Profile for Miss Samantha A. French > Reviews

Content by Miss Samantha ...

Miss Samantha A. French "221BSam" (England, UK)

Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD]
Once Upon a Time - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks 'Once' for making it cool for a 28 year old to openly love Disney! ;), 5 Aug 2012
I love this show! my favourite by far, created & written by 'Lost' alum Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz this show is awesome! it definitely has 'Lost' esque nuances, one being a timeline that twists & turns through two timelines whilst never losing the thread & becoming confusing.

Extremely well written, you need to watch it to understand but the actors in the show have two sides let's say. Personally I think the characters in the show are the strongest aspect, the writing in general is brilliant, a show is nothing without a script after all however the casting is also so strong, none more so then the character of Rumpelstiltskin sublimely played by Robert Carlyle, both of his characters are compelling & so very watchable. The whole cast is strong & you will find at least one that you love in no time.

Filmed in beautiful Vancouver in stunning locations, being a keen rider myself you've no idea what I'd give to canter through that enchanted forest, the set design & costumes are magnificent, the whole show has such high production values as you would expect with a Disney production, with I imagine a fairly generous budget. It has wonderful & creative storytelling, romance, drama, action, intrigue, it's truly a very special show.

I saw an earlier comment that said it's not up to the standard of HBO's 'Game Of Thrones', I personally prefer this as the sex & violence of GOT doesn't appeal to me, that does not make this show second rate!
If you enjoy creative, wonderful storytelling, a struggle between good & evil, compelling characters & above all a love story then give this a try & become spellbound like the rest of us 'Oncers', cannot wait for the second season, bring it on!

Smash - Season 1 [DVD]
Smash - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Debra Messing

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so smashed!.... oh & it's so not glee, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Love. love, LOVE this show, it's been eviscerated by the critics, mostly I imagine because some guy called Steven Spielberg is attached to the project, it made it pretty high profile.
I waited to watch this until I knew it had been renewed, I hate getting into a show & then see it cancelled, luckily it has been. Now I'm not saying Smash is perfect, some of the story lines have gone a bit off course & I would agree that the whole show can feel a little un-even at times. That said; I forget all that when they do a musical number, the show has such high production values & plenty of talent, I happily do the horses to the '20th century mambo' - then try to get it in out of my head for days, so catchy...
As I said the casting is brilliant, there seems to be some dislike of Katharine Mcphee across the pond, as she was an 'idol' runner up, maybe she was super obnoxious on there, I don't know, I never saw it. Personally I think she plays the naivety of Karen Cartwright extremely well & think the US critics should perhaps give her a break, if nothing else she can certainly sing, the season finale was, well I wont spoil but amazing!
I love Debra Messing & Christian Borle's chacters, the collaborative writing team is very believable & arguably the most solid relationship in the whole show.
My favourite character though has to be Derek Wills, the Simon Cowell esque director/choreographer, played to perfection by fellow England native- Jack Davenport, I just can't get enough of Derek's snark & ultimately his dedication to the project.
I'm so pleased it's been re-newed for a second season & cannot wait to get my season 1 dvd, as I said there are weaknesses but the foundation is solid & I have confidence it will be made even better then it is now.
A fun show with great songs, extremely watchable & likable characters.... what's not to love?

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely & utterly Sherlocked....., 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I've a confession to make; I was a late comer to this show, as a lifelong fan of Sherlock Holmes, I'm afraid I found the idea of a Sherlock with an iPhone to be quite abhorrent & felt this would be some kind of awful remake. I am extremely happy to say I was delighted to be proven wrong. So much so i happily display a 'keep calm & text Sherlock' picture on my wall (yes, I'm 'one of those' people).

The first episode of Sherlock I watched was 'The Hounds of 'Baskerville' friends of mine had been encouraging me to watch but due to the reason above I had ob-stained, the promo looked intriguing & so I watched it. I had originally only intended on watching maybe twenty minutes or so, just to see what it was like & before I knew it I'd watched the full ninety minutes.

