Profile for D. McKown > Reviews

Content by D. McKown

D. McKown "DJ Därko" (San Diego, CA USA)

DURUTTI COLUMN / IDIOT SAVANTS
DURUTTI COLUMN / IDIOT SAVANTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Escapist Fare. Music beyond normal boundaries., 7 July 2009
Keeping this review brief. The Durutti Column is in its own class of music. Pure, beautiful, relaxing escapism from a musical genius. Vini Reilly has always kept to his original musical vision and has never sold out to commercial pressures. We love you Vini. You are a true artist.

ENTERTAINMENT
ENTERTAINMENT
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Balanced Review!, 28 April 2009
This review is from: ENTERTAINMENT (Audio CD)
I am a fan of FS. Their debut album #1, although not consistently good, was a fair introduction but it was obvious that Warren Fischer and Casey Spooner were newbies and had some growing to do as musicians.

Odyssey, their second outing, showed they had grown significantly. This album is consistent and much better developed than #1. Production values have improved dramatically with Odyssey.

Now comes their third outing, "Entertainment." Not as much creative growth, musically, has been achieved here as with Odyssey, but the strengths here are that the songs are catchy and fun. Musically, this album is on par with Odyssey except that "Entertainment" shifts FS more in the direction of alternative electro ROCK. More electric guitar is being used than has been before.

Entertainment is on equal par with Odyssey. I am not disappointed with this album. It just puts a smile on my face everytime I hit play.

DJ Därko
San Diego

Out Of The Woods
Out Of The Woods
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Enough Of This!, 15 Mar 2007
This review is from: Out Of The Woods (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Everything But The Girl (EBTG) ever since the Todd Terry remix of Missing became a huge club hit. I've enjoyed pretty much all of their efforts since then. It's been quite a while (6 or 7 years) since we've seen any new material from Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn as a band.

Now comes a new solo effort from Tracey and it is fresh and fantastic. This is coming from a music snob. This is a great, great album. I am also a big a fan and collector of Ewan Pearson remixes from artists including Goldfrapp, the Pet Shop Boys, Röyksopp, Chemical Brothers and more. He has consistently produced and remixed high class disco.

So put these two together and you have to expect a high class album. It's a must buy for EBTG fans and I predict it could be a hit. My two cents anyway.

Ta Dah!
Ta Dah!
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it time, it's a grower..., 7 Oct 2006
This review is from: Ta Dah! (Audio CD)
As a big fan of the Scissor Sisters first album, I had huge expectations for Ta-Dah!. My first reaction after hearing it was... "This can't be. This album just SUCKS!!!" But I was looking for something else than what we get on Ta-Dah. I told several friends to avoid this album, it will flop. "Garbage," I said.

Then three of my friends said they heard this album and like it. I was thinking "Did we hear the same record?" So I took the album hesitantly to a party my neighbors were having. I put it on and to my surprise, it dawned on me that to enjoy this album, you've got to put your "let's party" hats on and just listen while you're having fun at a party. It was like an entirely new experience and I saw "Ta-Dah" in a whole new light.

So, although I think their first album is their best so far, Ta-Dah is really not that bad if you go in looking for a fun, campy time. It's meant to be listened to while partying. Go in realizing this, and you should enjoy it.

So I was surprised to hate, no I loathed it, on first listen, and after letting it soak in, I actually enjoy it now. It's a grower which is a surprise since I didn't think I would change my mind, but I did. Miracles do happen.

It would really give this 3 and a half stars, but because there aren't half stars, I'll opt for three stars. It's not as much a classic as the first, but it's still got some good moments.

Ciao,

Dennis

San Diego

USA

Supernature
Supernature
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh La La... IS RIGHT!!!, 2 Sep 2005
This review is from: Supernature (Audio CD)
Being a fan of Goldfrapp since 'Felt Mountain,' I come to look forward to excellent work from Alison and Will with each new release. 'Supernature' proves Goldfrapp is headed for greatness. Interestingly though, 'Supernature' isn't expected to be released in the United States until February 2006. Perhaps Mute wants to wait until Goldfrapp finishes their European tour and schedules a US tour so they can promote it right after its release in the states.
I went ahead and purchased the CD/DVD editon. There's some interesting video material on that including a mini-documentary and animated video. Something not many people know is that whenever Alison and Will record an album, they rent out a cottage in a secluded area of England, bring their own equiment, make it comfortable and spring forth great electronic music.
What's up with the two star rating on here? There's always going to be differing opinions but suffice it to say that if 'Black Cherry' was a hit in your music library, 'Supernature' will be a repeat performance.
Most favorite tracks on Supernature: Ooh La La, Ride A White Horse, U Never Know, Fly Me Away, Slide In, Satin Chic and Number 1.
Least favorite track: Let It Take You.
BTW, if you're a die hard fan and are looking for hard-to-find tracks, I have to mention that on the Japanese import version of 'Supernature' there is an excellent bonus track called 'Beautiful' which is another glam-electro track similar to Ooh La La, maybe even better than Ooh La La. This will probably be a B-side on an upcoming CD single.
Listening to this album is sort of like going for a tour through Willie Wonka's chocolate factory. Enjoy!
Dennis
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2008 10:34 AM BST

Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
Offered by Top End Distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Shining Brighter Than "Good Looking Blues", 1 Nov 2003
I've been following this band since "Sounds Of The Satellites." Their third release "Good Looking Blues" was a bit of a darker effort than "Sounds." I liked Good Looking Blues, but found myself somewhat removed from it and not completely loving it altogether. I knew it was good, but wasn't convinced.
Now they've released their fourth effort "Wherever I am I am what is missing" and I wasn't sure what to expect. After listening to some samples on Amazon.com, I was instantly interested. I went ahead and purchased it at a local import shoppe being the bargain hunter that I am.
I've just given it the fourth listen to. The only thing I can say about this effort is it is more accessible than "Good Looking Blues." Not quite as dark, a bit more like "Sounds Of The Satellites"... brighter and more melodic. I noticed more of an emphasis on percussion and drum'n'bass which works well for them.
The overall sound hasn't changed. It struck me as more intimate and personal than the last. This is just a more accessible effort for me than the last effort. An impressive and enjoyable effort at that.
This, just one man's opinion. Make up your own mind you should.

Offered by J4G

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Dub Reconstructions Better Than Originals, 5 Nov 2000
This review is from: Suzuki in Dub (Audio CD)
Tosca's original "Suzuki" was an excellent more upbeat follow-up to "Opera." This follow-up to "Suzuki" is even better than one might have expected...enjoyable in its entirety. Can't recommend it more highly to fans of the trip hop/lounge genre. Happy chilling!!

Offered by J4G

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Dub Reconstructions Better Than Originals, 5 Nov 2000
This review is from: Suzuki in Dub (Audio CD)

Puzzle
Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Stereolab-like-Rock with Male Vocal, 29 Sep 2000
This review is from: Puzzle (Audio CD)
This album is a pleasant surprise. The style borrows from Air and Stereolab while offering a very nice live acoustic sound that adds to its uniqueness. Very hip and tasteful.
5 stars out of five.