Profile for alekhine > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Womens Sexy Babydoll Lingerie set womens Lace Nightwear Top with Skirt Green
Womens Sexy Babydoll Lingerie set womens Lace Nightwear Top with Skirt Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 26 Aug. 2015
Just a bit of fun; surprisingly well made for £5 including postage. Fitted Mrs Alekhine (slim, bust 36B) very well, but would also work on someone
somewhat larger.

Sparkle Badydoll Dress Set - Red Women's Sexy Lingerie
Sparkle Badydoll Dress Set - Red Women's Sexy Lingerie

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 18 April 2013
This is a bit of fun and certainly at least as well made as one could expect from the price; it hardly "sheds" at all.
Only the very young could get away with wearing it as in the photo (i.e. out and about as a dress) but at home it's fine, or
perhaps with leggings for going out. The "one size" fitted size 10 bust 36 fine.

Finjan Club
Finjan Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Two trains, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Finjan Club (Audio CD)
Many years ago I acquired a lot of Dylan material on reel-to-reel including a version of the "Gaslight Tapes"
which includes this material, which Paul Cable's (old) book remarks was in some quarters believed to be recorded
in Montreal.

I bought this CD because of the version of "Two Trains Running". I can still remember the first time I heard it on the tape all those years ago. I believe it to be one of his best blues performances,certainly up there with "In my time of Dying" on
his first album, and far better than "Fixin' to Die" there.

There are some other good performances, and then CD fizzles out with a failed attempt to sing an old Jack Elliot classic
Muleskinner Blues. If you have any interest in early Dylan you have to get it for "Two Trains Running"; it appears
on the "Minnesota Party Tape", but this is later, and a much more mature performance.

So why only 4 stars? Well, back in my bootleg collecting days, my heart
used to sink (just a little) at the prospect of hearing another version
of Emmett Till. In his songs about specific atrocities, there is a
remarkable evolution from this song, through "Oxford Town", "Davey
Moore" and "Hattie Carroll", culminating in the magnificent "Only a Pawn".

To be fair, the last verse of Emmett Till is pretty good.

Satin Basque with Full Zip Front - 25907
Satin Basque with Full Zip Front - 25907
Price: £46.84 - £55.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Success, 25 Oct. 2012
I bought this item during a recent trip to the States (from amazon.com...it was significantly cheaper than at home) as
a present for my wife. I got the green version; it's a nice colour which goes well with her red hair.

The combination of back laces and front zip make it very easy to fit well, and get on and off. Unsurprisingly I like it a lot, but more importantly so does she. It seems well made and looks classy.

A Princess of Mars: John Carter of Mars, Book 1
A Princess of Mars: John Carter of Mars, Book 1
by Edgar Rice Burroughs

4.0 out of 5 stars Influence, 8 Mar. 2012
I read this and the other Carter books when I was young and loved them. The review I would have written has already been done (very well) by John Cousins; all I would add is this. These books obviously influenced the "Gor" series by John Norman, recently issued in a new edition after being, I believe, out of print for many years. Out of print, perhaps, because in terms of treatment of gender issues they make the Carter novels seem like "The Female Eunuch".

Of course the Carter books are not great literature. But if you like Conan Doyle, Wells or Verne you will like them.
I can't wait to see the film; it's possible my wife may even be willing to accompany me.

Sexy Sequin Embroidered Babydoll Nightdress, Nightie in Black
Sexy Sequin Embroidered Babydoll Nightdress, Nightie in Black
Offered by NW Traders AG

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Feb. 2012
This is obviously the sort of thing often bought by men for their partners, with mixed results. In this case it was a considerable success, my wife liked
it very much, both the general shape and the detailing. She is size 8/10
bust 36A and it fitted fine.

The Doings of Raffles Haw
The Doings of Raffles Haw

4.0 out of 5 stars Victorian morality, 9 Aug. 2011
I read a lot of Conan Doyle in my youth including (obviously) all the Sherlock books, but also all the Professor Challenger ones, some of which were a bit more of a challenge (sorry). This is a short work, and a good read; I enjoyed it. I still admire his breadth of imagination. The science is unrealistic, as remarked by a previous reviewer, but it wasn't when it was written. The only problem is the moral of the story, (outlined in the Amazon synopsis, so don't read that if you want to maintain suspense) which grates somewhat on the modern reader...this one anyway. But perhaps I should be as tolerant of human evolution in this respect as I am in the description of science.

As You Were
As You Were

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SoH Album?, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: As You Were (Audio CD)
The first time I saw SoH was at Pacific Road in Birkenhead. I was staggered by how good they were. At the CD desk I am very grateful to some fan for suggesting this album; it remains my favourite. I like everything they do, but some of the studio albums are a little uneven, whereas here they seem to get it all right. In particular, the pairing of "Train" with "Santiago" (not what they usually pair "Train" with, in my experience) is inspired, and the presence of Miranda on this song raises it a to another level. Likewise she adds a lot to "Blue Cockade".

This is a ridiculous price for a superb double album. If you don't have anything by
them, this is where to start, as I did.

Postscript: there is some quite amusing banter in "secret track mode" after the last listed song if you have the patience to let it running.

Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Richard Thompson
Offered by pokerbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Mar. 2010
I first saw Thompson (with Linda) at the 1975 Oxford Poly concert, songs of which featured on various subsequent CD compilations, and which was recently released in complete form. This DVD finds him in very good shape. It is an electric set, with drums and bass (the excellent Danny Thompson, of Pentangle, if you can remember that far back). On recent tours I have often seen him solo (an exception being the 1000 years of Popular Music tour,where he has two companions: this was good too) so this is an interesting contrast with more overtly lead-guitar playing. The sound is good enough, and it is well photographed so if you are interested in technique you can observe his somewhat unusual combined plectrum/finger-picking style. (He rarely adopts straight finger-picking: Vincent Black Lightning being a prominent counter example, but that's not here).

The date is 2001 and the choice of material is "middle period" with little from Richard and Linda days. But the Man has written so many good songs.

If you've read this far and don't own the DVD you obviously should buy it. And the Live in Providence one (recorded two years later and arguably even better).

Where The Time Goes
Where The Time Goes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Early Compilation, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Where The Time Goes (Audio CD)
I still possess the three vinyl objects from which most of the material on this album is drawn, and first saw Sandy Denny at Windsor Folk Club in 1968 or 1969.

This CD is a real bargain. The first track is an outstanding version of
her own "Who Knows Where The Time Goes", (not "Been On The Road So Long" as, oddly, suggested in the Amazon listing) which is alone worth the price. Other highlights include moving versions of two Jackson C. Frank classics; if you like Sandy and aren't familiar with Jackson C. Frank, I recommend you buy his original album too. His most covered song is "Blues Run the Game".

The excellent version of "Been On The Road So Long" with Sandy on lead vocal is here, along with the Hallmark album version with Alex Campbell singing. He wrote the song, and a good one it is, which presumably explains the choice of version for that album, but oh dear.

As remarked by other reviewers, the album notes are very good.

Page: 1 | 2