Benedict is captivating as Sherlock, he portrays the eccentricity, intelligence & almost narcissism at times wonderfully. Martin Freeman is a great sidekick, this Watson is very witty & is truly a match for Benedict's take on the character. Mark Gatiss was born to be Mycroft, the way he twirls his umbrella, right from the start there's something you don't quite trust about him, also really enjoy the sibling squabbling between the two characters. Andrew Scott plays a truly chilling Moriarty, he plays the mixture of manipulative criminal mastermind & completely unpredictable slightly psychotic genius amazingly well.
The key thing is with this show is casting, the chemistry between the characters is phenomenal, they've really caught lightning in a bottle.

Having thoroughly enjoyed 'Hounds' I went back to the beginning & watched season one, the pilot is incredibly dark in places but the writing is outstanding. Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss have pulled off an update of the traditional canon flawlessly. There's plenty for a traditionalist to enjoy, subtle nuances in the stories & references. Also plenty to hook younger audiences who perhaps don't know the originals, there's clever plays on words & 'inside jokes' to entertain.

The second episode of the first season was still very good but lacked a certain something, the finale again was incredibly creepy but fantastically acted.

Moving onto the second season & wow! my favourite episode has to be the first, I won't spoil for those who haven't seen but it has everything: romance (after a fashion) coupled with intrigue, suspense & so much humour. I've watched this episode more times then I'd like to admit, it's just a complete joy. 'Hounds' again is more evidence of the astounding talent in the creative team, the writing, direction, everything is spot on.
By the time final episode of the season aired I was well & truly 'Sherlocked' , it took the viewer on a rollercoaster ride building to an extremely suspenseful ending. I don't think I breathed for the full ninety minutes.

I don't believe in hype, usually things that get a lot I tend to shy away from, this is truly deserving of it though, Steven & Mark get criticised for such short seasons, they really do give you quality entertainment though. I cannot wait to see the third season, by the sounds of it, it will be a while due to the extremely well deserved attention Benedict & Martin have gotten mostly from appearing in this show.
So as I conclude buy it, the game's afoot! & become Sherlocked too, you won't regret it...

Rookie Blue: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
Rookie Blue: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Missy Peregrym

5.0 out of 5 stars Grey's academy but still so good :), 12 Mar 2011
Started watching this when it started showing in England, I liked it straight away, it is very grey's anatomy hence 'grey's academy' but it really works, as I have absolutely no patience I managed to watch all of season one online & I'm hooked.
Don't write this off as your average cop show cos it really isn't. It marries the perfect combination of drama & comedy, with a little romance thrown in for good measure. Missy Peregrym (Reaper) is brilliant as Andy Mcnally the main character & her TO (training officer) Sam Swarek played by a relative unknown- Ben Bass is just as good, they have great chemistry together & not to go all girly but he's quite the biscuit ;)
The stories are engaging & heartfelt, the rest of the ensemble cast all play strong characters, I absolutely love this show it gets very funny, also emotional, it doesn't glamourise being a police officer at all, it tells it like it is.
It's not difficult to see why after three episodes airing overseas it got picked up for a second season. Keeping it rookie blue all the way :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2011 1:46 PM BST

Burn Notice: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Burn Notice: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jeffrey Donovan
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome! (not enough publicity in UK), 22 Feb 2009
This show is just brill it's clever and expertly written. This series has it all drama, comedy, action and a clever story to boot. Jeffrey Donovan is one fit guy and is easy on the eyes for us ladies. Gabrielle Anwar is very pretty and the ongoing saga beween Mikey and Fi is so endearing. Bruce Campbell plays an excellent supporting role as Sam also. This show gets zilch publicity in the UK but is really good if you like the bourne franchise you'll love this a spy who uses his brains and ingenuity rather then gadgets. Get yourself a multi region DVD player and buy this box set!