunnets 'n' Bowlers: A Clydeside Odyssey
by Brian Whittingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Clock out and read this collection, 27 Mar. 2013
Whether you are a baker or a barman, a farmer or a folk singer you are sure to relate to some of the characters and incidents within the covers of this fabby collection. Give yourself a treat and smile at the irony as you settle back to enjoy reading about working lives.

Just another brilliant poetry collection from Brian Whittingham
Bunnets 'n' Bowlers
Drink the Green Fairy

Clocking In Clocking Out: Poems and Photographs on the subject of Work
Clocking In Clocking Out: Poems and Photographs on the subject of Work
by Brian Whittingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Clcok off for a while and enjoy this collection, 27 Mar. 2013
Whether you are a baker or barman, farmer or folk singer, you are sure to find something to enjoy within the covers of Clocking in Clocking out.
Dip in and out over time and you will find yourself recognising situations and characters from your own working life.

One of many from Brian Whittingham
Great collections.Bunnets 'n' Bowlers
Drink the Green Fairy

Womens Winter Mucker Black Flat Fur Lined Moon Ladies Mucker Wellies Wellington Rain Snow Boots Winter Calf Knee Boots Size with shoeFashionista
Offered by shoeFashionista

5.0 out of 5 stars boots, 19 Jan. 2013
I have hardly had these off they are so comfortable, only small complaint is that the in-sole folded up on me so i EVENTUALLY HAD TO TAKE THAT OUT BUT SOX ARE GOOD WITH THESE BOOTS

Womens Ladies S1A Black / Pewter Patent Winter Faux Fur Waterproof Jogger Moon Yeti Flat Ski Snow Boots Size 5

4.0 out of 5 stars great wee boots, 19 Jan. 2013
a great change from boring wellies and funky with it. Love the metallics. Light and comfy lots of colours may buy more

FLOSO® Ladies/Womens Extra Warm Thermal Padded Ski Gloves with Palm Grip (Adjustable) (One Size) (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars stiff little fingers, 19 Jan. 2013
good cosy and warm but a bit stiff I am hoping they will soften with wear. I am sure that they will

Hi-Tec Women's Zermatt 200 Hpi Black Snow Boot O001428/021/01 5 UK
Hi-Tec Women's Zermatt 200 Hpi Black Snow Boot O001428/021/01 5 UK
Offered by Rubbersole

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy amd cosy, 19 Jan. 2013
Comfy cosy and look good with boots or skirt/ not too causal and not too dressy bought for myself but teenager daughter has been caught borrowing them